aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Or just buy another...

One is none.

So now we have worked in training, the manual safety argument, pizza, and some enabling as well.

Welcome to INGO OP.
    Finally...someone posted the only and obvious answer.

user11230706

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2024
    Northern Indiana
    You already have a safety. It's called your brain. :)

Seriously, not trying to be a smart ass, but training and proper handling procedures are far more reliable than any mechanical safety. And if you ever have to make it go bang in an emergency or under stress, not having a safety to deal with is one less thing to deal with. Nothing against those who prefer a safety, just not my thing.
    I practice safe gun handling and don't want a safety to become complacent. I want a safety because it adds some extra security and doesn't have a downside when this isn't a gun I intend to carry.

Plus, if 1911s can be carried and used with a safety lever, what's the problem with my M&P9 having a safety lever? When did safeties suddenly become a liability?

Last edited:

user11230706

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2024
    Northern Indiana
    Safeties are a mechanical component of the firearm, and should not be relied upon as making the gun safe. The only safe gun is a gun handled safely by the one using it, regardless of how many safeties it has.
    Safeties don't prevent negligence. Also, guns don't accidentally go off, someone has to make them go off.
    So proper training is going to go a lot further for you than adding a safety, and as S&W said voiding the warranty of your current firearm.
    I'm aware that they shouldn't be relied on. I will still practice safe gun handling and won't use a safety to encourage complacency. ARs have safeties because their triggers are always exposed. Many pistols don't have safeties because they are holstered (and a good holster will block the trigger). Since this won't be a carry gun and therefore won't be holstered, I just want a safety for some extra security (not to be the only security).

user11230706

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2024
    Northern Indiana
    I'm of the camp that says train/practice with what you carry. If that's a manual safety, run it and practice drawing, and clicking it off, until it becomes second nature. If no manual safety that's fine as well.
    Exactly, I don't understand why people think someone can't carry a gun with a safety. Like I just said in another comment, people have and do carry 1911s which have safeties. It's just a matter of training. Plus, I don't plan on carrying this gun, so the safety isn't a liability.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I practice safe fun handling and don't want a safety to become complacent. I want a safety because it adds some extra security and doesn't have a downside when this isn't a gun I intend to carry.

Plus, if 1911s can be carried and used with a safety lever, what's the problem with my M&P9 having a safety lever? When did safeties suddenly become a liability?
    There is no extra security from having a manual safety on your pistol. Security is completely and absolutely a mindset.

user11230706

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2024
    Northern Indiana
    S&W will not refuse to service the gun unless the safety is installed Ina completely incompetent manner, and at worst remove it again before sending it in.

Some gun companies don't even offer a "warranty" and yet have great customer service and handle issues with guns.
    Right, that's what I was thinking. I could remove it if it's an issue. But I don't think they'd actually care. Plus, I believe S&W will send replacement springs/parts without sending the gun in, so they wouldn't know I added a safety.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    My wife carries a S&W Sheild with a safety. She is good at taking the safety off.
    She also carries a G45 without a safety.

My M&P was a thumb safety I took all that stuff off if I find it I will send it to you.

It is none of my business!
    So don't take offense why aren't you carrying and what about pineapple on your pizza?

user11230706

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2024
    Northern Indiana
    My wife carries a S&W Sheild with a safety. She is good at taking the safety off.
    She also carries a G45 without a safety.

My M&P was a thumb safety I took all that stuff off if I find it I will send it to you.

It is none of my business!
    So don't take offense why aren't you carrying and what about pineapple on your pizza?
    I asked my LGS if they have any parts and they said they'd get back to me. If you find the parts and are willing to send them that would be awesome.

As for why I don't carry: (1) I cannot carry at work, and I'm usually either at work or home. (2) This is my first gun and I want to make sure I am comfortable and competent enough before I consider carrying during the times when I am not at work or home.

user11230706

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2024
    Northern Indiana
    If he thinks that he can't keep from shooting himself in the ding-dong without a safety switch, then I fully support him.
    I believe he (Massad Ayoob) is simply saying that safeties add an extra layer of protection. So, even if your clothing does get caught in the trigger guard while holstering, the safety would prevent the trigger from being pulled (but I think it's obvious that people should never rely on a safety--people should avoid things getting caught inside the trigger guard at all times).

I don't think anyone would ever encourage being lax in trigger discipline just because their firearm has a safety--a mechanical safety should only be an accompaniment to the normal precautions that should be taken when handling a firearm.

