So....does anyone still actually shoot .40 ???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Just put 150 rounds through my P250 .40 yesterday. Came home last night and was thinking I really need to take my SP2022 .40 out for a run this week. With arthritis in my hands, I find the .40 less punishing than .45. I have given all my .45s to my son-in-law.

And if the .40 isn't enough, I have .357 Sig conversion barrels for both guns.

Frankly, I plan to keep shooting them as long as my hands don't hurt too much.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    .40 is a staple of my collection and I'm enjoying the good deals out there.
    I've added 4 of them to the collection in the last year.
    I will never go away from .40, unless all the reloading supplies disappear. I might be weird, but I would much rather shoot my Glock 23 over my 19 every day of the week. Needless to say I despise the 19. On another note a full size CZ 75 in .40 is my favorite gun at the moment and the snap isnt bad after shooting a bit. My next handgun will be another .40!

My experience was the same. Sold both of my G19s but still have the G23.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I only have one .40S&W. That is a Magnum Research "Baby Eagle".
    Not snappy at all, but then it's all steel.

I probably haven't shot it in close to a year, but I just picked up another 1k rounds of .40 last week.
    I may not shoot it much, but I have no plans of get rid of it.

Last edited:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    90-95% of my handgun shooting has been the .40 round. Back then it was pretty much the choice for most central Indiana LE. A few departments had .45s, but I don't recall anyone using 9mm. Now some twenty years later there seems to be a movement in LE back towards 9mm. There have likely been significant improvement in bullet designs and such. My only current 9mm is a Glock 43. In the past I had a larger Glock in 9mm and it was nice to shoot, but I sold it.

As is stands now I'd rather have a 9mm than a .40, because I'm one who does find it easier to shoot the fuller size 9mm Glock than similar .40 handguns. I have a .40 HK that I've been thinking about letting go. If I do replace it with a semi-auto, it would likely be with a 9mm HK. Once funds are available in a few years, I'd actually like compact (not sub-compact) Glock in 9mm, .40, and .45.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I have a Gen 3 Glock 22 marked Detroit Police Dept on it. I believe it was unissued or hardly shot at all. With its standard trigger I can shoot it better than my Glock 17 and my Glock 21 Gen 4 that has a ghost trigger connector in it. The only handguns that I shoot better than that 22 are my revolvers in double action mode. I bought it in case there was another panic and plan on keeping it and shooting it for years to come

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have 3 of them and don't plan to get rid of them at present. I have a Beretta 96A1, Glock 23 and Glock 35 that I am building up for a race gun of some sort. Lots of good deals on .40 guns right now. I carried the 23 for a couple years then switch to 9mm cause I am more accurate with that caliber. I like the .40 though and found .40 ammo long after 9mm dried up after Sandy Hook.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Every chance I get the Glock 22/23/27 series are my go to guns.

Let us all know where you are finding them cheaply for sale.

Last edited:

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    40 S&W isn't trendy anymore but I don't think it is going to fade away. There were a lot of handguns sold in that caliber so it has sufficient "invested market mass" to survive the current trend back to 9mm. Many people like to own firearms in the same calibers used by the Military and LEO so 9mm is hot (again) now. 40 S&W is no longer the "new hotness" but it will continue to be viable.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I daily carry a M&P40 2.0, and even shoot a M&P Pro series in local competitions. Although I have 9mm and .45 ACP handguns that could also serve in both of these rolls, I still prefer the .40 S&W cartridge... Call me strange.

Daily carry .40 S&W

2.25" Off-hand Group at 25-yards... Tell me again, what I would gain by moving to a 9mm or .45ACP?

Last edited:

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Because of the pool of guns still on the market for .40 and the continuing trend of new gun owners who either fell in line with a .40 (pronounced a certain way) or a revolver is the best handgun, I don't believe this caliber will ever truly go away

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I only jumped on shooting 40 because I could pick them up soo cheap. Ammo is on par with 9mm most shops I frequent but the real savings is in the one to two hundred dollars you save on buying a gun in 40 over 9mm. I don't think there is enough noticeable difference in handling and firing between the two calibers when dealing with full size and long slide to make me better with one over the other.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I really like pistols that shoot .40SW and .357 Sig.
    The only 9mm I carry is a pocket pistol for when I can't carry my main pistol.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Not my preferred caliber, but I still see plenty of people using them. Lots of PDs using .40 as well. Don't think it will go away anytime soon.

Top Bottom