• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    As an "AK connoisseur" I have to say I prefer my AK variants as delivered. Something about putting rails on an AK, or a nice AR style aiming device, or an AR style collapsible stock, or...just isn't my cup of tea.

Now if it has a side rail, which some of mine do, I have installed everything from an SVD scope to a nice reasonably priced rifle scope.

There are upper handguard/gas tube replacements that have rails that allow you to put a nice red dot quick acquisition sight on. That is about as far as I would go, but I would never be seen in public with one! ;)

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    If you have to have a red dot and don't want to spend more on it than the rifle I always suggest looking at Primary Arms. I have had them on everything from .22's to my saiga12 with 0 problems. Are they aimpoint?hell no but they aren't 600 bucks either. If you have a side rail mount go for the lowest profile mount you can find. The cheap ones,utg , are way to high for a good check weld.JMHO

I almost forgot

:postpics:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I own a Maadi myself and love it. I just added a CCA lower hand guard, Brownells broom stick, and a Thermld polymer 30 round mag. I also, painted the furniture OD green. Future plans include a weapons light and red dot scope.

Before pic

001-24.jpg

After pic

004-5.jpg

My next upgrades will include the following.

AK 47 Accessories AK 47 Scope Mount picitiny rail
    Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 Red Dot Sight 1x 25mm 3 MOA Dot with Integral Weaver-Style Mount Matte - MidwayUSA scope
    Streamlight PolyTac LED light
    Viking Tactics Light Mount light mount

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    For substantially less coin, you could try a Primary Arms Gen II (or III) Micro. Highly recommended. :yesway:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/71985-primary_arms_aimpoint_clones.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._arms_rds_owners_how_are_they_holding_up.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ms_micro-dot_aimpoint_clone_torture_test.html

(caveat: I don't believe it will co-witness with your irons, if that is of concern)

You are correct sir.
    You really need to two of them, leave one with the "traditional" look and then bubba the hell out of the other one.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    For substantially less coin, you could try a Primary Arms Gen II (or III) Micro. Highly recommended. :yesway:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/71985-primary_arms_aimpoint_clones.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._arms_rds_owners_how_are_they_holding_up.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ms_micro-dot_aimpoint_clone_torture_test.html

(caveat: I don't believe it will co-witness with your irons, if that is of concern)

Thanks for the heads up. I have looked at the Primary Arms. I know there a bit more but I think I'm going to stick with the Bushnell. I own two of their products and have been very happy. Plus the Bushnell will co-witness.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Im also in the 'traditional AK" camp. I like mine how Kalashnikov designed them.

I do have an urge to try an Ultimak railed upper hand guard setup with a Primary Arms red dot, but the key with this is, in 1 minute I can take it off and have the factory hand guard back on.

JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    +1 for keeping it stock.

You cant post a thread that you got a new rifle and not add pics, you just cant. So again

:postpics:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    and if you like your hand grips well done, jason can hook you up:):. but the most important peice of advice anyone EVER gave me was an oldtimer wise beyond his years, he told me "don't rapid fire,rapid fire doesn't prove anything, you can't be accurate":D

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Nothing all day, then I leave for an hour and the thread blows up! :D

I was once an AR guy too Evan, and still am at heart. Having been an Operator, I know how finicky they can be. I can appreciate Kalashnikov's original design for what it is. I think the originals with the wood are beautiful pieces. My intention for this rifle, is NOT conducive to that. It's going to be a beat-me-up, shoot the :poop: out of me, train with me, take me into battle, spit on a rod and run it through me because I'm dirty and I like it-type of a rifle.

Which is why I went to the AK platform. I wanted a shooter's rifle, not a rifle I have to be concerned with not cleaning (which I'll clean it anyway, mind you) quite enough, or did I get the right mags, or is this the right ammo for THIS particular rifle?

Phooey with all of that.

I want a rifle that works when I need it. If I want to deal with with finicky and indecisive, I'll ask the wife what she wants for dinner.

(waits for impending doom) :scared:

For the record, I'm not too privy on all the HSLD gear. I don't need all that. As Evan said, Red-Dot, Light, Sling. Done. Granted, I'll need some rails. Outside of that, I'm good.

Anyone have any good recommendations on rails? Lights?

Top Bottom