• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    No, I am not doubting that you normally don't need more than 7 rounds. But if it were ever to happen that you need more and don't have it, that would suck. :twocents:

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I don't know that a large data set has been collected for non-LEO gun fights. If someone does, I'd love to hear about it. Post it up.

Until then, SOP-9, and the interpretation thereof may be the closest thing we have.

See - John Farnam - Enough Ammunition

I like this application, "having enough rounds to get you through the fight without the necessity of a reload bringing about an inconvenient interruption would appear to provide a genuine advantage."

I assume the poster (Nakinate) is non-LEO, as are the majority of members here. So any other data toward that end is irrelevant.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    No, I am not doubting that you normally don't need more than 7 rounds. But if it were ever to happen that you need more and don't have it, that would suck. :twocents:

Sure, but it would suck MORE to not have a gun on your person when/if you ever need one. So if it ever comes down to the choice of carrying something small, vs nothing at all then I'd want the small thing.

I find that I'm so often involved in fire fights going about my every day activities that I carry around an AK in a briefcase. With a few spare 30 rounders just in case I find myself in a really sticky situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foODpbAYEQM

No actually I'm comfortable with a snub nose 5-shot .38spl. But that's just me.

JLL101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    My current philosophy is dress for the occasion as other posters have eluded to. I carry smaller capacity weapons when I feel more secure and a larger capacity weapon when I am less comfortable with my surroundings. I prefer the smaller carries whenever possible for the obvious reasons, comfort and easy concealment. I usually carry the Sig P938 or the Ruger LC9 (6+1 or 7+1 rounds) that weigh around 16oz to 17oz unloaded. (I also sometimes carry my wife's Sig P239.) I carry these weapons when I feel my destination is a low crime area. However, I have occasion to travel to higher crime areas and then I carry my higher capacity carry weapon, a Taurus PT-111 SS that weighs under 19oz unloaded but holds 12+1 rounds. If trouble were to erupt, my goal would not be to get in a shootout but to remove myself from the situation as quickly as possible. I understand that a bad situation can happen anywhere anytime but I am personally willing to play the odds which are low in low crime areas. Also, I will carry 2 weapons on occasion. Being a smaller person with small hands also plays a role in my handgun selections.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Sure, but it would suck MORE to not have a gun on your person when/if you ever need one. So if it ever comes down to the choice of carrying something small, vs nothing at all then I'd want the small thing.

I can get with this thinking. If a gun is so big I'm uncomfortable carrying it all the time then what is the point?

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I have an LCP and a SR9c.
    LCP 6+1 (I only carry this gun to work or when I am dressing up, this is my 100% conceal nobody will no its their gun)

SR9c 10+1 (This is my EDC, it is very concealable but not 100%, it still has a print but you have to really know what you are looking for to know its their.)

I would go with a 10-12 rnd compacity unless you have a regular reason to hide the ish out of your gun.
    This is about my routine as well.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    I have an LCP and a SR9c.
    LCP 6+1 (I only carry this gun to work or when I am dressing up, this is my 100% conceal nobody will no its their gun)

SR9c 10+1 (This is my EDC, it is very concealable but not 100%, it still has a print but you have to really know what you are looking for to know its their.)

I would go with a 10-12 rnd compacity unless you have a regular reason to hide the ish out of your gun.

I have the same two handguns. The Ruger LCP can be concealed no matter what you are wearing, so in the summer it is my CC. HOWEVER, it is NOT a fun gun to shoot. The 380 round coming out of such a small frame is almost painful to shoot, and I find that I avoid practicing with it at the range. It is great for CC, but more of a "rib-sticker" -- effective (at least for me) only at very short range. When I can, I much prefer the Ruger SR9C, which I practice with at the range and enjoy shooting and can hit targets farther away with.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    I have the same two handguns. The Ruger LCP can be concealed no matter what you are wearing, so in the summer it is my CC. HOWEVER, it is NOT a fun gun to shoot. The 380 round coming out of such a small frame is almost painful to shoot, and I find that I avoid practicing with it at the range. It is great for CC, but more of a "rib-sticker" -- effective (at least for me) only at very short range. When I can, I much prefer the Ruger SR9C, which I practice with at the range and enjoy shooting and can hit targets farther away with.

