• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    They have been threatening to ban sales of tobacco from military installations since before I retired from the USMC. This is nothing new. It has not happened because there are some common sense people in control (up to this point) that realize combat is a little more than "a bit" stressful. So banning smoking altogether meets some fierce opposition. Will it eventually happen? I don't know but I do know they (the political arm, not active duty military) have been pushing this for years.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What is the government going to do when they finally do ban smoking, and lose the tax base put on smokes?

Tax you in other ways under the guise of some other reason....Cap & Trade sound familiar :xmad:

It's kind of like the SCHIP deal. They know the tax base supporting that program (smokers) is shrinking year-by-year and that the program will be insolvent quickly. However, it doesn't matter to them as they will tax you in other ways to pay for that program. The sin tax is just an excuse to exert more control and to reward constituencies with the money collected.

If no one smoked they would just find another targeted group to **** on in order to pass that bill, but since they found a targeted group to hit up, they got away with it and in the end it's NOT the smokers who will end up with the bill - IT'S YOU AND ME since the funding will eventually run dry as less people smoke.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I agree with the new proposed law, whole-heartedly. In fact I believe that COFFEE should be taken away from our soldiers too.....Wait for it, wait for it......... You see this way we **** off enough of our highly trained and now highly motivated marksmen and maybe some real action and buget cutting can get done in D.C. :D

Messed with his Ciggs.... :ar15:
    Messed with his Coffee.... :biggun:

:patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

(IF YOU HAVEN'T FIGURED IT OUT BY NOW, THAT ALL WAS SATIRE)​

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I've been in 13 years now and i would say the soldiers using some kind of tobacco product is more like 70%, maybe more. Now do they want to **** off 70% of the military?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Please do not say smoking is a right. smoking should be banned in all public areas where there are other people.

That's kinda funny. I work in the Casting plant in Kokomo. Due to a relatively new law, we are not allowed to smoke tobacco in a plant that is filled with smoke. Do me a favor and make sense of that.

Winchest55

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    ANDERSON
    That is funny and an easy one to answer. I know jobs are tough to come by and everyone needs to work, but you had the choice to go there and work. If me and my family go into a restaurant where there is no smoke and someone comes in and sits next to us and blows smoke in our face that is completely different than what you are saying. If someone wants to smoke thats fine but there has to be limits.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It is rather funny. A month or so after the smoking ban went in effect, one of the panborn units caught fire. These units are full of aluminum dust which is very flammable. Needless to say, smoke was so thick that you couldn't see 5 feet in front of you. They got the fire put out and all the big shots were standing around (which is the only thing they are good at) and I proceeded to fire one up. The assistant plant manager comes over to tell me that I'm not allowed to smoke in the plant. I replied, "explain that to the pangborn." He laughed, said, "Good point" and walked away.

As for restaurants. I have never smoked in a restaurant. I agree that others should be able to enjoy their meal, so that part of the law doesn't bother me.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    If they ban tobacco sales, the BX will no longer have a retiree customer base. When their retirement checks gets deposited, the retirees come in by the busload to purchase cartons of cigs and booze by the gallon.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    This has been talked about in the USAF for quite some time. Higher ups wanted to go with a "smoke free Air Force" but that didn't happen lol. We did however, have those cool electro static filters which eliminated the smoke in the clubs! That was snazzy!

bcleven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Whiteland
    It's not all about you... I really didn't intend to turn this into a smoking ban controversy that encompasses civilians. It really has little to do with those of us not in the military. I'm really thinking about those guys that are ducking down behind a dirt wall in Afghanistan that could really use a smoke while they are watching a bunch of towels stroll across the sand toward them or those guys cruising down the road in Iraq at 70 mph hoping they don't run across and IED in their inadequately armored Hummer. Joe the Jacka$$ that fires on up while your sitting beside him at an outside concert is just a rude and inconsiderate. You can't ban rudeness and there is no doubt they will find another way to pi$$ you off.

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    Too many die from 2nd hand smoke which is crazy but i've seen it happen..

And people in the military die from bullets and bombs. I'm so sick of clueless fools like you making dumbass arguments like this. We are not talking about you or your family sitting in a restaurant here.

Strap on some boots, pick up a rifle and put your life on the line. If you don't turn and run like a freaking coward the first time you're fired on, I'll bet then you might understand why someone would need a smoke after that happens.

Yes, I was a Marine and I smoked when I served, and I quit and don't care for it now at all. But you are missing the point and you need to get a clue.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis

Now I'm not a smoker, but I will tell you in my military experience that 2nd hand smoke wasn't in the top 1000 of my worries as a soldier.

Think of it like this, Gun Control is less about GUNS and more about CONTROL. To me, this is just another control and we sure as hell don't need any more politicians / officers exerting controls over personal choices.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've been in 13 years now and i would say the soldiers using some kind of tobacco product is more like 70%, maybe more. Now do they want to **** off 70% of the military?

My 35% number was based on smoking alone - that was probably a low number. I could easily see another 25-35% using chewing tobacco.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana

So tell us about your knowledge of this. I have yet to see an example of someone doing it. I and my siblings grew up in a heavy smoke laden household. My cousins did as well. While my parents and my grandfather died of smoking related illnesses, me or my siblings or my cousins have any kind of affects from people smoking around us most of our lives.

I have yet seen any proof of anyone dieing from second hand smoke. Hear claims, but yet to see any proof.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    My 35% number was based on smoking alone - that was probably a low number. I could easily see another 25-35% using chewing tobacco.

Oh yeah, nearly everyone who didn't smoke used dip. Heck a pinch before I had to go in for my QC evaluation helped out a lot :)

Top Bottom