• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    First a little background. Since being unemployed Monday has become my errand day, and I had several to run on Monday 12/05/11. And I needed to go to Wal-Mart to get a few groceries, and my arthritis script, that I had been out of since thursday. So I had to get to the bank and do the Unemployment $ xfer. Then to Best Buy for an item, then to Eagle Micro Computers for some advice and more memory to fix the problems on my home computer that were causeing slowness and freezes. (Memory fixed it! Yea!) So I get to Wal-Mart and my arthritis is in over drive. I get my script, pay for it, and then pick up a few more groceries.
    So when I get to the check out lines they are all full except one 20 or less lane with no one in it. I look at my cart and decide I probably have a little more that 20 items, but just a few. And I always cut people some slack on that since WM has told their cashiers that the 20 item thing is a guidline not a hard and fast rule, and cannot refuse a customer. So I start unloading my stuff on the line when I hear a guy say "Got more that 20 there don't you bud". I say "Well maybe, but I'm probably just a few over". Then he says something like " Your more than a few over, and you don't have to be rude" Now I did not think I was rude, but my arthrits is really hurting about now so I say jokingly "I'm sorry I'm a victim of the public school system" to try to lighten and defuse the situation. He comes back with "I don't think you even went to school". That's when I lost it, cause that's like calling me a dumba$$, and I held a 3.75 gpa in college while working a full time job! So a short argument ensues with him being the first to drop the F-Bomb on me, so I give it right back! Now usually I can ignore this stuff but yesturday I just couldn't. But I quickly decide this is going no where and just stop responding pay for my stuff and leave, while this guy continues his rant. When I got home and looked at the receipt my item total was 26 items.
    So I was just wondering from you all. Who was the bigger jerk, me for haveing 26 items in the 20 item line? Or him for acting like I had commited a felony? I'll accept your judgement. And BTW I wasn't carrying at the time, and while it never crossed my mind that a firearm might be needed. I wonder what this guy might have said or done if he caught a glimpse of my CC 1911. And then again I wonder if he would have said anything if I had been Ocing.

Last edited:

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Sounds to me like everyone's just having a bad day....

I personally don't sweat the "over 20" in the 20 or less lines too much... it's the people who stack a months of groceries into the "you scan" and sit there for 45 minutes fumbling about, receiving cashier assistance at least 3-5 times, don't know how they are going to pay, etc....

IMO the "20 items or less should be a HARD RULE" for the youscan and it should automatically end all transactions after 90 seconds of scanning hehe :D.

All that being said, I'd have probably told him to go fly a kite after the first smartass comment. Then again, my wife thinks I'm too much of a stickler for the "under 20" rule as I actually count every item on my way up to the checkout and if I have 21, I'll go to a regular line or Youscan. I don't necessarily hold others to that standard though. Everyone has their own reasons for what they do....

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    I hate to say it, but both of you. You decided that you were better or more important that all those people waiting in the full lanes. Once you made that decision, you're kinda a jerk. Now, I probably wouldn't call you out like that, or just make the one comment to point it out, but that's where you both should have left it.

MikeA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Just think, if you didnt have more than 20 items or been in the correct line none of this would of happened.

Try being a better person for the society that we live in.

Thanks

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    .. I wonder what this guy might have said or done if he caught a glimpse of my CC 1911. And then again I wonder if he would have said anything if I had been Ocing.

this comment scares me, and makes me question some peoples TRUE intention of open carrying.

second, i do get irritated when i am buying just a gallon of milk and there is somone in front of me that has more than 20 items.

the 20 item thing IS a guideline yes, but its to benefit the customer like myself that just needs to pick up one item that i needed to make dinner for my family. if they didnt draw the line at 20 then what is the point in trying to have a speedy checkout lane?

judge you? no, i am not perfect either and have probably broken this rule myself at some point in time, but i do think that the clerk was just trying to protect the integrity of the 20 item checkout line. if its not enforced or at least pressured, then whats the point in even having it?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I would say you reacted in accordance with your pain level. Had you not been in pain, you may not have been suckered into reacting.

You have the receipt. It has either his name or his id number. Call and voice that you are very upset that you were baited into over reacting, and normally wouldnt have had you had your pain in check....

I know hell hath no fury like my wife when her arthritis flares up (hips)...and ill be damned if I dont have her aleve/ibuprofen/tylenol stocked.

Also, wtf happened to the customer is always right (of course you cqnt say thyre right when they are acting-a-douche)

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't see a problem with using the 20 Item lane if you are a few over.

Sounds like the guy was a douche who called you out. I would have probably just given him the "You really want to f with me today?" look, and then proceeded to dress him down if he opened his yap again.

I don't have much tolerance for a**holes.

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just think, if you didnt have more than 20 items or been in the correct line none of this would of happened.

Try being a better person for the society that we live in.

Thanks

*Really*?

You are saying that because he used the 20 item lane he is somehow a "bad" person in today's society?:xmad:

Before I get miffed I want to make sure this is what you meant.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    this comment scares me, and makes me question some peoples TRUE intention of open carrying.

second, i do get irritated when i am buying just a gallon of milk and there is somone in front of me that has more than 20 items.

the 20 item thing IS a guideline yes, but its to benefit the customer like myself that just needs to pick up one item that i needed to make dinner for my family. if they didnt draw the line at 20 then what is the point in trying to have a speedy checkout lane?

+1

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I bet that's what the other guy was thinking too. Which is why we had this situation become more than it should have.

No, the other guy started it, for the sole fact that the OP had 26 items in a 20 item lane. That seems to me to be the trait of an a**hole.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

1. The 20 rule should be observed. I'd not give someone great for 21-11, but 26, not right.

2. Employee could have handled it better, way better.

3. Walmart... I avoid it like the plague!

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Clarification: Was the guy arguing with you an employee? I didn't get that from the original post, but it seems others read it that way... Just wondering.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    *Really*?

You are saying that because he used the 20 item lane he is somehow a "bad" person in today's society?:xmad:

Before I get miffed I want to make sure this is what you meant.

if he doesnt say it i will say it. it goes back to that whole "entitlement" thing. people think that a rule doesnt apply to them because they are having a bad day.

Integrity: adherence to moral and ethical principles
    such as following the rules.

by going into that line knowing that you had more than the allowed amount an unethical decision.

disclaimer: i have met pinshooter and i like the guy, he was respectful and a pleasure to talk to so am not trying to bash him as a person, merely bashing the decision he made at the time

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I don't have a problem with 26 items in the 20 item line. I do have a problem with the people who want to use a check but wait till the total is announced to start fumbling around,trying to find their checkbook,pen,ID. Or, the ones that use their Happy Pappy card for half the purchase and then don't seem to have enough cash for the rest of it. I just wish they would bring back a cash only line!

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    My biggest pet peeve is peoplethat take more than 20 items through the "less than 20 items" line. I'm siorry you feel that rules don't apply to you. But you are part of scoiety, therefor you should expect people to be pissy with you when you break them.

Common courtesy. You both missed the boat on this one. Admitted I would have called you out on that as well.

Top Bottom