• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    No but then I do not require hearing protection either.

This might sound like a stupid question but do they do anything to increase velocity? Or are their other benefits other than noise reducation?
    Velocity is a factory of barrel, bullet and powder.

But basically suppressors are like the best muzzle device you could have. There is no more effective device at controlling a barrel than a suppressor. The precision comp guys like to say they use them for everything but sound suppression, you have to wear hearing protection at a match anyway.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Velocity is a factory of barrel, bullet and powder.

But basically suppressors are like the best muzzle device you could have. There is no more effective device at controlling a barrel than a suppressor. The precision comp guys like to say they use them for everything but sound suppression, you have to wear hearing protection at a match anyway.
    So not meaning to sound like a smart butt, doesn’t the suppressor increase barrel length?

Now I am going to have to do some research on how they accomplish their noise reductio.

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    Just in case you aren't aware, you will have to pay $200 for a tax stamp to the government and wait 6 to 12 months for approval after you buy the silencer. NFA items are lifetime purchases, so dont cheap out. If you want a rimfire silencer, spend $400 on a Dead Air Mask, Rugged Oculus, or EA Nyx. Dont waste your time and money on junk cans.
    Rugged oculus is great.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    So not meaning to sound like a smart butt, doesn’t the suppressor increase barrel length?

Now I am going to have to do some research on how they accomplish their noise reductio.

No. Barrel length that factors into velocity is rifled. A muzzle device does not increase velocity no matter how long. Suppressors are basically contained baffles that allow gas to expand in a controlled and confined space.

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Worth it? Depends....

22 cans, yes worth it
    rifle cans, they are still LOUD but not as loud
    pistol cans, they are still loud but not as loud

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I was looking at them and am wondering if I can get a DECENT silencer for 200 dollars.Has anybody bought a 200 dollar silencer and been happy with it ? I heard of a company called REBEL SILENCERS and they want 200 for it,I heard a 22lr silencer at J/P GAME PRESERVE the other day on a s@w AR15 in 22.Dont know if its worth it, didnt seem quiet enough.How about BLACK ACES PRO SERIES silencers.Just debating about getting a silencer.

What's a silencer?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    In before "suppressor" :rockwoot:

It's a matter of how much you need to use one, and how important it is to you to have. The cool factor is undeniable. Just know they are a pain in the ass to clean, much more so than any firearm, because almost every particle which used to be ejected into the air, is now being captured inside your unit and it has to be purposely removed sooner or later (or the unit gets loud and/or becomes difficult to disassemble). So if you run any significant volume through them, you better plan on having an ultrasonic parts-washer and running it a bunch. If you're the kind of person who shoots your guns a long time between cleaning them, you and suppressors will _not_ get along well. It's like owning a cat. They have to have a litter box, it has to be emptied, and they never stop :poop:ing.

Beat me to it!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    They are awesome, but it really depends on where you'll shoot. If you have your own range, or shoot at an outdoor range where you'll be around very few other people (if any), or other people with suppressors, then yes, they are worth it. They increase the fun factor by a LOT. On the other hand, if you're constantly shooting either indoors with other shooters who won't be running suppressors, or outdoors where you'll be with a lot of shooters without suppressors, they aren't as worthwhile, IMO. This is why I haven't picked one up yet. When I go to an event where I'll be shooting with others who have them, I can usually borrow one to run, so I haven't needed one yet... :dunno:

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    I got a 22 Huntertown Arms. Budget friendly, but they are no longer in business. Stainless steel. Baffle design. Really fun to shoot, especially 22 bolt action. You can run cci quiet, and literally see the bullet fly to the target.. the on;y sound you get is the 'plink' as it hits the steel. Hopefully this year I can get out and go for some squirrels.

Top Bottom