• ...and so much more!
  • Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Hopefully, direland will chime in here.
    He was an accomplished scout sniper in Vietnam. If I remember him correctly, sniping is 15% shooting and 85% staying alive.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I am some what young. Young enough to still have time to prepare for my future military career. I am interested in becoming a marine scout sniper. Can I have some tips on long range shooting, formulas, camo( ghillie suit), and things I might want to consider before doing anything I would regret. And last but surely not least THANK YOU to all the VETERANS who put there lives on the line to protect my freedom.

My honest advice... pick a field that will give you skills for a career outside of the military. A lot of young people (myself included at the time) think they are going to be lifers. I'd say 99.9% of them are done after their first or second term.

If you still want the job, start running now because you'll never be able to run enough to be ready for it. You have to have patience, a lot of patience. What you should be focusing on now is graduating school. You'll have plenty of time to join after high school and I highly recommend going to college for at least 2 years before signing up. I also recommend going reserve before going active. That way if you don't like the military lifestyle you only have to do it 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year.

As for long range shooting at your age, what do you consider long range? Most people on here consider long range 300-500 yards and that's with a scoped precision rifle. You'll have to hit 750 with irons if you ever do make it into SS. And that's the easy part of it. Your MOS has to be Recon or Infantry, you have to have a 300 PFT score, etc. etc.. I'm sure you've already looked up what is required to volunteer for SS. If you don't want to be a grunt don't consider being a scout sniper because that's what you're going to be if you fail.

Also, if you want a certain job (other than Infantry of course), you need to go Army, Navy, or Air Force. Because in the Marines we give you a choice of what field you want to go into. From there it is the Marines choice of what job you are given.

If you have any questions feel free to message me. I'll help you along as best I can. :yesway:

direland

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Martinsville, IN
    from one Devil to a future......don't worry about the formulas, suits, tactics, etc...they'll teach you all of that they want you to know if you make it that far......concentrate on iron sights with an M16....if you don't qualify EXPERT out to 500 meters...you're not going to be selecting for further marksmanship training.....also, brush up on your ASVAB testing...specifically the G&T section....this section is what they will use to gauge your capabilities and it will limit you in what jobs you can or cannot do

also, make sure you do not get into ANY trouble....even financial....as that will disqualify you from the security clearances you will need to obtain

Good advice! I was a Scout Sniper('66-'68) that was offered a choice between County or Federal employment. Back then if you could walk, talk, & chew gum you were taken. Physical & mental conditioning is where its at todeay. With the conditioning and disipline and hard work you can make yourself a good shooter.

4th Marines Scout Snipers, RVN '66-'68
    Semper Fi

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Get involved in High Power competition with a 20 inch AR15. The course of fire is the same as the Marine course of fire. You will also meet lots of Marines who were scout snipers and such.

Then, go to Camp Perry as a competitor next August and meet the Marine Corps Rifle Team.

Good luck.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I was a marine scout sniper between 2007-09 here is what worked for me/ what they want.... understand these arnt exactly requirements but if you want to earn your "hogs tooth" a bullet on a piece of para cord and HOG stands for "hunter of gunman" you might want keep this stuff in mind

at least 3 rifle qualification as rifle expert ( i shoot only two one range high, other was qualification day high)

they pefer people that have gone through a crew served weapons course (machine gun training)

you must have a first class pft also a high swim qualification helps

a secret classification is a huge help ( i had one due to the equipment i worked with) you have to stay out of trouble to get one and keep it

keep in mind you dont have any leverage on getting into sniper school you have to impress them... you must have a clean record! non grunt units still like to have them for bragging rights plus if you get in and pass it you will have a greater chance getting detached to other units that are in need of scout snipers if that what your wanting to do

now fair as training they will teach you everything but you got to prove your self first make sure you eat up every thing they teach you on the range and apply it...

but i tell you some of the things/parts that drop alot of people

physical conditioning and injury's so train well
    unknown distance qualifications you will have to range your targets set your "dope" basically making your elevation and windage settings to your scope

another big problem is people failing to cycle the next round on qualifications.... the m40 is a Remington 700 action make sure that bolt comes all the way back to the stop till bringing it forward to load the the next round.... sounds simple but it knocks out a lot of people (its called a fail to load) counts as a miss

lastly make sure you know who your strongest shooters are you will need a good spotter and you will get the choice who spots for you....

but hands down the hardest thing to pass in sniper school is the stalking basically a test of cover and concealment

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Good advice! I was a Scout Sniper('66-'68) that was offered a choice between County or Federal employment. Back then if you could walk, talk, & chew gum you were taken. Physical & mental conditioning is where its at todeay. With the conditioning and disipline and hard work you can make yourself a good shooter.

