• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I know there will be differing opinions on this, but as I look at guns to purchase for CC I want info from both sides on this. I am leaning toward a compact 9mm with 10-16 round mags, but the small size and price of cc guns such as an LCP is intriguing. I'm not a big fan of 6+1 capacity though. I guess I'm looking for someone to convince me that a single stack, low cap mag is the way to go. :dunno:

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I have an LCP and a SR9c.
    LCP 6+1 (I only carry this gun to work or when I am dressing up, this is my 100% conceal nobody will no its their gun)

SR9c 10+1 (This is my EDC, it is very concealable but not 100%, it still has a print but you have to really know what you are looking for to know its their.)

I would go with a 10-12 rnd compacity unless you have a regular reason to hide the ish out of your gun.

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    I'm not a fan of pocket carry but wanted a gun that "disappeared" when carried IWB.
    I carry a Kahr PM9, 6+1 capacity. Never really felt the need for more rounds in 1 mag. I'll occasionally carry my spare extended mag with 7 more rounds if going somewhere other than work.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It's your life that will be on the line when/if you actually have to draw that weapon. What weapon will you feel comfortable having in your hand at that moment? For me it is my CZ 75 compact. It's a little heavier than some carry guns but it is the gun I shoot the best. To quote someone much smarter than I: Carry guns should be comforting not comfortable.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    So much of the answer depends on your ability to put rounds where they need to be. The TV and movie shows do a terrible injustice to what really happens when a human is shot. In a majority of cases, they don't drop down on the ground and quit moving the moment they're shot. The objective in the real world is to induce shock as quickly as possible (aka shutting down the Central Nervous System.) If your skills will allow you to hit critical mass areas with 6 rounds, then a 6+1 might well be a viable gun for you.

As for the movies where people shoot at each other and reload 18 times....while it could happen, realistically it's not going to. In civilian shootings over the last 20 years, the most-often number of rounds fired by the shooter is 1 round. If you are into statistics, the statistical probability of you needing more than 7 rounds in a civilan altercation is extremely low.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I have an LCP and a SR9c.
    LCP 6+1 (I only carry this gun to work or when I am dressing up, this is my 100% conceal nobody will no its their gun)

SR9c 10+1 (This is my EDC, it is very concealable but not 100%, it still has a print but you have to really know what you are looking for to know its their.)

I would go with a 10-12 rnd compacity unless you have a regular reason to hide the ish out of your gun.

How do you like the sr9c? Based on research it's my first choice. I'm going shooting next week to figure out for sure which gun I'll be going with.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    You should carry the biggest thing you are comfortable with. The more rounds of the biggest caliber the better. I like the smaller guns because they are much more comfortable to carry. I feel pretty safe with my LCP, my P238, M85, M605 a little more. Just bought a CM9 and am really impressed. I'm looking into some different holsters so I can carry one of my Hi-Powers, which is 13+1. You just have to try some different pistols and see what works for you. I read a lot of threads and did a lot of research before buying the single stack CM9. I must say again, I am very happy with it.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    It's really not that difficult to CC a full size pistol. The right belt and holster work wonders. Yeah, you have to dress around it a little, but you'd be surprised how easy that is to do. I do pocket carry an S&W Bodyguard so I clearly don't believe there is anything wrong with a pocket pistol, but carrying a full size isn't too difficult.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Smaller than a G19 (which is a fine gun), a S&W M&P 9c, 12+1 standard and will accept F/S 17 round magazines for the reload in a real holy s**t situation.

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I like the Sig Sauer P290RS. People gave the P290 some bad reviews because of the light primer strike, but the RS has given me no issues. DAO, no safety, 6 or 8 + 1. Small frame to vanish IWB.
    Probably depends on your personal frame size though.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I occasionally carried a kimber ultra compact 45. I figured that if I thought I might need a gun, I wanted a 45 because 8 rounds of 45 were good enough in WWII, they're good enough for me.

Next, I switched to always carrying an LCP. I figured that the lcp in my pocket every day was better than the 45 in the car.

Now I am pretty much always carrying a 9mm subcompact xd. When I'm not carrying the xd, I'm carrying the lcp. I figure 14 rounds of 9mm is harder to conceal than 7 rounds of 380, but it's so much more gun that it's worth it.

Really, you just need to carry something all the time. Whatever you get, carry it all the time and if you find it unbearable, get something else you will carry all the time. Carry a gun all the time. Carry a gun all the time. Carry a gun all the time. Carry as much gun as you are willing to carry, but do it all the time.

You will be glad you started carrying. Good people should be armed.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    It's your life that will be on the line when/if you actually have to draw that weapon. What weapon will you feel comfortable having in your hand at that moment? For me it is my CZ 75 compact. It's a little heavier than some carry guns but it is the gun I shoot the best. To quote someone much smarter than I: Carry guns should be comforting not comfortable.

I agree this is pretty much what it comes down to. I like the idea of the pocket pistols, but not as a primary carry but that's just me. Just for the simple fact I don't like to shoot them. The trigger bite on the few Ive shot has made it not a lot of fun to shoot at the range. An if its not atleast somewhat fun to shoot Im not gonna shoot it an there by not practicing with it. An I wont carry a pistol that I don't consistently practice with. But one thing about it 6+1 in a pocket carry is probably better than a stick, but on the other hand if you cant hit what your shooting at you may as well have a stick.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I know there will be differing opinions on this, but as I look at guns to purchase for CC I want info from both sides on this. I am leaning toward a compact 9mm with 10-16 round mags, but the small size and price of cc guns such as an LCP is intriguing. I'm not a big fan of 6+1 capacity though. I guess I'm looking for someone to convince me that a single stack, low cap mag is the way to go. :dunno:

If I may, I put together a guide here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._self_defense/273631-carry_gun_selection.html

As far as ammo capacity, this is my take:

How important is round count?

