• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rlw9337

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Hi,
    I agree with many of the posts above. Try as many types and calibers of firearms before you buy.
    I recently took a young woman from my office to try shooting. I got as many different handguns as I owned or could borrow. I had her try single action revolver, double action revolver, a safe action semi auto pistol and a single action pistol. When we were done I asked her which gun she liked best. She picked the single action pistol. The gun was a 1911 style firearm in 45ACP. This is typically not what a new shooter would pick because it is big, fairly powerful, and recoils pretty hard.
    My uncle was a police officer for years. He is a very experienced shooter and very proficient. He carries a 25 caliber semi auto pistol now that he is retired.
    I also was wondering if you just want home protection or are looking to carry. If you just want home protection you can go to a larger frame handgun or may want to consider a shotgun.
    For home defense you can go with a larger gun. For example you might choose a 4” barrel, six shot, steel framed revolver rather than a 2” barrel, 5 shot, alloy frame revolver. The 4” is more pleasant to shoot than the 2” so you will practice more frequently. The 4” will likely be more accurate when you shoot it. The 4” will generally be more powerful with the same cartridge.
    A good quality shotgun can be found for $200. I think shotguns are a little large for home defense. If you think through how you want to defend your home a shotgun may another alternative.
    Since your budget is small you may want to consider the cost of ammunition as well as the gun. You will need to practice to remain proficient. Some calibers can be purchased reloaded and it saves a lot of money for practice ammunition. For your carry ammunition buy good quality self defense ammo that works in your gun reliably.
    How you are going to carry the gun will also influence you gun decision. Things like: If you are driving can you get to your gun if you need it. If you carry on your person will sweat cause rust. If you carry in your purse will it be accessible i.e. not just in the bottom with all the other junk you carry.
    Good luck.

Top Bottom