4th Marines Scout Snipers, RVN '66-'68
    Semper Fi

:patriot: Semper Fi

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I was a marine scout sniper between 2007-09 here is what worked for me/ what they want.... understand these arnt exactly requirements but if you want to earn your "hogs tooth" a bullet on a piece of para cord and HOG stands for "hunter of gunman" you might want keep this stuff in mind

at least 3 rifle qualification as rifle expert ( i shoot only two one range high, other was qualification day high)

they pefer people that have gone through a crew served weapons course (machine gun training)

you must have a first class pft also a high swim qualification helps

a secret classification is a huge help ( i had one due to the equipment i worked with) you have to stay out of trouble to get one and keep it

keep in mind you dont have any leverage on getting into sniper school you have to impress them... you must have a clean record! non grunt units still like to have them for bragging rights plus if you get in and pass it you will have a greater chance getting detached to other units that are in need of scout snipers if that what your wanting to do

now fair as training they will teach you everything but you got to prove your self first make sure you eat up every thing they teach you on the range and apply it...

but i tell you some of the things/parts that drop alot of people

physical conditioning and injury's so train well
    unknown distance qualifications you will have to range your targets set your "dope" basically making your elevation and windage settings to your scope

another big problem is people failing to cycle the next round on qualifications.... the m40 is a Remington 700 action make sure that bolt comes all the way back to the stop till bringing it forward to load the the next round.... sounds simple but it knocks out a lot of people (its called a fail to load) counts as a miss

lastly make sure you know who your strongest shooters are you will need a good spotter and you will get the choice who spots for you....

but hands down the hardest thing to pass in sniper school is the stalking basically a test of cover and concealment

additional good points for those who seek this coveted job in the Corps in this post

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    in all honesty.....you're gonna be cut out for it, or your not...and you prolly wont know which is true until after bootcamp....no amount of training you do now (aside from physically) is going to prepare you for the challenges psychologically.....you'll understand more of what I mean by this during/after boot camp and SOI......you really gotta be "on point" in your head to try to shoot for this job, the physical requirements are simply the "prequisites" to even be considered to get sent to Sniper school......if you don't show that your motivated, intelligent, etc, and otherwise not a "S**tbag"...then your probably not going to get selected to go......

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    in all honesty.....you're gonna be cut out for it, or your not...and you prolly wont know which is true until after bootcamp....no amount of training you do now (aside from physically) is going to prepare you for the challenges psychologically.....you'll understand more of what I mean by this during/after boot camp and SOI......you really gotta be "on point" in your head to try to shoot for this job, the physical requirements are simply the "prequisites" to even be considered to get sent to Sniper school......if you don't show that your motivated, intelligent, etc, and otherwise not a "S**tbag"...then your probably not going to get selected to go......
    exactly its comes down to how well you impress your unit and your command, how well your liked, if you can keep your self out of trouble, there is no such thing as a dumb sniper and i hope you liked math class... only your unit can get you selected so it really depends on what they are willing to do your you most times they are not too supportive so your work is cut out for you

YOU EARN THIS ITS NOT GIVEN

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    exactly its comes down to how well you impress your unit and your command, how well your liked, if you can keep your self out of trouble, there is no such thing as a dumb sniper and i hope you liked math class... only your unit can get you selected so it really depends on what they are willing to do your you most times they are not too supportive so your work is cut out for you

YOU EARN THIS ITS NOT GIVEN

exactly

but don't let all of this info discourage you....I love the Marine Corps and every second of training I had with them (giving or receiving).....but again, in all honesty if the information on this thread was enough to discourage you...you won't make it that far anyway....in which case I would suggest you might talk to another branch about sniping opportunities....last I spoke with an Army recruiter they made it clear that you can actually sign up SPECIFICALLY for the "sniper" MOS....unlike the Marine Corps where you have to sort of "try out" and jump through hoops........but best of luck in which ever you choose

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Work out. I want to be a SS when I grow up 0317! I have learned that grades matter just as much as marksmanship. Markmanship+work out+ Good grades+being liked by superiors =USMC scout sniper

infidel15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    exactly

but don't let all of this info discourage you....I love the Marine Corps and every second of training I had with them (giving or receiving).....but again, in all honesty if the information on this thread was enough to discourage you...you won't make it that far anyway....in which case I would suggest you might talk to another branch about sniping opportunities....last I spoke with an Army recruiter they made it clear that you can actually sign up SPECIFICALLY for the "sniper" MOS....unlike the Marine Corps where you have to sort of "try out" and jump through hoops........but best of luck in which ever you choose

infidel15
    Plinker

To be honest all these answers to my question, all these suggestions only made me want to work harder. All of these responses only motivated me, it only incouraged me to nag my dad more about getting an ar15 and a remington 700. Thank you all and THANK YOU TO ALL THOSE VETS OUT THERE YOU ALL HAVE MY COMPLETE AND TOTAL RESPECT! ORAH!

Scratcher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    In a house
    :twocents: my advice, start running now and learn to love pain

Also.........Get a pack on your back with at least 20lbs of weight in it and run with a couple of 3lb dumbbells. Running in shorts and sneakers on asphalt is one thing. Running in battle gear with a belt kit, Bergen and loaded rifle over rough ground is entirely another!!

Top Bottom