• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I would do a G30 but the 10+1 comes at the cost of a thicker grip to accommodate the double stack mag at that point printing becomes an issue. I'd prefer a single stack with an extremely thin profile and a short barrel. If I cant get the job done with 6+1 then 10+1 wont do me a bit of good...

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Kahr also makes a very compact .45, in PM45 and CM45 flavors. IMO, the Glock 36 and Glock 30 are noticeably bigger guns than the CM45 or XDS (check out this review: Glock 36 vs. Springfield XDs Comparison | HausofGuns.com | Gun and Gear Reviews, Hunting and Outdoor Products, Video). I had a Glock 30 for a while and it was as big as a Glock 23/Glock 19 and heavier. I sold it for a Glock 27 and haven't looked back.

I fall into the group of those that aren't impressed with short barrel .45 ballistics, but I can understand the draw to them. Best of luck.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I'm looking for a small semiautomatic .45 to carry IWB under a light t-shirt this summer. What I'm looking for is the smallest package I can get while still delivering that .45 punch. My two front runners right now are the Para Slim Hawg and the XDS 45. Any other recommendations and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    The 30s is fairly... Well slim. I would have went HK 45c if it weren't for the 30s capacity and size in combo.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    About 25 years ago I bought a little .45acp from a company called Firestorm. Metal pistol, I am pretty sure it was really a Bersa. I think it held 8 in a doublestack. Ambi controls, smaller than an Officers acp. The finish was mil spec parkerized. It ran flawlessly and was amazingly accurate. It was a little on the fat side, so was I. Sorry I let it go.

It looks like they sell it now as the Bersa Thunder Ulta Compact pro.

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've tried a few .45's...but once I shot my Glock 36...it quickly became my EDC! My wife has a Springfield XDm 3.8 in 9mm...great shooter! But for me...the G-36 rocks! It's accurate (as heck)...has had no FTF's...holds 6+1...and is 'slim'...the only flaw I've found is the shooter itself!

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Not easy to find but I love my S&W4513TSW, it is the early model 6+1 no rail but the later 7+1 are close in size. The S&W457 series is close and easier and cheaper to find. Jim.

Robz703

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Greenwood
    I carried a XDM45 compact for a few years. You can switch between a 9 round mag or a 13 round magazine. I'll put my vote on the XDS 45, I ran 300 rounds through the one I have with no problems.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    The slim hawg would be my first choice. But I am a recent convert to the 1911 platform. And I am biased.
    I'd suggest getting one that was made before the recent buy out.
    I have no idea what the new quality controls will be. But I've seldom seen them improve.

The Kahr would get my nod if you're ok with the trigger on the Kahr.

And the Springfield would be my absolute first choice if it weren't so completely unattractive to look at from any angle.
    The aesthetics just make me angry. They fit my hand well. And I shoot them well. I just hate to look at them.

Last edited:

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    I'll add in another XDs vote. Mine has been on my hip for the past two years. The only times I have not had it was when it was in for the recall or I was in a place where I could not carry.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I do like the slim hawg because its a slim and sexy 1911 but they are hard to find and pricy when you do find them. They are also more heavy due to the all metal construction.

Today I stopped at my LGS and compared the XDs45 the Kahr PM45 and the Kahr CW45 and of the 3 I think the Springfield is my top choice

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I do like the slim hawg because its a slim and sexy 1911 but they are hard to find and pricy when you do find them. They are also more heavy due to the all metal construction.

Today I stopped at my LGS and compared the XDs45 the Kahr PM45 and the Kahr CW45 and of the 3 I think the Springfield is my top choice

It would be my top choice between the three. I did not like the fact that the PM45 was throwing brass at my forehead. I gave it 200-300 rounds and it never really got better.

I just put another hundred rounds through my XDs and it just gets better and better.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I know people have already said it but here is an in-depth review of the XDs 9mm. Most of it should apply to the .45 as well.

[video=youtube;xF9aCVDqAv8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF9aCVDqAv8[/video]

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    And on that point what is the difference between the PM45 and the CW45? other than the almost $400 price difference...

The PM is smaller, has polygonal rifling, and the PM series is more "finished" with melted corners and cosmetics. I got it because it was (and may still be?) the smallest 45ACP semi auto. It is kinda pretty and there are absolutely no machining marks on the slide.

That said, had the CW been available when I bought my PM45 I'd have been hard pressed to justify the extra cash. But my PM45 with night sights wasn't anywhere near $900 (msrp) when I bought it...

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    And on that point what is the difference between the PM45 and the CW45? other than the almost $400 price difference...

It was already mentioned, but the CW45 is a larger pistol. Kahr usually runs a value line and a premium line of each size of their pistols. In this case, the P45(prem) and CW45(value) are the larger framed Kahrs; the CM45(value) and PM45(prem) are their smallest .45 frame.

If it were me, I would prefer the lighter, smaller, and cheaper CM45. However, I wouldn't fault anyone for choosing the XDS. They are great pistols.

Here is another great comparison from Handguns Magazine:

45-Subcompact-Shootout.jpg

Top Bottom