• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    I have just competed in my first IDPA match. Well needless to say im hooked. Now what gun do I want??

Its gonna be a smith and wesson m&p 9. Now is where it gets complicated. Options are 5" barrel, 4.25" barrel, or 5" pro series which comes with a little better trigger.

Looking for someone with some experience in this area. I am also not against putting an apex trigger in gun. Alot of guys were running this setup.

Also what is the choice of sights on these guns? Fiber optic, night sites, what do those of you with experience run and why.

Thanks for your input INGO

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    First, congratulations on stepping out and trying IDPA! I love that sport and I only regret not doing it sooner!

I shoot my M&P9 Pro 4.25" with night sites in IDPA and have had some great success with it. I know the fiber optic sites are probably preferred but I wanted my IDPA 9mm to also be my HD gun. I recently shot a 2-day course with my 4.25" Pro and it went 1100 rounds with a cleaning and without a hiccup; and it wasn't an easy 1100 rounds either. Fast shooting, gun so hot it burned your leg when you holstered it type of hot!

The Pro Series will have a bit better trigger but don't put too much emphasis on that; buy the one that you like better and will spend time learning and you'll be light years ahead of everyone else.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I would get the 9Pro or 9L (for the longer sight radius) whichever is cheaper. It really doesn't matter which one if you are going to upgrade the trigger and sights. That said, if you are happy with the stock 9Pro set up, it is a no brainer as the cost difference is minimal vs. the 9L.

Disclaimer: I'm in the same boat as you and just picked up a 9Pro off the forum.

:cheers:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have just competed in my first IDPA match. Well needless to say im hooked. Now what gun do I want??

Its gonna be a smith and wesson m&p 9. Now is where it gets complicated. Options are 5" barrel, 4.25" barrel, or 5" pro series which comes with a little better trigger.

Looking for someone with some experience in this area. I am also not against putting an apex trigger in gun. Alot of guys were running this setup.

Also what is the choice of sights on these guns? Fiber optic, night sites, what do those of you with experience run and why.

Thanks for your input INGO

I have the MP 9mm Pro 5". I ended up switching out the fiber Optic green for the red......I just seem to pick the red up better. Other than that...the gun just plain ROCKS. I am a lefty, and it was shooting a tad right for me. The factory rear sight setup was "slightly" to the right of center. I moved it over to being slightly LEFT of center...and now it seems to be dead on for me at 10 and 15 yards. As for the trigger, i shot both a Pro and a standard...there was no comparison. I chose Pro.

And the fiber optics sights are VERY easy to replace the fiber in. Can do it in about 2 minutes...first try.

The ONLY downside to the 5" was finding holsters......seems most are designed for the 4.25" barrel.....so I ended up special ordering mine...and it just plain fits like a glove now.

Last edited:

Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    Do those of you with experience with both the 4.25 and 5 inch barrels feel that there is a definite advantage to the 5" in IDPA? Or more of a personal preference kinda thing?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    There is a bit of a performance boots from the extra length in terms of velocity, maybe picking up an extra 100fps or so and the slightly longer site radius can help but I don't personally feel under gunned when shooting the 4.25" I feel that it is a personal preference thing and there is something to be said about shooting what you prefer since you are more than likely to spend more time and more effort in learning as much as you can with the gun you prefer over one you feel will just give you better performance.

For the record my primary IDPA gun is my Glock 21 for CDP and my M&P9 Pro for SSP.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Go for the M&P9 Pro Series.

I have the 5" M&P9 Pro with the fiber optic sight, and the 4.25" M&P40 Pro Series with night sights. I can tell you first hand that the front fiber optic sight makes quick target acquisition and target transition far easier for competitions. The shorter M&P40 Pro makes the perfect carry sidearm.

When in doubt... Choose both! :D

pro9hst.jpg

mp40proseries.jpg

darthfader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    NWI
    ive got the 9pro 4.25 havent cleaned it since i got it and it hasnt failed yet. ive got about 4000 rnds thru it. waiting for a failure before it gets cleaned. looks like i may be waiting a long time...

Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    Where do you get a 4.25 " pro at I don't see them on the s&w website and actually spoke with a fellow there yesterday. He said if its not on the website they don't make it. Now I've seen pictures I know that theymade it at one point. Also does the 4.25" pro have the better trigger?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I picked my M&P9 Pro 4.25" at Bud's Gun Shop about 6 months ago. It's hard as hell to find the 9 Pro Series pistols in stock; it's like trying to find the Glock 34...as soon as they hit the shelves they are flying right back off of them.

The Pro Series of M&P, whether the 5" barrel or 4.25" will have the better trigger/internals the only difference is in barrel length/sight combo. The 5" carries the fiber optic and the 4.25" carries the night sites and they were both available for the same price. Mine was $564 from Bud's if that helps.

It may be worth a shot to contact a place like Whittaker's Guns in Owensboro Kentucky or Able Ammo or Ed's or Bradis to see if they can help locate either of those 2 models.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My GF has the standard length model, great shooting gun! The fiber optic front sight isn't worth a crap if the sun's not out, if it's light outside it's fine though.

I disagree. I shoot at an indoor range and even without the lane lights on, mine works great. I did read that they need to be replaced regularly, to keep maximum lighting ability. And cleaning materials can mess up their ability to gather the light.

Also, not all fiber optics rods are equal. I ordered mine from Dawson Precision.

I have both red and green, and I personally prefer the red, even though folks say it isn't as visible....I pick up the target more quickly with it.

Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    Dusty Dawg if you happen to have the s&w sku# on the 4.25" pro that would help me out a bunch. That is the easiest way to find the exact gun through different vendors. It is probably located on the box it came in if you still have it? Ps I repped us for being so helpful. Thanks

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Dusty Dawg if you happen to have the s&w sku# on the 4.25" pro that would help me out a bunch. That is the easiest way to find the exact gun through different vendors. It is probably located on the box it came in if you still have it? Ps I repped us for being so helpful. Thanks

Looks like it's 178035 :cheers:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    All of the three you mentioned are hard to find right now. I ended up going used.

You might give this guy a call:
    ARMSLIST - For Sale/Trade: S&W M&P Pro 9L

Or just get a regular 9 full size and upgrade the sights and sear.

I don't believe they make a Pro 9L. That one looks like a regular 9L to me...which has the 5" barrel.

But I agree...I would watch Armslist...I see them there once in a while.

I believe S&W is trying to fulfill some LARGE LEO orders...

Edit: I just checked Davidson's...only thing in stock in 9mm is the compact...with thumb safety.

Top Bottom