If you don't believe it's a mindset, ask Tex Grebner about how well safety switches work.
    I'm not sure if you're saying Tex Grebner thinks safeties are worthless or not (and I'm not sure what your opinion is either). In Tex Grebner's case, the safety didn't prevent him from shooting himself (and if he didn't have a safety he certainly still would have shot himself). So, when he had his negligent discharge, the safety had a net 0 safety impact. But that obviously doesn't mean safeties are worthless/useless.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I believe he (Massad Ayoob) is simply saying that safeties add an extra layer of protection. So, even if your clothing does get caught in the trigger guard while holstering, the safety would prevent the trigger from being pulled (but I think it's obvious that people should never rely on a safety--people should avoid things getting caught inside the trigger guard at all times).

I don't think anyone would ever encourage being lax in trigger discipline just because their firearm has a safety--a mechanical safety should only be an accompaniment to the normal precautions that should be taken when handling a firearm.
    I simply disagree with him. A manual safety gives a false sense of security, which leads to complacency. Striker fired guns with trigger safeties and interal drop safeties are quite sufficient for safe carry/duty use. If you are holstering and get something snagged in the trigger guard, you weren't paying attention. It's your fault. That's complacency.

I only carry and use striker fired pistols without manual safety switches, with my EDC being either an M&P Shield Plus or Hellcat/Hellcat Pro 95% of the time. Used to carry Glocks on duty for many years, never an issue with any of them going bang when I didn't want them to. In fact, my greatest fear is not that one will accidentally go off during handling. My greatest fear is that I would forget to hit a safety lever in the extreme stress of a sudden lethal force encounter and pull the trigger to the sound of nothing. That's why I insist that any pistol that I use for a serious role does not have a manual safety switch.

YMMV. At any rate, the M&P 2.0 is an excellent platform.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    In certain situations a manual safety is a must. I know in the Army some personnel in the support branch’s are not weapons people.
    They often “piggyback“ on other combat units and combat service units because they can’t really run a range. So for them it works.
    In this strange civilian world it probably be a hinderance BBI used to show a video of an off duty copper. He was in a bank that was being robbed his off duty was a 1911 it took him a few tries to get to go bang.

To the OP get a basic pistol course then you can attend the Revere Riders Into to defensive pistol. It’s taught by @obijohn and myself as the assistant and demo guy. We can teach you basic defensive stuff in a low pressure environment.

user11230706

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2024
    Northern Indiana
    To the OP get a basic pistol course then you can attend the Revere Riders Into to defensive pistol. It’s taught by @obijohn and myself as the assistant and demo guy. We can teach you basic defensive stuff in a low pressure environment.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

In the future I will consider getting an M&P compact or shield plus to carry. Once I get a carry pistol then I'll take some courses specifically focused on carrying before I actually start carrying.

But until then, I want to train with my full sized, which I'd like to have a manual safety on (once I get the parts and install them).

And what's the harm with training with a safety? If I pick up a gun with a safety then I'll have the muscle memory to manipulate it and if I pick up a gun without one then I'll still be able to shoot it. It's strange that so many people are saying I shouldn't put a safety on my gun. If it's not a gun that I will be carrying then it won't hinder my ability. And if I decide to carry it in the future, then I can take the safety off and put it in a quality holster.

Last edited:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    MGW has the lever, spring & detent in stock:

To the best of my searching I think those are correct.
    Yep, that info was discussed up further in the thread. Cheaper shipped than the EBAY guy that was referenced.

triggerhammer

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2023
    Michigan City
    I'm a bit confused about how we went from me wanting a safety for my gun to people suggesting carry classes. Right now I'm just looking to add a safety because this won't be a carry gun (and if I do decide to carry it in the future then I will remove the safety). Though I will look into classes once I decide I want to start carrying.
    Nothing necessarily wrong with wanting an external/thumb safety on your handgun, especially at this juncture. I recommend ignoring the naysayers. Regardless, professional instruction would be a wise decision.

user11230706

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2024
    Northern Indiana
    Nothing necessarily wrong with wanting an external/thumb safety on your handgun, especially at this juncture. I recommend ignoring the naysayers. Regardless, professional instruction would be a wise decision.
    Thanks. I have taken classes, but nothing focused on defensive shooting/concealed carrying, though I plan to in the future.

Top Bottom