• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I think you're getting far more upset about this than you should be. For many people it's the most amazing/exciting thing in their life, and most times from what I've seen their family is incredibly excited about it too.

I'm not sure why you'd be so upset about other people wanting to celebrate an important event with friends and family...
    I'm not upset. I just think it ridiculous, unnecessary, and attention-whoring. The gender of the child is not "an important event."

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I didn't want to know if it was a boy or girl. I liked the surprise. It's kind of like looking at Christmas gifts early. When I sat it on the ultrasounds I made it a point to tell the doc not to tell me. I'd leave the room if my wife wanted to know. I told my wife to hide the gender specific stuff she bought from me. I was really excited in the OR.

I've seen every one of my children come in to the world. three gorls and one boy. Last was a C section. That was a trip to sit threw. My wife was a trooper. Did not bother her lol.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    So, is it another gift-giving occasion?

Probably. People have no shame. Wedding showers and baby showers are sad. How pathetic can someone be to ask others to a party with the intention of just getting free stuff. If you decide to get married or are having a baby, it's on you to pay for your decisions. Don't expect others to do it for you. /rant

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's not how I do it, so it's stupid.

Am I doing it right?

In the days of dwindling social interaction face to face, whatever people use as an excuse to get together, have fun, and enjoy each other's company in person is a good thing in my book. Perhaps INGO could have a "stick removal" party and everyone could announce the size of the one up their backside.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    It's not how I do it, so it's stupid.

Am I doing it right?

In the days of dwindling social interaction face to face, whatever people use as an excuse to get together, have fun, and enjoy each other's company in person is a good thing in my book. Perhaps INGO could have a "stick removal" party and everyone could announce the size of the one up their backside.

Someone please rep this brilliant man for me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm not upset. I just think it ridiculous, unnecessary, and attention-whoring. The gender of the child is not "an important event."
    Yep. Shoot us an email, post it on Facebook or send a card. See you at the shower.

Yall are some angry people :):
    Nah, just overly practical. NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!:fogey:

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Yep. Shoot us an email, post it on Facebook or send a card. See you at the shower.

Nah, just overly practical. NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!:fogey:

Don't you think that's a little impersonal. I was always under the impression that important conversations should be had in person, or over the phone worst case scenario.

Also...old. :laugh:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I don't believe so

Like I said, I haven't been to one. I'm under the impression it is more of a "Hey, we want to share this with you" celebration. No gifts necessary. However I could be wrong, it's happened before
    The only one I've been to the guys sat around grilling meats and drink adult beverages while the girls all chatted about baby things, we had some good food, some cake, a little "competition" to see who could guess the sex right based upon all the wives-tales on what may indicate a boy or girl, and then the big reveal. The parents get to share their excitement at the gender of the baby with all their closest family and friends.

How many ways do we need to manufacture to celebrate the same kid? It's ridiculous.
    Do we need a reason to celebrate things and share some of our most exciting moments of our lives with friends and family? It's fun, it's time with family and friends, if you don't care to go then don't go. It's not like anybody is asking anything of you, they're inviting you to attend and share in their excitement...

Probably. People have no shame. Wedding showers and baby showers are sad. How pathetic can someone be to ask others to a party with the intention of just getting free stuff. If you decide to get married or are having a baby, it's on you to pay for your decisions. Don't expect others to do it for you. /rant
    Then don't go if you hate giving that much. Most people, OTOH, enjoy giving gifts to others. If you get invited, but feel so strongly against such things, don't go. Do you also not buy birthday gifts and Christmas presents? Or are you mostly just against "invitation" type events?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It's nothing more than the procreation version of "Everybody gets a trophy." What's next? "All 10 fingers and toes" parties?

It's not wrong because I didn't do it that way. It's not wrong, period. It's just ridiculous.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Ahem, I have spent too much time listening to WFHB community radio in Bloomington so I feel compelled to point out that gender and sex are not the same thing.

The parents are not revealing the "gender" of the child at the party as the name implies, but rather the "sex" of the child. These parties are not actually "Gender Parties".

Therefore, I humbly submit that these parties should be called by their rightful name: "Sex Parties".

A card from friends/family titled "You are invited to our Gender Party!" would probably not get read, let alone responded to. On the other hand, a card from those same people titled "You are invited to our Sex Party!" would get opened and read at the very least.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    It's nothing more than the procreation version of "Everybody gets a trophy." What's next? "All 10 fingers and toes" parties?

It's not wrong because I didn't do it that way. It's not wrong, period. It's just ridiculous.

38163004.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Ahem, I have spent too much time listening to WFHB community radio in Bloomington so I feel compelled to point out that gender and sex are not the same thing.

The parents are not revealing the "gender" of the child at the party as the name implies, but rather the "sex" of the child. These parties are not actually "Gender Parties".
    Yes, you have spent too much time listening.

Therefore, I humbly submit that these parties should be called by their rightful name: "Sex Parties".

A card from friends/family titled "You are invited to our Gender Party!" would probably not get read, let alone responded to. On the other hand, a card from those same people titled "You are invited to our Sex Party!" would get opened and read at the very least.

Imagine the disappointment by some when they got to the line where it said bring your kids.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My first child just turned 3 last month and we wanted to be surprised, so we chose not to find out the sex of the baby ahead of time.

Our second one is due in May and we'll wait for this one too.

The added bonus is that waiting is driving our friends and family nuts. They all want to know much more than we do.

Top Bottom