D7iEl-HX4AASnNB.jpg

Is that a hognose?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Yes it is a hognose. If the "I'm a big, dangerous venomous snake!" ruse doesn't work, it will writhe around for a few seconds and turn on its back with its tongue hanging out. It will be as limp as a rope if you pick it up. If you set it down on its stomach, it will turn over on its back again. Apparently its limited programming says that all dead snakes must be on their backs.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Yes it is a hognose. If the "I'm a big, dangerous venomous snake!" ruse doesn't work, it will writhe around for a few seconds and turn on its back with its tongue hanging out. It will be as limp as a rope if you pick it up. If you set it down on its stomach, it will turn over on its back again. Apparently its limited programming says that all dead snakes must be on their backs.

They'll throw up as well if all else fails...

And yes that is an eastern hognose...lives by our soybean field....

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Those are Copperheads pictured. The DNR info on the Cotton Mouth is correct. Contrary to popular opinion, they are only found in one county in Indiana. Most people see a water snake and assume it is a water moccasin.

I don't see how anyone could confuse a famously thick bodied snake like a moc/mouth with almost any other NA snake. The only snakes at heavy are outside the US and look nothing like cottonmouths.

And if you have to be bitten by one, you would MUCH rather be bitten by a copperhead than a cottonmouth.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I don't see how anyone could confuse a famously thick bodied snake like a moc/mouth with almost any other NA snake. The only snakes at heavy are outside the US and look nothing like cottonmouths.

And if you have to be bitten by one, you would MUCH rather be bitten by a copperhead than a cottonmouth.
    I see it all the time. At our local swimming hole I had a family rush their kids out of the water when a "water moccasin" swam by. Being way up north here, I tried to convince them that we were FAR out of range, but all they did was pull up a pic on their phone and insist it looked just like that. Didn't bother to check a range map or do any research or trust me, who actually works there every day.:rolleyes:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas

Up here we primarily have the Northern Water Snake. They don't get very big or heavy bodied, but down south in GA, they pretty much have a 12 month growing season and numerous species. There are plenty of harmless water snakes that are as heavy bodied as a Mocassin. Unless you really know the difference, they are very similar, by design.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I don't know snakes. I have seen snakes in Indiana. Snakes are why my wife will no longer Geocache with me. One was sunning itself ~6' up in a tree near a cache. We stopped and looked at it. It didn't like us looking at it. It jumped at us with it's mouth wide open & scared the crap out of her.

I found this website that shows Indiana snakes. It was all black, pointy nose, lighter underbelly, no stripes. The racer is the only think that looks close but this site says it's not around central IN.
    https://owlcation.com/stem/How-to-Identify-the-Snakes-of-Indiana

What your describing is a Black Racer. They are just mean, aggressive snakes. They aren't fun at all. Here is one that I was asked to remove last Sunday. Notice the blood on my hand. They are very bitey. They don't strike and let go, they tend to bite, hang on, and basically chew on you.

234BBFB1-FCA8-47A4-9594-7F732554EBD6_zpsggsdynag.png

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Up here we primarily have the Northern Water Snake. They don't get very big or heavy bodied, but down south in GA, they pretty much have a 12 month growing season and numerous species. There are plenty of harmless water snakes that are as heavy bodied as a Mocassin. Unless you really know the difference, they are very similar, by design.

Yep, growing up in FL, and spending a lot of time around lakes and water, I never cared to figure out if something was a Mocassin or not, I just tried to be cautious as possible and avoid them, and always tried to be able to see my feet where I was fishing, etc.

Charleybravo56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Nashville
    I had to remove this little fella off of the road last week.
    E50FF52F-360B-4E2F-AF6D-2CBC8DE5AAC4.jpeg

Attachments

• 5EAC172D-6676-444D-9127-001A9211016F.jpeg
      5EAC172D-6676-444D-9127-001A9211016F.jpeg
      93.5 KB · Views: 22
    Last edited:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Found this little guy hiking the Adena Trace trail at Brookville Lake a couple weeks ago.

Sent this pic to my daughters and said "I found a baby rattlesnake." Looks like the dry weather has made it hard for it to shed it's skin completely.

uka6IJi.jpg
    [/IMG]

Last edited:
    Top Bottom