Small unit combat is EXACTLY like civilian self defense....right?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So how does that differ from 50/50? ( I am not a math whiz)

Completely different.

A 50-50 event would be something like a coin toss. Before you toss the coin, you have a 50% chance of either heads or tails. After you flip the coin (even if you don't look at it), it's either heads or it's tails and probabilities are essentially meaningless. Either it happened or it did not.

Let's say there is a town with 1000 people. 25 of them get attacked in one month. You can conclude that the probability of a person getting attacked during a one month period is 25/1000 = 2.5%. That only applies to the population, helping to predict what might happen to randomly selected people. However, once you pick an individual, you have changed everything. They are now your entire sample and the probability that applied to the entire population no longer applies.

Let's call that individual Mike. Mike will either be attacked or Mike will not be attacked, so the probability is either 1 (attacked) or 0 (not attacked). Mike can't be 2.5% attacked. What you can say, however, is that Mike is a member of a population which has a probability of 2.5% of being attacked. It may seem like semantics or splitting hairs, but it's a fundamentally different situation when discussing individuals vs. populations.

The medical/health professionals are among the worst at either failing to understand this or purposely choosing to make factually incorrect statements (perhaps for expediency because they believe the nuances will be lost on their audience). For example, let say the mortality rate within 6 month for cancer A is 25% in the population. A patient who is diagnosed with this cancer is already selected from the population. She asks the doctor what her chance of dying within 6 months is. .

The doctor then has some choices. The doctor can be correct and say something like, "I can't predict what will happen to you, but I can say that of everyone who has your condition, 25% of them die within 6 months." Or, the doctor can be either ignorant or lazy and tell the patient they have a 25% chance of dying within six months, which is not a factually correct statement. Clearly patients demand and expect "numbers" sometimes, but it would be better for the doctor to avoid misinterpretation of probabilities and find a way to express the ideas to the patient in a way they can understand, but is not misleading.

I'm not sure that helps. My inability to explain clearly and concisely suggests that my own understanding of the concepts is inadequate! That, of course, begs the question: why the hell did rhino open his big virtual mouth? Answer: he lacks the ability to remain silent.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Let's call that individual Mike. Mike will either be attacked or Mike will not be attacked, so the probability is either 1 (attacked) or 0 (not attacked). Mike can't be 2.5% attacked. What you can say, however, is that Mike is a member of a population which has a probability of 2.5% of being attacked. It may seem like semantics or splitting hairs, but it's a fundamentally different situation when discussing individuals vs. populations.

There's no fundamental difference if Mike is representative of the population. He can't be 2.5% attacked, but that's not what probability measures. If Mike is not representative of the population, say he sells drugs and is more likely, or he never leaves his Mom's basement and is less likely, then the population stats aren't as relevant to him but are unlikely to be either 0 or 1. Zero indicates Mike cannot be attacked, 1 indicates he must be. Perhaps you are confusing historical with predictive? Historically, sure, either he was or he wasn't. That's not true in predicting events. Poker would be a lot less fun it it were. My hand is either a Royal Flush or it's not does not equate to 0 or 1 for if my hand is going to be a Royal Flush.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    This is getting to be a lot like "35% chance of rain".
    Where it really means 35% of the coverage area will get rain. :coffee:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Oh, and I did not want to say anything earlier, but go ahead and Google their "SEAL" and Stolen Valor and see if anything comes up.

I hate the lies of the antis far too much to let that go if even it derails the thread.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Oh, and I did not want to say anything earlier, but go ahead and Google their "SEAL" and Stolen Valor and see if anything comes up.

I hate the lies of the antis far too much to let that go if even it derails the thread.

Now THAT is good. Too bad it won't matter. Truth is like that.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Keep in mind that once an individual is selected, their probability of any event is either zero or one. Empirical and theoretical probabilities apply to populations or at least large samples, not individuals. One may draw inferences based matching characteristics to the population, but a number is always one or zero for any individual after it is selected. Either it happens or it does not.

If there were 1000 ingo members and 100 were attacked, then one could say that the probability of an ingo member being attacked is 10% or 1/10. Once you select Kirk Freeman, his probability of being attacked is either zero or its one.

Unless you subscribe to the 'many worlds' interpretation of QM; in which case it happens somewhere, just not here. :D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Unless you subscribe to the 'many worlds' interpretation of QM; in which case it happens somewhere, just not here. :D

Well, there is that. Which also means that in some variation of our universe, there is a well-mannered rhino who is quiet, hard-working, and never cuts himself accidentally.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Baddest man on the Internet. Universe is pushing it.

You haven't seen that universe, nor that jbombelli! There will be at least one where not only is he the biggest bada** in the universe, but there is also no internet.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You haven't seen that universe, nor that jbombelli! There will be at least one where not only is he the biggest bada** in the universe, but there is also no internet.

Oh snap! You think there is an alternate reality where my wife looks like Lynn Collins?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yup! And there's also one where she looks like Captain Lou Albano!

My Mother In Law kinda looks like that! Luckily my wife took after her father which may not be a good thing either.

Yes, and I recommend you find a way to hide there is she sees what you posted.

If you can figure out a way to get me to Barsoom I'll start packing. (For those of you who understand the reference without google, raise your mugs nerds!)

Top Bottom