• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I used to be a ref for womens flat track roller derby....

Stop there. There's no way to improve on the post after that.

As an aside, as I sit here in Manhattan, with my regular office being in Hammond, 2 blocks from Cal City, IL...and I frequently go to Chicago, I find this whole discussion slightly amusing. That is to say, everything in life has risk and the one that will happen is tough to predict. Private affair? Live your life.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Solid advice. The neighborhood there is not nice. Obviously inside a private event you shouldn't expect problems. Coming and going you need to be attentive but that should be the case everywhere you go.

I know a lot of folks that live in and around this area. It is not all that bad. What do you define as nice. I frequent the Home Depot there a lot. I mean a lot. I do not live that far away. Never any issues around there beside dealing with the normal idiots in traffic.
    What you get there is a concentration of idiots and miscreants from a broad area. Not just the locals.

Just north of there are a few apt. complexes that are not somewhere I would choose to live.

numbaonecoltsfan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2015
    Mooresville
    I grew up behind the Chichi's. 20 yrs ago it wasn't too bad. We had problems with crime spilling out of the section 8 apts there along 38th. Including having my mom's car stolen out of the driveway and recovered there at the apts. Now though this is not a place I would hang around at night. The poor economy has taken a real toll on this neighborhood. And we all know as poverty goes up so does crime.

It's quite a bit different there than it is in speedway. I would call the worst parts of speedway nicer than the block I grew up in between 46th and 38th and High school and moller.

That being said I work with a lady I grew up with who still lives there and hasn't had any problems beyond having the change stolen out of here car.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It’s not so much the area I based my reply off of, it’s having dealt with the crowd which frequently spills out of Skateland when they close. That area wouldn’t be my first choice when looking for someplace to live but it isn’t horrible. Skateland frequently pulls many of the bad actors into a concentrated area, the idiocy feeds off of more idiocy and tremendously stupid behavior results. The list of runs to the Skateland address doesn’t cover it, the crowd tends to move around to different locations after it closes so the stupidity doesn’t reside with that address alone.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

As an aside, as I sit here in Manhattan, with my regular office being in Hammond, 2 blocks from Cal City, IL...and I frequently go to Chicago, I find this whole discussion slightly amusing. That is to say, everything in life has risk and the one that will happen is tough to predict. Private affair? Live your life.
    But some of us avoid that much excitement when possible. I got turned around in Chicago once and went to far south. I stopped at a gas station for directions and found the clerk inside of a bullet proof cage. I start to ask him a question and he just starts yelling in broken english "go back way you come, go back way you come". I said thanks. Another time we were going through NYC on our way to Boston. Got turned around and ended up in Jamaica Queens... I could only imagine that dinner bells were ringing as my mini van with Indiana plates was coasting through...

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

That sucks, Hough.

I figured a guy with your degrees and licenses would be able to find work in better places than Manhattan and Hammond. Seriously, you should reach out to Indiucky and see if there is any work at all down where he lives.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    But some of us avoid that much excitement when possible. I got turned around in Chicago once and went to far south. I stopped at a gas station for directions and found the clerk inside of a bullet proof cage. I start to ask him a question and he just starts yelling in broken english "go back way you come, go back way you come". I said thanks. Another time we were going through NYC on our way to Boston. Got turned around and ended up in Jamaica Queens... I could only imagine that dinner bells were ringing as my mini van with Indiana plates was coasting through...

I took the subway to Jamaica Queens Saturday from Midtown. A few months ago, I stayed by JFK and took the city bus to the center of Jamaica for a deposition. Look, I understand and everyone has to make these decisions for themselves. All I'm saying is that people live these places and survive. So far, I've been fine in places I've heard people fretting about (not necessarily on INGO). Maybe there's a little more risk....maybe, but its really a shot in the dark.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That sucks, Hough.

I figured a guy with your degrees and licenses would be able to find work in better places than Manhattan and Hammond. Seriously, you should reach out to Indiucky and see if there is any work at all down where he lives.

Fair point, but someone who does what I do has be close to where the fightin' is.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Some people are willing to risk the safety of their children, some are not.

this right here. I'll go places alone I would never go with my kids. When I am responsible for them, I have to take everything into consideration.

I can't comment on the skate place, since I live EAST SIDE and don't go over to the west side.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    this right here. I'll go places alone I would never go with my kids. When I am responsible for them, I have to take everything into consideration.

I can't comment on the skate place, since I live EAST SIDE and don't go over to the west side.

So, B.I.G not Dre?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Avoiding this skating rink because it's a known area for bad people to congregate isn't "not living." Even if it's a private event inside, who will be outside watching the vehicles? Who will be there first to make sure the people arriving are safe? Who will stay after to make sure the people leaving are safe? Why bother to go to a places that's crappy to start? If skating is the activity, other venues were suggested that are more suitable.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We get it, you’re all about that life Bro

1363254479_We-dont-get-to-choose-the-thug-life..jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So, B.I.G not Dre?

I thought that was B.I.G. and Tupac :stickpoke: (though of course, Dre was West Coast as was Tupac, and Dre is still alive, and rich, so there is that)... I always liked west coast stuff myself.

Avoiding this skating rink because it's a known area for bad people to congregate isn't "not living." Even if it's a private event inside, who will be outside watching the vehicles? Who will be there first to make sure the people arriving are safe? Who will stay after to make sure the people leaving are safe? Why bother to go to a places that's crappy to start? If skating is the activity, other venues were suggested that are more suitable.

Agreed, and if you are the one choosing where to have the private event, even more reason to have it somewhere else. If the OP is paying for the venue, choose a better one. If he is not, then ask yourself is this particular event worth going to.

It's one thing if I have to go to work somewhere, or have a real reason I "need" to be somewhere. However, generally attending a skating event is not a good enough reason for me to venture to such places. As others have said, plenty of establishments such as this in better locations with less sketchy "clientele". I'm not one of these folks that never goes to a theater for example or never ventures downtown... but Skateland on the westside... not if I can help it.

Top Bottom