• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    So I have my press and my components picked out pretty much ready to pull the trigger once the funds get around to piling up. My question I am struggling with is what bullets to go with. Semi-wadcutters seem pointless for me, which leaves JSP and JHP. Seems like if they are going to cost about the same to reload why not do all hollow points? Is there a foreseeable downside to this? Would I run into any issues if I decided to shoot competitively? My sig seems to eat hollow points better so why not shoot them full time? If I have missed something please let me know.

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    I have always gone with the least expensive type that my pistols will run. Ive tested accuracy with RN FN JHP etc and not noticed a difference. (shooting 25yrds or less for USPSA / IDPA / Steel). 2 of mine dont like molly or lead, the rest do. So I load precision molly coated lead FP for those and Berrys whatever is cheapest when I order for the rest.

Sounds like you already found that your sig likes HP so unless you find a cheaper alternative that runs 100%, stick with them.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Just something to think about lead bullets are about 1/2 what plated or jacketed are. My Smith 99 likes the cast so for range ammo I shoot cast. Check out berry bullet site they have several stlyes of plated for cast look at Missouri bullet site.
    Just my :twocents: but you can shoot 2 times as much as plated or jacketed by using cast bullets.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    dont know what caliber you are loading but I would shoot lead if your gun likes them. I load missouri bullets and Dardas for most all my pistols and none have issues with lead. You can get twice the amount of bullets with lead for the same money. If I have any of the calibers you load, I would be more than happy to give ya a few to try out.

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    BulletsDirect.com is the cheapest I've found for lead. Good quality stuff too. Just don't expect a lot of communication or anything. Customer service is good though. Had a screw up (my fault) and they were accommodating in getting it fixed (shipped bad order back, only had to pay shipping for correct order.)

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Nope no progressives for me. I just have a lee single stage. Nothin fancy but gets the job done.

impressive not sure I would have the patience for that I am looking at a lee pro 1000 they were on sale last week for about 150 and I should have snapped at it then because now its not on sale anymore

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Lee progressives have too many problems for me. I am about to update to a lee turret to speed up the process though.

From what I have been reading, and believe me I do a lot of reading, the initial setup is the worst part and if not done properly they can be incredibly finicky. I would love to have a dillon but the price point is as I am sure you know much much higher.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Buy once cry once, I would just save and save until you can get a dillon. You will eventually get frustrated and buy one anyhow, why not start out that way.

You can always have your buddy go in on it with you.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Montana Gold HP is the way to go.

+1 to this right here! :rockwoot:

I've used MG 124 grain fmj 9mm bullets plus their 230 grain FMJ and their 200 grain jacketed flat point and I don't think I'll even bother looking for another bullet manufacturer. They produce a quality product at a good price and sponsor and support all sorts of shooting sports. Shipping is free to any business and $5.00 USPS to a residence.

Montana Gold Bullet, Incorporated - Kalispell, Montana

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The trick to bullets is to buy them at least 500 at a time. If you look around, sometimes you can find Remington or Winchester bulk paks that have 2000 in a box. this drops the price per bullet down. It is hard to spend the money all at once like that, but will save you money in the long run. I sure miss Star bullet in Indianapolis, as well as National bullet in East Lake, Ohio.

Top Bottom