• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    OK you guys about got me talked into one. Thanks for all the replies. Anyone near Fort Wayne - New Haven area willing to let me try their rifle. I would supply my own ammo and be willing to let you try any of my guns you wish.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The 15-22 is my favorite .22 rifle. Has the controls of the AR, but is cheap to shoot all day. Mine has digested all the ammo I have fed it. I have bought and sold other rifles, but this one is a keeper!

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    I have the "Colt" version. Likes the hotter .22LR rounds, Blazers cause misfires, misfeeds, etc. Can't shoot the cheap .22LR rounds without issues about every three shots. Can go 100 rounds with the hotter stuff and not have any issues. But that is my weapon and your results could vary.

Other than that, accurate (though not the most accurate), and fun to shoot. 30 round mags seem to go dry WAAAAAAAYYYYYY too fast! ;-)

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    I'm very interested in the S&W M&P15-22. I'm new to guns, and doing a lot of research.

Other than than the "two tone paint" and different butt stock... what's the advantage of the MOE over the "standard" version?

Is the MOE butt stock really better than the standard version? Why?

toddcraft33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Camby
    You can get the MOE in black also. The stock has a sling mount in the front, and the MBUS sights are worth the extra cost just by themselves.

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    The S&W website is VERY bad about listing all of the various differences and weapons. Even when you "compare" them, on the website.

I've visited three local gun shops, and the guys behind the counters weren't very convincing - they don't know all of the details about what is different between a standard, an A1, and the MOE version of the weapon.

Very frustrating for the guy (me) who is trying to learn about all of the details and differences between them....

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    What's the advantage of the magpul stock and grip verses the standard grip?:dunno:

Likewise, magpul sights over the standard sights (other than they flip up and down for stowage and when needed)?:dunno:

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I think standard has no flash hider, A1 has it and the threaded barrel which makes it easy to add a suppresor, MOE has the MOE sights, stock and grip, and a QD mount at the back of the receiver.

BTW mine just came back from S&W and now has the blue recoil spring. It eats Winchester and Federal bulk hollow points from Walmart with no problems now. So if you buy one make sure it has the blue spring or be prepared to send it back to S&W. They cover the shipping cost both ways, but it is a little bit of a pain to deal with it.

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Thanks for the info (and PM's) guys. I can't respond to PM's yet... not enough posts. I'm learning a lot.

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    M&P15-22 standard is just fine. You can always get an RSA and stock has a sling attachment. Slowly upgrade the rifle the way you want it on your own time instead of factory cookie cutter. I dont like the MOE stock, I prefer CTR.

Mine is standard, but im adding stuff as I get it, no rush.

15-22_mag.jpg

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    What is the accuracy potential of the M&P15-22?

I'm not talking about an offhand mag dump...if you are shooting it off a quality rest with ammo it likes, are 1" @ 50yd groups obtainable?

I'm torn between a dedicated 22LR upper like a Nordic or TacSol, but the 15-22 is same price or cheaper than either of those options. Been looking at the A1 for threaded muzzle, but the MOE has caught my eye.

DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    has anyone changed the trigger on one of these guns? looking at possibly buying one to put a slidefire one and will need to change the trigger to something with about 3lb pull. Any suggestions?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    they are a extreamly fun rifle. ive had one for 6ish months and have about 4000 rounds threw it. im actually getting rid of it because its to much fun and i end up shooting faster than i want to. a 25 rd mag doesn't last long at all. to me if the fun overrides my brain the training purpose is gone.

but i can take 4 shots and put them on steel @ 300 yards before the first one hits. thats a blast. i had a 1-4 vortex pst on it with a kill light 250, a bipod, ergo grip, huntertown arms suppressor

I haven't done the 300 yd thing and I put a burris xtr red dot on mine but the rest of it is a thumbs up

Of mine and others it's worth having

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Bought mine about two weeks ago. Got the most basic version, added a bipod and forward grip, borrowed a 3-9x40 scope from my buddy.

Went to Atterbury this weekend with my son, Put 550 rounds of Federal thru it. Not one problem.

I'm a total noob to guns, but my son and I had a blast. We were able to sight in the scope to within an inch or so. Didn't have a spotting scope, so we would fire 25 rounds at each of four targets, then during the cease fire, walk down an see our "patterns", then make an adjustment, and try again. Had the scope dialed in "pretty close" within three attempts.

We were shooting 50 yards, with a bipod, and by the end of the day, my son and I were shooting 1.5 inch patterns, five rounds. Was really working on trigger squeeze, and holding my breath, etc. I know the gun can do it... but my skills need a lot of improvement.

Anyway, even with the cold and wind (with hand warmers tucked into some thin gloves), we had a good time with the rifle.

I'm looking forward to sighting in the iron sights at 25 yards - but will wait for a warmer spring day. Unfortunatly, Atterbury doesn't have a sit down 'bench' setup for 25 yards. That would make it a little easier, for sure.

I wish I lived "out in the country" instead of a suburban neighborhood here in Greenwood... I'd love to shoot this thing out in my back yard.

Top Bottom