Small Pistol Primers in .45acp Experience?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I'm aware of the use of small pistol primers in .45acp for some years now. I've never used them due to my vast supply of cases I've accumulated.

I debated finding some SPP cases when LPPs were harder to find, but ultimately didn't need to. So zero experience.

I just ordered and received some new carry ammo, Federal HST .45acp. Inspecting it, I found it has SPPs.

Are there any issues that have been discovered when using SPPs in .45acp in the years since they started trying it? I really doubt there should be, but it's a variable in carry ammo so I figured I should ask.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I believe the majority consensus here is to only use factory ammo for EDC, but realize it is a personal decision.

I have loaded both sizes of 45 ACP and could not tell the difference when shot.

Right. This is factory-loaded .45acp HST with small pistol primers.

I just have no experience with SPPs in .45acp and was wondering if I should expect anything different.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Right. This is factory-loaded .45acp HST with small pistol primers.

I just have no experience with SPPs in .45acp and was wondering if I should expect anything different.
    Sorry, thought you were referring to reloading with SPP.

SPP .45 seems to be the minority. I’ve been running Hornady critical duty, which are LPP.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Two things. Some 1911's that have been "tuned up" the old way had the slop taken out of the slide hood in a way that sets the barrel off center with the firing pin. If spent regular ammo from the pistol does not center up with the primer, SPP may be a problem.

I had one problem with reloads using Hodgdon clays power with CCI brand SPP in my 1911. Same bullet, same pistol, same powder charge. The LPP primed cases were perfect every time, with CCI, WIN, and Fiocchi primers. The Win and Fiocchi spp worked fine with that clays load, but CCI and Clays had no fires and low pressure fires. It was ONLY when CCI small pistol and Clays were together, anything other combination worked perfectly. Since I had a couple cases of CCI, I just used WW231 in the small primer cases. No problems.

I am sure any SPP ammo you buy is tested enough that everything works together really well

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Actually 45 acp originally started out with a Small Pistol Primer but changed to a Large shortly after.

There is no difference in performance and I noticed Federal ammo with Small Peimers back in 2010. Other than I have several rounds of LPP 45 brass I have to keep separate from new stuff. Seems it doesn’t matter what we thing SPP 45 is staying and a matter of time before most change over.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Hello,

I'm aware of the use of small pistol primers in .45acp for some years now. I've never used them due to my vast supply of cases I've accumulated.

I debated finding some SPP cases when LPPs were harder to find, but ultimately didn't need to. So zero experience.

I just ordered and received some new carry ammo, Federal HST .45acp. Inspecting it, I found it has SPPs.

Are there any issues that have been discovered when using SPPs in .45acp in the years since they started trying it? I really doubt there should be, but it's a variable in carry ammo so I figured I should ask.
    No difference between them. I've used SPP for 10mm and 45acp. Velocity is the same with the same powder load. I don't have many. But with the LPP so hard to find I wouldn't mind getting more once fired brass for both 10mm, and 45acp with SPP.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    As others have stated no diff between the two. I culled and scrapped the smalls or ran them during a match where the range keeps the brass.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    A few years back one of us in my family picked up a few hundred small primed 45acp at the range and dumped it in the fired 45 acp buckets. months later I polished a few thousand cases and unknowing to me just mixed them in with thousands of LPP brass. Talk about a progressive press lock up. What a huge PITA, New rules went into affect. leave brass if SPP brass is found when picking up our 45acp at the range.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    @Leo touched on what I was going to say.

As a general rule you won’t notice a difference but SOME combinations of powder / bullet might leave you with a surprise.

I’ve heard about small primer 6.5 CM having issues with certain ball powders.

I ran into a similar issue last year with a 38 spl load that was orientation sensitive. Data that should have been fine turned out to be not so good. Changed the powder and all was right with the world.

All the same reloading rules apply and I say just make a small batch and test before you really need em.

Personally I kind of like the ability to use either small or large. Here lately large primers have been hard to find. So I separate it and keep it for the right situation.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    @Leo touched on what I was going to say.

As a general rule you won’t notice a difference but SOME combinations of powder / bullet might leave you with a surprise.

I’ve heard about small primer 6.5 CM having issues with certain ball powders.

I ran into a similar issue last year with a 38 spl load that was orientation sensitive. Data that should have been fine turned out to be not so good. Changed the powder and all was right with the world.

All the same reloading rules apply and I say just make a small batch and test before you really need em.

Personally I kind of like the ability to use either small or large. Here lately large primers have been hard to find. So I separate it and keep it for the right situation.
    What powder? 2400?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I was using Titegroup and a hollow base bullet. The powder wouldn’t burn unless the revolver was tilted back first.

Switched to bullseye and the problem went away.
    Thanks, I tried Titegroup a few times over the years and was never happy with my results myself.
    We burn Unique and Bulleye in 90 % of that handgun rounds we load.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Thanks, I tried Titegroup a few times over the years and was never happy with my results myself.
    We burn Unique and Bulleye in 90 % of that handgun rounds we load.
    I have used it in 9mm, 380, 45 since 2011. Works well. That pound lasts forever!

No issues until I tried my hand with light hollow base bullets in 38spl.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Speaking of powders does anyone know of or have seen any Greendot??!

That’s my go to for 38 special I’ve tried some others but just not doing it for me. TYIA

Top Bottom