• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thebest

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    my boyfriend said i absoluty need protection being that im a 23 year old female and dont know the city 2 well something small for protection purposes only! my price range is up to 180.00 it can be used!

thebest

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    new 2 the city i absoluty need protection something small for protection purposes only! my price range is up to 180.00 it can be used!

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    First off :welcome: to :ingo:.
    Next you will want to read through this thread.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/introductions_and_greetings/3865-forum_rules_forum_tips_-_please_read_before_posting.html

I would also suggest you have a look around in here

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/women_and_firearms/

Will you be using this just for home protection or do you plan on carrying it?
    Do you have a LTCH (License to Carry Handgun)?
    If you plan on carrying do you have a method for carry thought out?
    These and many more questions like them have been discussed within the pages of this forum. There is a wealth of knowledge here so don't be afraid to ask.

Again :welcome: to :ingo:
    :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    :welcome: 2 :ingo:. Blood Eclipse gave you a good start to look through the many threads here. Have you had experience with handguns? Have you had a chance to shoot revolvers and semi automatics and the calibers of each type of weapon?
    There is a wealth of information on this site and a lot of good people to help you out. It's great to have another female in the fold!

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Small may not be your best route ...I have seen buddies of mine who shoot and carry .45's and the like have my littile NAA .22 mag almost jump out of their hands and heard them complain that it hurt their hand after shooting it ..

For a budget of only $180
    look into a High Point .9mm , .40 or .45
    :twocents:

good luck and :welcome:to:ingo:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    If you can save up a little more you could start looking at some Kel-Tec's. I've never shot one, but know a lot of officers who carry them as back up guns and you can get them in a 9mm.

And :welcome: to :ingo:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    :welcome:

Definitely try to shoot before you buy. Just because it's little, doesn't mean it's the best for concealed protection.
    If it hurts to shoot it, you won't practice with it.
    If you won't practice with it, you might not hit what you need to when you need to.
    :twocents:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Your boyfriend is right!

$180 price range? I might think a PA63 in 9x18 Makarov. If you can scrape up an extra $40, then a surplus CZ-82.

Welcome to the forum. Annie and Rachelmarie are probably a couple of good resources on here for you.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I would look for a small frame 38 special, simple to operate under pressure, just point and shoot. A used Charter Arms Undercover should be obtainable for $180 or less.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Annie (all apologies!) is correct! You need to try some things out before you buy.

There are pluses and minuses to all guns, and none are perfect.

Many say revolvers are "simple" to use, and perhaps that is true to a point. They are far from simple to reload during an attack, so you are limited on ammunition capacity. And if you plan on practicing a lot, the smaller J-frame-types tend to really tear up most people hands after a minimal amout of range time. They do offer better reliablity with "contact shots", something I'm sure someone here will be willing to explain in a less graphic way than I would. And revolvers could be refered to as simple with regard to basic operation of the first 5-6 (depending on model) shots, and 99.8% require no maniplulation of safeties, etc., to function.

Autoloading pistols, on the other hand, have their own good and bad points. They often give you a larger ammunition capacity in the same size, or smaller, package than a revolver. However, when we make semi-auto guns smaller, we have to make the operating springs stiffer. This can make manipulation of the slide (top part of the handgun which reciprocates and chambers and ejects the rounds, and will need to be manipulated by the operator for loading, unloading and cleaning.) a struggle for some. But, I have yet to meet anyone who couldn't be instructed to manage it. I think autoloaders are actually easier to manipulate, load, reload and operate once a person spends a little time getting used to them. Many have safeties, de-cocking levers, or other such levers to manipulate, but there are many made which operate (as far as levers and buttons go) the same way as revolvers and are just as safe and reliable.

Autoloaders can be a probelm in the event of a contact shot.

The most important thing is that the gun be sized to your hand properly, and that you find it comfortable enough to shoot AND carry. Those things can only be determined with some hands on time at the range.

Never forget, it's YOUR gun, YOU need to choose it and YOU need to be confident with it! Don't let anyone talk you into something you don't think is right for you, or that you don't understand.

All that being said, $180 is a tight budget, but I'm sure you will be able to find something on the used market to get you started. I would recommend that you go with .380 caliber and larger. I don't recommend .22's, .25's, or .32's for personal defense. And no matter what caliber you end up with, make sure you use the most high-performance ammunition you can find, such as Corbon DPX.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom