• ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Two in one weekend.
    467AF41F-8714-48EB-BB2F-6A3122C73071_zpswqowatlc.jpg

Where was the cotton mouth located? I'm guessing it was somewhere besides the "small area in Southern Indiana" that DNR says they should be

https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/9385.htm

I may have to start paying more attention to where I'm walking on some of my fishing excursions.

When I was growing up in FL, I would not walk when fishing/hiking, etc where I could not see my feet, and I would not swim in many lakes/rivers, etc due to snakes and gators. I may have to start applying some of those rules to IN.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Where was the cotton mouth located? I'm guessing it was somewhere besides the "small area in Southern Indiana" that DNR says they should be

https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/9385.htm

I may have to start paying more attention to where I'm walking on some of my fishing excursions.

When I was growing up in FL, I would not walk when fishing/hiking, etc where I could not see my feet, and I would not swim in many lakes/rivers, etc due to snakes and gators. I may have to start applying some of those rules to IN.

Those are Copperheads pictured. The DNR info on the Cotton Mouth is correct. Contrary to popular opinion, they are only found in one county in Indiana. Most people see a water snake and assume it is a water moccasin.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Those are Copperheads pictured. The DNR info on the Cotton Mouth is correct. Contrary to popular opinion, they are only found in one county in Indiana. Most people see a water snake and assume it is a water moccasin.

Ah, cool thanks for the correction. Not sure why I was thinking Cotton Mouth.

And yes, I have heard no water moccasins in most of Indiana (thankfully) (they were all over where I fished in FL when I was a kid. As you state), I have also heard folks say that is not correct, so wasn't sure and why I asked about it when I thought we were talking Cotton Mouths.

I've seen plenty of water snakes in various locations here, but as you stated, not moccasins/Cotton Mouths, thankfully.

Last edited:

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    Copperhead Sneks.... Cottonwood/Water Mocs Sneks, no thanks. Schwacked a C/WM a couple years ago. Was only 4ft long, and pursued me through a beach/sandy area in Arkansas. Mr 230gr FMJ, 45cal did the duty. (in a Rock Island 1911A, no less) Rat Sneks are a friend and deserve respect and long life. A long walking stick is a good tool to brush them aside, and boots, not sneakers on your feet. Vigilant action is advised in any area.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When I was in Boy Scouts, I got a garter snake from another kid I went to school with. I was doing the whole "grab him behind the head" thing, like you would with a venomous snake. Decided to take him on a Scout camp out and let him go. While we were loading up, another kid in my troop saw him and was like, "Oh cool!" and picked him up and was just handling him as if he could do no harm (and really, he couldn't). Well, that made me decide that I wanted to keep him!

It was either a spring or a fall camp out, so it was getting chilly at night, so I put him (in his coffee can) in my sleeping bag with me. He'd still be pretty sluggish by morning, but I'd put him on my chest under my shirt and he'd warm right up and become active again. I didn't keep him long... forget where I let him loose now, but he was my little "friend" for a bit. I think I fed him night crawlers.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    When I was in Boy Scouts, I got a garter snake from another kid I went to school with. I was doing the whole "grab him behind the head" thing, like you would with a venomous snake. Decided to take him on a Scout camp out and let him go. While we were loading up, another kid in my troop saw him and was like, "Oh cool!" and picked him up and was just handling him as if he could do no harm (and really, he couldn't). Well, that made me decide that I wanted to keep him!

It was either a spring or a fall camp out, so it was getting chilly at night, so I put him (in his coffee can) in my sleeping bag with me. He'd still be pretty sluggish by morning, but I'd put him on my chest under my shirt and he'd warm right up and become active again. I didn't keep him long... forget where I let him loose now, but he was my little "friend" for a bit. I think I fed him night crawlers.

s
    I kept asking my mom if I could have a snake, and the answer was always the same. NO!
    In 2nd grade, I brought a snake home, and had them ever since, until my 30's. I caught a few Copperheads in my teen years here in Indiana, but didn't really start catching venomous snakes until the Army in GA. They are a whole lot more common down south. Pygmy Rattlesnakes and Timber (Canebrake) Rattlesnakes were pretty common, along with Water Moccasins, if you knew where to look. Being a very avid fisherman as well, I never found a Water Moccasin while fishing, just water snakes. You had to get back in the swamps to find them, but they were everywhere then.

Snakes are very cool animals, that have a very important role in our environment. Snakes won't eat your house or camper, but, if you kill all the snakes, the mice will eat your stuff. If you live in their world, you've got to adapt to them. Don't want to get bit, where proper foot wear, and don't mess with them.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I got in trouble sophomore year for refusing to believe a teacher who told a story about the "nest of cottonmouths" he ran into up at Deam Lake....I wouldn't budge..Told him he was lying to students and causing them to fear an aggressive, albeit, common non poisonous snake and he shouldn't....Ended up being sent to the office where i continued my crusade....

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    At the shop?! :faint:

Don't tell my wife or she won't come back!

My buddy owns Party Central...This thing was laying on the showroom floor...His wife went passed it to meet a young couple planning their wedding, kicked it with her foot, looked up and said, "forgive my husband..he's a prankster"...Joe saw it slithering away, the young couple nearly fainted, and when Joe's wife saw Joe grabbing the snake she about fainted....:laugh::laugh:

He brought it by the shop on his way to take it out and release it...It's lived around their shop for four years but that was her first appearance outside of the warehouse...

The showroom....LOL....

AF1QipMXeYoqwwrTRgrabhIxYb2LOVhw4Wxy6RIIH_42=w240-h160-k-no

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I don't know snakes. I have seen snakes in Indiana. Snakes are why my wife will no longer Geocache with me. One was sunning itself ~6' up in a tree near a cache. We stopped and looked at it. It didn't like us looking at it. It jumped at us with it's mouth wide open & scared the crap out of her.

I found this website that shows Indiana snakes. It was all black, pointy nose, lighter underbelly, no stripes. The racer is the only think that looks close but this site says it's not around central IN.
    https://owlcation.com/stem/How-to-Identify-the-Snakes-of-Indiana

Top Bottom