• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    The miller is a brutal power generating device. I can only imagine what the sine wave looks like. I would not want to run a good TV off of it but anything of a high load nature heck yes.

I have a Miller Bobcat, I have run every appliance in two different homes for up to 9 days at a time, from wells, water heaters, hvac, refrigerators to home pc's and a few laptops.
    Never had a problem running any of them, have you ever looked at the sine waves from the power plant generators sometimes?
    Its not like hooking up a a/c tv to DC welder generator.. And releasing the vacuum and smoke out of the picture tube.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    How has that worked out for you? Which make/model if I may ask? I plan to go to that set up.
    Absolutely love it, hot water until 1000 gal LP tank runs out. We have a Noritz NRC111-DV from 2009, 199,900 BTU/hr input. It’s what my brother in law wanted to sell me and it’s been great. We have to use more gas but I can’t tell it, the old farmhouse is pretty inefficient to begin with.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a Miller Bobcat, I have run every appliance in two different homes for up to 9 days at a time, from wells, water heaters, hvac, refrigerators to home pc's and a few laptops.
    Never had a problem running any of them, have you ever looked at the sine waves from the power plant generators sometimes?
    Its not like hooking up a a/c tv to DC welder generator.. And releasing the vacuum and smoke out of the picture tube.

Trust that I fully understand my posted info. My initial thoughts was the old Miller my people had. It was brutal at best but it could make steady power. In clearing my mind I realize the newer machines do make cleaner power and some are even inverted.

A laptop powers through a charger which in a way cleans up the signal to the device.
    Home PC's not so much unless you are running them through a battery power pack. Again a basic signal filter.
    The rest of the home appliances as to HVAC/Pump/even some older refrigerators are A-OK here.
    My furnace is very picky to the power source as it has a current sensing flame rod. There is some critical power involved.

And yes I have done my fair share of time in the power plants across the state working on and installing some of the HVAC equipment. Eating lunch with the engineers was an eye opener.

I am to believe if you act quickly and catch the smoke (at least 95% of it) you can put it back and have one more shot at it. Or so I am told...:):

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Absolutely love it, hot water until 1000 gal LP tank runs out. We have a Noritz NRC111-DV from 2009, 199,900 BTU/hr input. It’s what my brother in law wanted to sell me and it’s been great. We have to use more gas but I can’t tell it, the old farmhouse is pretty inefficient to begin with.

:yesway: Thanks!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    This has me looking at one for the house. Need to research proper supply rate. GPM etc.

The reduction in fuel consumption for hot water is significant. What I've found to be the challenge is finding a manufacturer that produces a reliable product and prices are all over the place. As with the .308 AR market, standards aren't really consistent. Hard water reduces life (of course). This is what I'm looking at for the cabin:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-P...PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-306655644-_-303811994-_-N

FYI - It's not sized for four girls taking 30 minute showers.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Trust that I fully understand my posted info. My initial thoughts was the old Miller my people had. It was brutal at best but it could make steady power. In clearing my mind I realize the newer machines do make cleaner power and some are even inverted.

:):

Like an old Miller DC with a Onan in it, and enough exhaust noise and piston slap to wake the dead.
    Once you get above Millers Bobcat, you get much cleaner machines.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The reduction in fuel consumption for hot water is significant. What I've found to be the challenge is finding a manufacturer that produces a reliable product and prices are all over the place. As with the .308 AR market, standards aren't really consistent. Hard water reduces life (of course). This is what I'm looking at for the cabin:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-P...PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-306655644-_-303811994-_-N

FYI - It's not sized for four girls taking 30 minute showers.

4.5 GPM will run a washer and a shower at the same time. Just me and CKW here at the house. The one you listed should be more than enough at 7.0 GPM

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    4.5 GPM will run a washer and a shower at the same time. Just me and CKW here at the house. The one you listed should be more than enough at 7.0 GPM

Make sure to check what the incoming water temperature is, colder water will drastically change the temperature of the hot water depending on size of heater and gpm being used at that time. It can will help to have water saver shower heads and nozzles on other fixtures.
    I installed renni's larger units in my home and farm. One NG and one Propane. I also bought the extra set of drain ball valves to use to flush the heat exchanger once a year or so and they make it easy to.
    Money well spent, I can easily run 4 fixtures and get 120° from each*** endlessly.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You do realize of course that if the grid went down the Water Co. has some seriously huge diesel pumps that pick up the load but not 100%. And the tanks will run dry in a few days on these.

Also to those of you that have NG back up genny's the NG delivery is dependent on the grid as well to a point. The city utility's are not 100% stand by reliable. They just are not.
    True. Although they will be at the top of the list to receive more fuel.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

A laptop powers through a charger which in a way cleans up the signal to the device.
    Home PC's not so much unless you are running them through a battery power pack. Again a basic signal filter.
    The rest of the home appliances as to HVAC/Pump/even some older refrigerators are A-OK here.
    My furnace is very picky to the power source as it has a current sensing flame rod. There is some critical power involved.

And yes I have done my fair share of time in the power plants across the state working on and installing some of the HVAC equipment. Eating lunch with the engineers was an eye opener.

I am to believe if you act quickly and catch the smoke (at least 95% of it) you can put it back and have one more shot at it. Or so I am told...:):
    Never let the smoke out.
    You can not let the smoke out.
    Keeping the smoke in the thing is actually what makes the world go around.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Can you just look at your electric bill and get a general idea?
    only if it gets into more detail than most do. the bill will show you the average over time but not usually the peak at any given time or what caused it. The bill may show I used X per month, or even X per day but it likely won't show if that was in an hour or all day. It won't show that X is for the AC or the oven or the water heater or how often it runs.

+1 for sizing for expected usage. fuel efficiency varies by load and they are usually best between 60-80% at a guess based on my experience with engines. Get too big of a genny and it takes more fuel to make X kwh than a smaller unit running harder... up to a point.

Top Bottom