Smoothest DA trigger in an available handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Langdon's 92 Elite LTT with trigger job from EL himself... amazing DA pull and SA break. The PX4 carry series they do have a very nice trigger also.

I was also going to say "try a Beretta". My old Italian made 1984 vintage 92F has the best action and trigger of any gun I have handled to date. I worked at a big box gun counter for a year and handled many guns, and that old Beretta is still the best production trigger to me. But I still have a lot of high end guns to coon finger in my life....so....that could change.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The smoothest I have is a BossHoss worked 581. I have a couple of CZs that have been Cajunized that come close, but that 581 seems to have the best overall feel to me.
    9bb2f8f8b97f0a0a86070bdb229327f7.jpg

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2010
    AVON
    My favorite might not be the lightest trigger, but the smoothest is my S&W 66. I'll probably put the colt snake guns guys in a head spin but I still like it.
    S&W 66.jpg

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Smoothest double action out of the box suprized me, it was a Taurus model 85 stainless and I found it to be perfect in every way.
    The only other gun I have that compares is a custom S&W model 66-1.

I have one of those older stainless Taurus 85's from 1990...and it has a very smooth DA trigger right out of the box...Wolff Springs provides for additional improvement.

The other DA trigger pull that has an absolutely smooth DA pull is a S&W J-frame from their Performance Shop...for a right outta-the-box revolver, ya can't hardly beat it!

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Everyone has a different feel for what they like and what feels good to them.
    Some confuse smooth with trigger pull weight and the two are very separate. A truly smooth trigger will feel lighter than it shows on a gauge.
    Changing springs does nothing to smooth out a revolver it just make the pull lighter and in fact lots of times that makes them less smooth because the heaver springs tend to mask the imperfections in the working surfaces.

IMO a tuned S&W revolver is hands down the champ. (yeah I might be a little prejudiced)
    Stock S&W revolvers varies quite a bit but they are usually decent. The older guns are not any smoother than a newer gun and both vary from gun to gun. Some of the older guns feel smooth because they have been dryfired thousands of times and live fired more than some of the newer guns.

In no particular order.

Ruger revolvers can be smoothed out decently but they have a longer pull than a S&W.
    A little useless S&W trigger info is a K, L, N, X frame all have the same trigger pull length. The number of shots whether 5,6,7,8,10 does not affect the length or weight of the trigger pull.

Python triggers are usually pretty smooth from the factory but they have a stacking towards the rear of the pull. They also have a longer pull than a S&W. I have a python that was tuned by IMO the best Python Smith(RIP) in the country and he did get rid of a lot of the stacking and while it is a fantastic trigger it still doesn't come close to one of my Smiths that has been worked over properly.

Taurus revolvers can actually be made pretty smooth and are OK out of the box. While most don't shoot them enough to worry about it the quality of their heat treating is spotty. The parts don't last as long but you have to shoot them a lot before it becomes a problem.
    I still consider them a great value for what they cost.

Dan Wesson revolvers to be honest I have had several over the years but it has been to long to remember enough to comment other than nothing ever stood out on them as far as the triggers were concerned even after I did trigger jobs on a couple of them.

As for Autoloaders while I have shot lots of DA/SA guns I can't recall anything outstanding.
    I have shot a couple of Kahr's that I like the trigger as it feels like a revolver for every shot. I don't remember them standing out as being really smooth but it has been a while.

CZ/Tanfo's I have shot several of these and all have been highly tuned competition guns. I haven't measured it but the trigger pull length feels shorter than a S&W revolver. They tend to stack starting about halfway back and this varies on how much you can feel the stacking by weight of the springs. They tend to have a soft trigger return but it only has to return to the reset point and not all the way like a revolver so it isn't as noticeable.
    I have felt some great CZ/Tanfo's triggers I haven't felt one that is as smooth as tuned S&W from start to finish of the trigger pull. This is comparing highly tuned Revolvers and CZ's. Haven't handled a stock CZ for a few years so I can't say how they compare to a stock revolver.

Just my thoughts as a DA trigger snob.

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    My Sig P220 DAK is unbelievably smooth. I've had it for a lot of years and don't even remember what I paid for it. One thing for sure, it wasn't the $1400 that they are asking for them now.

arctic427

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Indy
    I have a clue of Smith's that were worked over by Eric Woods (rip) that are dow. Right scary there like greased glass and for an auto loader H&K P7 out of the box one of the best I ever shot.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I have a clue of Smith's that were worked over by Eric Woods (rip) that are dow. Right scary there like greased glass and for an auto loader H&K P7 out of the box one of the best I ever shot.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The P7 is indeed good but the OP said DA. The P7 trigger is SA. (have one and also love it)

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    By far, my 8 3/8" 29-2. Trigger is smooth as silk but a bit too light also.
    I picked it up used from a silhouette shooter in Germany. He said "the trigger is stock but polished."

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    By far, my 8 3/8" 29-2. Trigger is smooth as silk but a bit too light also.
    I picked it up used from a silhouette shooter in Germany. He said "the trigger is stock but polished."
    I've experienced similar on a polished nickel 529. DA was super smooth, SA was benchrest-light.

dshaf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Para-Ordinance LDA was the lightest I have ever seen. I dont think they make them anymore. The Kahr K series are great

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Para-Ordinance LDA was the lightest I have ever seen. I dont think they make them anymore. The Kahr K series are great

They do not, Para was bought be Remington several years ago. Also, the LDA isn't a double action, it's closer to HK's LEMS that uses a pre-tensioned hammer-spring with the hammer down but with no second strike capability of a true DA (LEMS does). You get a longer pull but it's lighter because all you're doing is moving the hammer into position; you aren't fighting the hammer spring.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Everyone has a different feel for what they like and what feels good to them.
    Some confuse smooth with trigger pull weight and the two are very separate. A truly smooth trigger will feel lighter than it shows on a gauge.
    Changing springs does nothing to smooth out a revolver it just make the pull lighter and in fact lots of times that makes them less smooth because the heaver springs tend to mask the imperfections in the working surfaces.

Thank you!

I know the Tanfos and CZs with trigger jobs are all the rage now, but of those I've had dry fire or live fire, in almost every case the owner who was raving about how smooth the trigger pull was was really feeling a very light double action trigger that was just so-so. Obviously the lighter double action makes them easier to shoot, so it's not a functional issue in most cases, but it's a little cringey to keep hearing about how smooth they are when they feel like 60 grit sandpaper rubbing on a rock compared to a nicely worked Smith and Wesson K-Frame.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I had the opportunity to pull the trigger on BossHoss’s j frame carry gun and Holy Jesus.... smooth is a huge understatement. I have a 3” model 60 that will be going his way for some love in the trigger department. Might have to send the 337 along with it. Then maybe my 629s....man this is going to get spendy!

Top Bottom