I forgot to mention that, whenever possible, I carry both.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I always conceal simply because I'm not a people person and therefore will go out of my way to avoid even one extra run-in with someone I have no desire to interact with.I've never been made carrying my Kel Tec P11,which is 10+1,in my Pro Carry Deep Comfort from theholsterstore.net.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    i dont carry yet but in my opinion, carry what you can make a hit with, for me its my hi power(after some lessons) i can hit a paper plate at 50 yards with it so i feel comfortable with it. as far as a round count i dont think i ever need more than 6, if i do ive done something very stupid beforehand. :twocents:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I can get with this thinking. If a gun is so big I'm uncomfortable carrying it all the time then what is the point?

Exactly. Also you may find you shoot a lower capacity handgun better, not because its lower capacity but due to the other factors. That's why I said more is better, but simple round count shouldn't be a huge considering factor.

As a personal example, I shoot the Sig P220 much better than the Glock 22. I give up 7 rounds to carry the P220. While I could argue that if I was in a gun fight that took 10-16 rounds, the Glock 22 was the better choice, I'm playing to the odds that 1-3 rounds will fix the problem.

I'd rather have the gun I'm the best with in the majority of situations instead of the gun that I'm best with in a slim minority of situations. My personal criteria for what I carry daily at this point involves a timed 3 round shot into the "A" box from 7 yards. That tells you way more about if its a good carry gun for you than a simple check of how many rounds it has on board.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Don't dismiss full-size pistols for CCing entirely. Barrel length is more the limiting factor than the pistol grip or mag length to effectively conceal it under shirt. I carry an XDM-9 3.8" full-size mag (19 rounds) and don't have any issues CCing it at all. It's when the barrel length starts to exceed 4" that it starts to becomes a problem with poking through one's pants and possibly unseating itself from the an IWB holster. Most IWB holsters I've seen will accommodate any pistol up to 4". A friend of mine just recently bought a full-size M&P-9 for CC and has no problem hiding it, and he has a smaller frame than I (5'8" 150 lbs 30in waist).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For daily carry, I'm comfortable with the size and capacity of a G23. There are 13+1 chances to resolve whatever s**tstorm I find my self in. To me, the whole size/capacity issue is about probability. I figure that the chances of my drawing a weapon on any given day are pretty small. The chances of my having to fire that weapon are even smaller and the chances that I'll need more that 14 rounds is even less than that. But, I still carry a spare mag because if any of those situations come about, that day is the day that the laws of probability try to kick my ass.

TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    I go for small size, small caliber and small capacity. :D That combo actually yields "concealment." if you are in social and work circles that don't cotton to ccw then act accordingly.

I mean one shouldn't let your emergency measures, frustrate or defeat one's quotidien obligations and opportunities.

that said-- better somethign than nothing. I would rather have a naa 22 sa than nada.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    I have tried alot of different guns for edc, and heres my opinion. Carry what you are comfortable carrying. If 6+1 and a spare mag is adequate, carry that. If 15 + 1 and spare mag is adequate carry that! I've gone the small route which is extremely comfortable and concealable, and I've carried full size which is (somewhat) obnoxious and comfortING. I personally dont go for all out deep concealment-no one knows I have a gun-super secret stealth mode...I carry a semi-compact (hk usp compact .40) in a good holster with a good belt, usually with a t shirt and jeans. 98% of people don't know youre carrying, and if I print so be it. Most important thing to remember is to have a gun, and one you can shoot well. period. So my advice, carry different guns for awhile and find out which one you like the best, and offers the best of what you want.

:soapbox:

Top Bottom