• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Can a modern TV be run on a portable gen set with a surge protector and be OK, or is there something in the gen power that's harmful?

It depends on the gen set really. I have a Honda and a Generac 2200 watt peak that's inverted. Your tv should be ok on that style of gen. The reason I say should be ok is because nothing is perfect and may fail at any given point.

I also have what most people refer to as a contractors generator 5500 constant 6500 peak. Voltage output can vary from one minute to the next with these. These type sometimes produce spikes that a surge protector may not all ways catch. All keep in mind underpowering can be harmful to some appliances also. It's pretty much meant for running lights, pumps, and power tools. One of my previous bosses sold it to me for a great price so I couldn't pass it up. I've tried running a tv off it and the picture quality was horrible even with surge protector. There would be lines in the picture that changed with the RPM's of the motor. Plugging the tv into one of the Back up UPS packs helped with this issue a lot. If you're going to use that style of generator try to get a hold of a power filter, plug that into the generator then plug any high tech devices into that.

Last edited:

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Were I purchasing a generator, it's primary purpose would be to run the central air conditioning to maintain a constant 63 deg F inside of my domicile from March through October. I don't think a li'l Honda and a 5 gal gas can are going to suffice in July and August.

Maybe I need a windmill and a really, really big battery.

You and my wife.....
    What's up with keeping the house so damn cold???

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    It depends on the gen set really. I have a Honda and a Generac 2200 watt peak that's inverted. Your tv should be ok on that style of gen. The reason I say should be ok is because nothing is perfect and may fail at any given point.

I also have what most people refer to as a contractors generator 5500 constant 6500 peak. Voltage output can vary from one minute to the next with these. These type sometimes produce spikes that a surge protector may not all ways catch. All keep in mind underpowering can be harmful to some appliances also. It's pretty much meant for running lights, pumps, and power tools. One of my previous bosses sold it to me for a great price so I couldn't pass it up. I've tried running a tv off it and the picture quality was horrible even with surge protector. There would be lines in the picture that changed with the RPM's of the motor. Plugging the tv into one of the Back up UPS packs helped with this issue a lot. If you're going to use that style of generator try to get a hold of a power filter, plug that into the generator then plug any high tech devices into that.

Good to know. I think Ill go with a battery inverter set up and use the gen to charge the battery. Thanks!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

This is the dirty sine wave I spoke of. I am no electrical engineer but I have spent some time with more than a few. Sharp cats overall.
    The UPS unit will filter the power. To a point.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Good to know. I think Ill go with a battery inverter set up and use the gen to charge the battery. Thanks!
    That's pretty how I have my office set up. I have 3 deep cycle batteries wired together and a Backup UPS system wired to those. I keep my cable modem, router, office lights, and 24" smart TV pluged into the UPS. If I did need to recharge the batteries, I'd still use one of my smaller generators because they are so much quieter and fuel efficient.

I've been looking at one of these strictly for charging my battery bank I'm wanting to out together.

1200 Watt Portable Generator with Manual Start

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You and my wife.....
    What's up with keeping the house so damn cold???

I am blessed the the spouse is cold nature and likes a nice even 73* to 74* dependent on the outdoor temp/humidity. The down side is she is completely at home in a room that is 78* in the dead of winter. Heating with wood helps this a lot.

And as we have already jacked the thread let me explain something to you polar region A/C dwellers. You are not helping your A/C system live a long and happy life running it that cold. It is a dehumidifier not a refrigeration unit. 70*s is the happy spot. Colder than this is not healthy for the system.

I will take all arguments on this one. 50 years HVAC-R Tech.

And rhino can do the math on this. :cool:

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    I am blessed the the spouse is cold nature and likes a nice even 73* to 74* dependent on the outdoor temp/humidity. The down side is she is completely at home in a room that is 78* in the dead of winter. Heating with wood helps this a lot.

What I don't get is she will turn the temp down, put on her fuzzy pj's, then cover up with a blanket.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's pretty how I have my office set up. I have 3 deep cycle batteries wired together and a Backup UPS system wired to those. I keep my cable modem, router, office lights, and 24" smart TV pluged into the UPS. If I did need to recharge the batteries, I'd still use one of my smaller generators because they are so much quieter and fuel efficient.

I've been looking at one of these strictly for charging my battery bank I'm wanting to out together.

1200 Watt Portable Generator with Manual Start

When we had a full on battery bank reserve power pack for the house it had 8 deep cycle marine rated battery's in it. 2 invertors. They make a 4 battery charger unit that is a smart charger. Had 2 of these in the system. Chargers kept the rack full up on charge. If we put it into play I simply un-plugged the chargers and had 100% ready to back up system.

We had 3 of these over time each one getting better than the last. Friends with remote property talked me out of them. All 3 are still in place and serviceable. Talk about clean power.....:):

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    When we had a full on battery bank reserve power pack for the house it had 8 deep cycle marine rated battery's in it. 2 invertors. They make a 4 battery charger unit that is a smart charger. Had 2 of these in the system. Chargers kept the rack full up on charge. If we put it into play I simply un-plugged the chargers and had 100% ready to back up system.

We had 3 of these over time each one getting better than the last. Friends with remote property talked me out of them. All 3 are still in place and serviceable. Talk about clean power.....:):

That's what I want, a decent size setup with an invertor that can run the refrigerator and deep freeze over night.

I wired the UPS the way I did is so the wife and kids wouldn't have to mess with anything and be "ok" until I got home from work. She doesn't like messing with any of my electronic or electrical stuff as she calls it but is quick to get upset if the internet is out.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    This is the dirty sine wave I spoke of. I am no electrical engineer but I have spent some time with more than a few. Sharp cats overall.
    The UPS unit will filter the power. To a point.

This is the filter I use on my "contractor generator" I use to power my furnace.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ametek-ESP-X...d&qid=1560825183&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

One of my previous employers that closed it's doors was going to toss it out so I talked the Director of Operations into letting me have it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is the filter I use on my "contractor generator" I use to power my furnace.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ametek-ESP-X...d&qid=1560825183&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

One of my previous employers that closed it's doors was going to toss it out so I talked the Director of Operations into letting me have it.

That is interesting. I just replaced the older furnace last fall. Not ran it on the genny yet. The boards in these things are power critical.
    In that we heat mainly with wood and use the furnace blower to distribute the heat I am probably OK.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

And as we have already jacked the thread let me explain something to you polar region A/C dwellers. You are not helping your A/C system live a long and happy life running it that cold. It is a dehumidifier not a refrigeration unit. 70*s is the happy spot. Colder than this is not healthy for the system.

I will take all arguments on this one. 50 years HVAC-R Tech.

And rhino can do the math on this. :cool:

That's why mine uses ammonia for the refrigerant. It's the Beef Keeper 5000R. When it's running on minimum power, I have to keep the oven on at 500F with the door open to keep the house above 55F. My pajamas are down-filled.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My 90+ American standard runs fine on my Champion inverting generator.
    https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/73536i-2000-watt-inverter-generator/

Key here is it is Inverted so the power is clean.

I have been looking at info on our Genny's. 1 is for lighting/pumps etc like has been established up thread. It is a 10HP re-badge Colman. Very sparten. #2 is a cleaner version of #1. Still a 10HP.
    The 12HP has a much cleaner sine wave according to the engineering specs on it. It is a Generac so I would expect that out of it. You get what you invest.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

+1000 for UPSs but watch out on most consumer UPSs nowadays. In the name of efficiency/using less power and cheapness, many are bypassing (or forgoing entirely) the conditioning system to send straight utility power to the attached equipment and only switch to the battery when power is lost. Avoid anything saying green, high efficiency, etc. if you're looking to extend the life of your attached electronics. Learned about that years ago in IL going through a computer power supply almost yearly and hard drives 2-3 years. Dirty power not helped by a 90 year old house that was a museum of all wiring styles since the 20s. still had live post n wire. once we put the computer on a UPS, it just burned that up every 2-3 years but the computers were fine.

Top Bottom