• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Seems like discovering the sex of your unborn child would be a private moment, best appreciated in the company of your partner... but if you want to invite co-workers and can tolerate face-to-face family time then by all means, celebrate.

I've never heard of it, no.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    38163004.jpg
    You got a better one?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My friends and I did the "its a boy/girl" cigar thing amongst ourselves. That's a tradition that goes back way longer than I've been around. I guess our grandparents were just too danged in your face about what sort of baby they were having.

5h5smb.jpg

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I haven't been to such a party but would probably go if invited. I did not ask to know what I was having with my kids, but the ultrasounds were pretty darn obvious even to my untrained eye so I had a good idea on the first and no doubt on the second.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My first child just turned 3 last month and we wanted to be surprised, so we chose not to find out the sex of the baby ahead of time.

Our second one is due in May and we'll wait for this one too.

The added bonus is that waiting is driving our friends and family nuts. They all want to know much more than we do.

Well, if you don't have at least an inkling by the time they're 3, there may be something amiss... ;)

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Here's my wonderful gender announcement story.

I was working second shift and my wife and I went to the ultrasound right before I had to go to work. At this point, we hadn't decided how we were going to make the announcement. This was going to be the first grandchild for both sides of the family. We went to the appointment and found out it was a girl. I went to work and my wife went home.

My grandma called my wife not long after we got home wanting to know what we found out. My wife explained to her that we hadn't decided how or when to tell yet. At this point, none of our parents even knew yet, let alone grandparents. Fast forward a day or 2, we find out from other family that my grandma is absolutely furious that we didn't tell her, after all she did for us, yada, yada. My wife hadn't even told her own mother yet. All my family wanted my wife and I to go groveling to my grandma for forgiveness and I refused. I knew my wife had all the respect in the world for my grandma and would never in a million years try to disrespect my grandma. I think it was at least a couple years before my grandma and I spoke again and I know the relationship was never fully repaired. It caused a lot of tension between my father and I as well as he was stuck in the middle of it. Everyone would say we were right for handling it the way we did but wanted to cow to her.

So the moral of the story is for any family of expecting parents. BACK OFF!!!!!!!!!!! Any joy we should have had from the moment was taken by overzealous family.

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    I'm not upset. I just think it ridiculous, unnecessary, and attention-whoring. The gender of the child is not "an important event."

I agree. I know people who have had them. When my wide and I announced to our families that we did not and were not going to find out the sex of our child I was shocked at how many people got upset from it. We simply wanted it to be a surprise. We never expected to get belittled form so many "caring" family members because of it. If we had it to do over we would still do it exactly the same.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    in the words of a certain cat, look at me, look at me, look at me now.

Yes, you young hipsters invented procreation.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    an awful lot of grouchy people

I didn't see it as anything special, more of a card game on Friday night, or a movie and wine on Saturday night. A chance for family and friends to get together.

Or hey, maybe something we can understand a MEET AND GREET with people on INGO.

I see it as a chance to get together with friends. I only knew the gender of my last child. Didn't have a party for him.

Last edited:

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I see nothing wrong with family and friends getting together and having fun and announce the sex of their baby, heck sometimes we do it for no reason at all other than it is fun. I guess I fall into the "look at me" and "millennial" category, but oh well if I'm not working I like to enjoy myself.

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Here's my wonderful gender announcement story.

I was working second shift and my wife and I went to the ultrasound right before I had to go to work. At this point, we hadn't decided how we were going to make the announcement. This was going to be the first grandchild for both sides of the family. We went to the appointment and found out it was a girl. I went to work and my wife went home.

My grandma called my wife not long after we got home wanting to know what we found out. My wife explained to her that we hadn't decided how or when to tell yet. At this point, none of our parents even knew yet, let alone grandparents. Fast forward a day or 2, we find out from other family that my grandma is absolutely furious that we didn't tell her, after all she did for us, yada, yada. My wife hadn't even told her own mother yet. All my family wanted my wife and I to go groveling to my grandma for forgiveness and I refused. I knew my wife had all the respect in the world for my grandma and would never in a million years try to disrespect my grandma. I think it was at least a couple years before my grandma and I spoke again and I know the relationship was never fully repaired. It caused a lot of tension between my father and I as well as he was stuck in the middle of it. Everyone would say we were right for handling it the way we did but wanted to cow to her.

So the moral of the story is for any family of expecting parents. BACK OFF!!!!!!!!!!! Any joy we should have had from the moment was taken by overzealous family.

Well said, a couple shouldn't be pressured into telling if you are having a girl or boy.

Top Bottom