• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I was looking at them and am wondering if I can get a DECENT silencer for 200 dollars.Has anybody bought a 200 dollar silencer and been happy with it ? I heard of a company called REBEL SILENCERS and they want 200 for it,I heard a 22lr silencer at J/P GAME PRESERVE the other day on a s@w AR15 in 22.Dont know if its worth it, didnt seem quiet enough.How about BLACK ACES PRO SERIES silencers.Just debating about getting a silencer.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    What's your goal?

My first can was purposely bought to hunt with. My budget was significantly more than $200. SilencerCo Hybrid 46 on my 308 bolt gun was quiet enough to not make my ears ring when I take a deer. I met my goal.

...but by then it was too late and I was bitten by the bug and now I have (3) cans in the safe.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I was looking at them and am wondering if I can get a DECENT silencer for 200 dollars.Has anybody bought a 200 dollar silencer and been happy with it ? I heard of a company called REBEL SILENCERS and they want 200 for it,I heard a 22lr silencer at J/P GAME PRESERVE the other day on a s@w AR15 in 22.Dont know if its worth it, didnt seem quiet enough.How about BLACK ACES PRO SERIES silencers.Just debating about getting a silencer.
    I personally don't care for cans no matter how good they are. They make especially AR rifles so so dirty and can really cause tuning headaches , even more so on big bores.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    In before "suppressor" :rockwoot:

It's a matter of how much you need to use one, and how important it is to you to have. The cool factor is undeniable. Just know they are a pain in the ass to clean, much more so than any firearm, because almost every particle which used to be ejected into the air, is now being captured inside your unit and it has to be purposely removed sooner or later (or the unit gets loud and/or becomes difficult to disassemble). So if you run any significant volume through them, you better plan on having an ultrasonic parts-washer and running it a bunch. If you're the kind of person who shoots your guns a long time between cleaning them, you and suppressors will _not_ get along well. It's like owning a cat. They have to have a litter box, it has to be emptied, and they never stop :poop:ing.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Just in case you aren't aware, you will have to pay $200 for a tax stamp to the government and wait 6 to 12 months for approval after you buy the silencer. NFA items are lifetime purchases, so dont cheap out. If you want a rimfire silencer, spend $400 on a Dead Air Mask, Rugged Oculus, or EA Nyx. Dont waste your time and money on junk cans.

jakeep

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Plainfield
    I just got my first 22 can a few months ago. I was at a shooting party over the weekend and my Ruger MKII with my can on it was the most requested gun for friends to shoot. They loved no kick and no noise. I think it would be awesome to use it to train new shooters.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Anyone remember Corey? I bought one of his Thompson machine .22 suppressors to shoot behind the barn with the kids, and to be able to do so and work on their fundamentals without ear protection. Plus the tacticool fun. It's been worth it. But lord, what a pain to clean.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    In before "suppressor" :rockwoot:

It's a matter of how much you need to use one, and how important it is to you to have. The cool factor is undeniable. Just know they are a pain in the ass to clean, much more so than any firearm, because almost every particle which used to be ejected into the air, is now being captured inside your unit and it has to be purposely removed sooner or later (or the unit gets loud and/or becomes difficult to disassemble). So if you run any significant volume through them, you better plan on having an ultrasonic parts-washer and running it a bunch. If you're the kind of person who shoots your guns a long time between cleaning them, you and suppressors will _not_ get along well. It's like owning a cat. They have to have a litter box, it has to be emptied, and they never stop :poop:ing.
    I'm waiting on that self-cleaning suppressor to come out.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I bought a witt machine canister valve. I think it was 250 on sale.

Worth it, yes. High quality, no. Movie quiet, definitely not.

But I've ran it to hell and back and it keeps 556 comfortable on my pistols. Would I recommend it, probably not as it seems qc is all over the board. I like mine. I've got another 200ish dollar 556 can in jail now that's a little bigger. The witt gets used more than most of my other cans because it's just small and convenient.

Ymmv. If I were buying my first van and trying to be budget minded I'd buy a rimfire can because they are the most fun. If I were only buying a single budget centerfire can it would be yankee hill machine.

Attachments

• 20210302_165317.jpg
      20210302_165317.jpg
      2.2 MB · Views: 13

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    71E5BB5A-9F22-4C41-A5A8-57A869AC95B7.jpeg I've got 4 cans. A Surefire RC2, Griffin Revolution 45, a 9mm form 1 can on a trilug, and a form 1 22 lr can. I'd say they're all worth it.
    Form 1s can be a quick and cheap way to dip your toes in suppressors, if you have some tools and basic mechanical know how.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    22 cans are the gateway drug into the NFA world. :):

There is just something about making a quiet rifle even quieter. As much as I want some centerfire cans, I'd like some more rimfire ones so I don't have to swap them around from gun to gun.

Are silencers worth it? Despite the $200 tax and BS you have to go through to get one, they are absolutely worth it.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Absolutely worth it, IMO. I do a lot of hunting, and particularly hog hunting and coyote hunting can require several rounds, which would be very damaging for my ears without a can.

At the range, I can use ear pro. Real world, I want something to muffle my rifle. Wish I had one on my issued rifle.

A quality center fire can does not require cleaning, and can run tens of thousands of rounds before it’s toast. I run a high dollar Sig can, and a YHM Resonator, and honestly I like them equally. But given the expense of the tax stamp, you’ll want to buy a decent can, not something that will give you problems. You can’t easily sell it if you want to upgrade, after all.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If you want decent quality at a low price, then look at Witt Machine. They've been mentioned by @Ggreen

I do not know anything about them other than they're budget-oriented (and probably heavy).

IMO, Sig suppressors are also relatively inexpensive - yet extremely well made and rugged suppressors.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    If you want decent quality at a low price, then look at Witt Machine. They've been mentioned by @Ggreen

I do not know anything about them other than they're budget-oriented (and probably heavy).

IMO, Sig suppressors are also relatively inexpensive - yet extremely well made and rugged suppressors.
    I wouldn't call them decent quality. I would call them cheap and very role specific. You get what you pay for.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I wouldn't call them decent quality. I would call them cheap and very role specific. You get what you pay for.
    I have a Dead Air Nomad on order, I was told it was one of the quietest although it weighed a bit more. It's primary function is hunting. I can wear earplugs or noise activating muffs, but I am blessed to hunt a property with close ties to the owners family and we often hunt at the same time. I don't want my shot(s) to ruin their hunt.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Like anything, you get what you pay for. If a .22 rimfire silencer is what you are looking at, get one that has stainless steel innards and is easy to assemble/ disassemble. I believe in buying from a well-known and established company. Silencers are at their best when firing ammo that is below the speed of sound. Standard velocity .22 ammo fits the bill and functions in my semi-autos. I found that my .22 suppressed rifle actually shoots better groups with the suppressor on than off! Besides protecting your hearing during small game hunting, the reduction in sound doesn't disturb the game or people within ear shot.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom