single-stack 9mm for small-handed shooter?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Back just before I bought my XDm I did handle the M&P with the smallest back-strap and it didn't feel bad but the XDm was just a tiny bit closer trigger reach and since I didn't have any ancient grudge with SA it was a no brainer! But thanks for the offer Snorko!

Last edited:

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    OP, I went from an XdM 3.8, to XdS, to G26.
    By far the 26 is easiest to shoot and the most comfortable.
    I'm getting a 17 next!:rockwoot:

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    You must have a normal or better length trigger finger then! The double column Glocks are all a little like holding a 2x4 for me...even a 4th gen with smallest back-strap.

To me up until the G43 the best Glock was the G19 4th gen with small strap in place. I love the balance of that one....if the trigger reach was just a bit closer that would be my EDC.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    You must have a normal or better length trigger finger then! The double column Glocks are all a little like holding a 2x4 for me...even a 4th gen with smallest back-strap.

To me up until the G43 the best Glock was the G19 4th gen with small strap in place. I love the balance of that one....if the trigger reach was just a bit closer that would be my EDC.

Sounds like you're a good candidate for the gun I WISH glock would make. A single stack 9mm the size of the G19 but the width of the G43 with 8 or 9 rounds. Slim, good site radius, light weight, almost full size handling. It would just scream IWB instead of pocket gun like the 43.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    Sounds like you're a good candidate for the gun I WISH glock would make. A single stack 9mm the size of the G19 but the width of the G43 with 8 or 9 rounds. Slim, good site radius, light weight, almost full size handling. It would just scream IWB instead of pocket gun like the 43.

Kahr TP/CT 9; 8+1 and since your a old revolver guy, you'll really like the trigger.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    I like the way the Kahrs feel....but I'm not really wanting to go back to the long DA pull (had enough of that with revolvers) and I'm not super stoked on the Moonie connection!

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    While it's out of production you might look for a Smith 3914. I have one and like it a lot.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have a XDm that I shoot alot better with the small grip insert. I also have big hands. Anyway, when I bought my 4" XDs in 9mm, the first thing I did was put the small strap in. I shoot it really good. Here are some measurements for you.

Small strap.

Large strap. (I didn't change the mag extension sleeve. I helps you get an idea of how much bigger the large is.)

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Interesting. I am leaning to the G43 at this point. I will add a Pearce Grip extension for my pinkie (no additional round though as I understand the jury is still out on reliability of G43s beyond 6 round mags).

My SIL has this setup with the extended mags, 600-700 rounds through it without an issue.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    You might want to check ou9r the Bersa BP9CC. It's got a great trigger out of the box and 3 dot combat sites. At less than an inch wide, it's a good option for those with smaller hands.

[video=youtube_share;qaUxbkTW6FQ]http://youtu.be/qaUxbkTW6FQ[/video]

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Even better was the old 3913 single-stack. THAT was a great gun! I much prefer consistent striker-fired pistols compared to DA/SAs though.

You REALLY should search out a S&W 3953. It's everything you like about the 3913 with a consistent, relatively short and light DAO pull, and no need for safeties or decockers. Nice looking, solid, accurate gun. It's always set with the trigger in the half-cock position so the reach is short. I've completely converted over to the Smith DAO guns,.......full size and compacts in all calibers.

Here's the blued 3954 version alongside the 3953,.......

3953 n 3954.jpg

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    As much as I love my XDs, I think the G43 sounds like a better fit for you. Changing the blackstrap on the XDs will change the grip feel, but I doubt it will solve the trigger reach issue for you.

Maybe someone here that owns a G43 would let you shoot it?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    You REALLY should search out a S&W 3953. It's everything you like about the 3913 with a consistent, relatively short and light DAO pull, and no need for safeties or decockers. Nice looking, solid, accurate gun. It's always set with the trigger in the half-cock position so the reach is short. I've completely converted over to the Smith DAO guns,.......full size and compacts in all calibers.

Here's the blued 3954 version alongside the 3953,.......

View attachment 48533
    Why not a CS9 if you can find one.

Top Bottom