Different people are going to have an acceptable minimum, but based on no specific credible threat and an average exposure to random violence, a typical encounter will have you shooting 3 rounds or less. More rounds is psychological satisfying, as is the availability of a reload. One officer talked about how good it felt to have a fresh magazine to reload with after he put down two armed robbers in a restaurant where he was off duty with his family. Note that the encounter was over. The majority of stories you see are like this. "I only had two rounds left, WHAT IF there had been another one" or WHAT if he hadn't fled or WHAT IF, etc. etc. I have yet to come across someone who was unsuccessful in a self-defense attempt who had emptied their gun. Again, hundreds of people shot, not one had an empty gun. They were either unarmed, disarmed, or never got a chance to unholster.

Based on that, I put the floor at 5 rounds. More is better. Unless you are trying to swim or are on fire, you'll never regret having too much ammo, but round count alone should be of low value in your selection of a handgun for carry.

The following events are actual events and illustrate the typical encounter:

Anecdote #1:
    Victim approached by 3 armed suspects, victim attempts to draw his weapon, victim shot without getting the chance to fire, victim is presumably incapacitated and doesn't return fire, weapon found functional and fully loaded.
    Anecdote #2:
    Victim approached by armed suspect, victim draws weapon and fires one shot, striking suspect in head, kills suspect.
    Anecdote #3:
    Victim approached by armed suspect, victim draws and fires two shots, strikes suspect in abdomen with one, misses second shot, suspect flees. Victim later turns up at local hospital.
    Anecdote #4:
    Victim approached by two suspects, one of which is known to suspect to be a credible threat. Victim displays handgun in an attempt to discourage violence, unknown suspect shoots victim twice and flees. Victim retreats and doesn't return fire.

Dirtdart504

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Bargersville, IN
    With the new generation of IWB holsters, many guns that used to be relegated solely to a police duty belt are now concealable. I regularly cc my P220. Not the biggest, but definitely not the smallest. So, when I read "Size vs. Capacity" I was thinking .45 vs. 9mm. Well, you can see what my choice is.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Most times (at work) I am carrying a Ruger LRC 5 shot revolver. I don't feel under gunned. Outside of work I somtimes carry a 1911. 8 rounds of .45 ACP, I dont feel under gunned.

If you feel you need more ammo than 5-8 rounds then a sub compact 9mm is the best compromise. Glock 26 or similar.

xdmdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    southport
    I prefer the g26. I know it doesn't have the best capacity @ 10 but it gives me a confident grip in the hand and and I can and do have 19 rnd mags at my disposal. It is large enough for a good grip but small enough and comfortable enough that I can carry all day not be uncomfortable. All I need to cover it up is a t-shirt. The best part is its a glock and I know it will go bang when I need it to.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I originally bought an SR9c for EDC. When the time came, I realized I could not carry it comfortably. So I bought a Diamondback DB9. It's in my back pocket in a Talon wallet holster whenever I leave the house. I can't imagine ever needing more than 6+1.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    If I may, I put together a guide here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._self_defense/273631-carry_gun_selection.html

As far as ammo capacity, this is my take:

How important is round count?

Different people are going to have an acceptable minimum, but based on no specific credible threat and an average exposure to random violence, a typical encounter will have you shooting 3 rounds or less. More rounds is psychological satisfying, as is the availability of a reload. One officer talked about how good it felt to have a fresh magazine to reload with after he put down two armed robbers in a restaurant where he was off duty with his family. Note that the encounter was over. The majority of stories you see are like this. "I only had two rounds left, WHAT IF there had been another one" or WHAT if he hadn't fled or WHAT IF, etc. etc. I have yet to come across someone who was unsuccessful in a self-defense attempt who had emptied their gun. Again, hundreds of people shot, not one had an empty gun. They were either unarmed, disarmed, or never got a chance to unholster.

Based on that, I put the floor at 5 rounds. More is better. Unless you are trying to swim or are on fire, you'll never regret having too much ammo, but round count alone should be of low value in your selection of a handgun for carry.

The following events are actual events and illustrate the typical encounter:

Anecdote #1:
    Victim approached by 3 armed suspects, victim attempts to draw his weapon, victim shot without getting the chance to fire, victim is presumably incapacitated and doesn't return fire, weapon found functional and fully loaded.
    Anecdote #2:
    Victim approached by armed suspect, victim draws weapon and fires one shot, striking suspect in head, kills suspect.
    Anecdote #3:
    Victim approached by armed suspect, victim draws and fires two shots, strikes suspect in abdomen with one, misses second shot, suspect flees. Victim later turns up at local hospital.
    Anecdote #4:
    Victim approached by two suspects, one of which is known to suspect to be a credible threat. Victim displays handgun in an attempt to discourage violence, unknown suspect shoots victim twice and flees. Victim retreats and doesn't return fire.
    Excellent read. Good info. Thanks for the post.:yesway:

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    How do you like the sr9c? Based on research it's my first choice. I'm going shooting next week to figure out for sure which gun I'll be going with.

I love my SR9c, it really is one of my fav guns to shoot. I actually bought it for my wife but told her she could have my springfield 1911 if she would let me have the SR9c. (They are really both mine now but this way she doesnt yell at me everytime I take her gun)

I carry it in a Desantis Pro Stealth Holster, it allows me to carry one extra 10 rd magazine and I carry it comfortable.
    Desantis Pro Stealth
    What I have learned over the years is its not the gun you carry that makes it comfortable but the holster and the location you carry it. I am 6' and a little over 200lbs so maybe that helps a little but Im not a gigantic monster and it carries great.

Top Bottom