• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Probably. People have no shame. Wedding showers and baby showers are sad. How pathetic can someone be to ask others to a party with the intention of just getting free stuff. If you decide to get married or are having a baby, it's on you to pay for your decisions. Don't expect others to do it for you. /rant
    I thought welfare had 47% of those parties covered. Oh wait.......

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I have been to a few gender parties.... usually they are tagged along with the baby shower, some are not.... the ones I been to have had booze ..... I have always attempted to practice making babies with my wife after, maybe the ladies are controlling us with free beer.

I have no problem going to them.... its fun getting together with all our friends from over the years especially old college roommates.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I just passed out cigars afterwards as was the tradition. This generation "shares" more than did mine.

However, I vaguely recall having parties for a lot less significant events ("It's Thursday" :rockwoot:) when I was in my twenties. If the parents want to announce it at a get-together with interested family and close friends then that is fine with me. If the parents want to keep it a surprise that is also fine with me.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    We did one. Although it was small. We shipped a big box to each of our parents. Then dialed them both up on the same time on facetime. We had them open the box and it was full of "It's a boy" balloons. It was fun. Lasted about 5 min and that was it. No gifts given or expected. We had to do IVF, so this was the only part of the whole thing that was a surprise to anyone. It's funny when someone makes the joke to me about how much fun the conception was. I know what they are saying, but yeah. Me going in and having my nuts chopped up then the next day having my wife have eggs extracted and a week later having embryos implanted. It took a team of doctors, lots of equipment and sterile rooms. Yeah, very enjoyable. So, this gender reveal thing has been really the only fun part of the whole experience.

Jason

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    With the two grandsons, the daughter and SiL, just dropped by our house after "that" appointment with the copy of the ultrasound and told us what they found out...
    No party... although I do like parties... but I don't really need an excuse if I want to have one. I just say, come over and I will feed you.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Just a chance to celebrate a child on the way :dunno:
    Just another reason to have a BBQ and drink a few beer with friends. Id go to it

This is how I look at it. I couldn't care less if somebody brings gifts for the future mini-me. I just want the opportunity to share the gift of life with my family and friends. We lived away from family/friends for 4 years. During that time you realize how important those people are in your life and how you want to share as much of your life with them. It's not about selfishness or entitlement. It's about celebration and love.

Plus, if I'm holding the party, you can bet your butt there's going to be booze. #Imnograndmasterbutibuybeer

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Just another way to share in the excitement of finding out whether you are having a boy or girl. Very common nowadays. It's clearly not for everyone, but fun for others.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I thought this thread was going somewhere completely different... I'm glad it didn't.

Anyways, a few years ago friends did this. They had a mitigating circumstance in that they had been having some difficultly including a miscarriage, so the party was a true celebration for all. It was nothing more than a baby shower that was gender neutral, not froo-froo (guy safe).

What's the etiquette on a baby show for a second baby?

Regardless, it much better than a wedding shower. That one seems excessive.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Regardless, it much better than a wedding shower. That one seems excessive.

What's excessive is the Engagement present, shower gift, AND wedding present. There's a 50% chance that the marriage won't last a lifetime and you've just provided more stuff for them to fight over in the end!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You are only supposed to get one baby shower.

Only one?

But what if there are multiple "sides" of family involved?

For our firstborn, I think we had four showers. At least one of them was a "combined" shower with two sets of family that shared a geographical region.

TWO of those showers - our firstborn actually attended in the flesh. She was a wee-bit early...

And several months ago, a friend of mine from college had a "sprinkle" - kind of a mini-shower for her third kid. The time-span between #2 and #3 was significant enough that they no longer had any "baby things". And, rather than having to go out and buy all new stuff again, her sister organized her a much smaller party where people would bring them their gently used stuff.

Some of you all really ought to knock back a Valium or two and work on un-twisting your panties. Sheesh, people.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Only one?

Let me rephrase .... custom has it, you are only supposed to have baby showers for the first child.

Some of you all really ought to knock back a Valium or two and work on un-twisting your panties. Sheesh, people.

When have I ever complained about going to one.... get off your elitist high horse

Last edited:
    Top Bottom