• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buckhunter21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Southeast Indiana
    Another yearly debate, and another defeat.

(Indianapolis, Ind.) - Yet again, a proposal to change Indiana law to allow alcohol to be sold at stores on Sundays has been poured down the drain.

House Bill 1146 would have allowed carry-out sales of alcohol at most retailers seven days a week. On Wednesday, House Public Policy Committee Chairman Bill Davis (R-Portland) said he will not allow the legislation to come up for a vote.

Davis did allow a first-ever hearing on the proposal to lift the Sunday ban last week.

The organization Hoosiers for Beverage Choices called the chairman’s decision extremely disappointing.

“There is no legitimate public policy reason to not allow the Sunday carry-out sale of alcohol. It is frustrating that the General Assembly continues to behold itself to the small, but extremely powerful liquor store industry who is able to thwart the will of millions of Hoosiers who want a change,” the organization said in a statement.

Hoosiers for Beverage Choices says Indiana loses as much as $10 million in tax revenue each year because residents simply drive across state lines to purchase alcohol on Sunday. Each of Indiana’s neighboring state’s allows Sunday sales.

Big store chains like Kroger say they will push for a change in the Sunday sales law again next year, but smaller liquor stores vow to continue to fight it by arguing Sunday sales would put them at a disadvantage.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I'm sure there is a reason I'm missing, but why does Sunday sales put liquor stores at a disadvantage?

Does it not allow them to sell alcohol on Sunday too? If not, why?

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Liquor store owners say that it cuts into their profit margin because they have to pay employees to come in on Sunday and pay for whatever other daily charges occur. If they've ever met my former manager, they'd know that being open on Sundays can only help them.

sixty8firebird1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    SE IN
    I guess that's one good thing about living so close to the Ohio state line. The nearest grocery store is in Ohio and they have a good selection of alcohol on hand.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I'm sure there is a reason I'm missing, but why does Sunday sales put liquor stores at a disadvantage?

Does it not allow them to sell alcohol on Sunday too? If not, why?

Because for a lot of the "Mom & Pop" liqour stores that is their only day off. Not saying I agree with the prohibition, just giving the reasoning why the Liquor store lobby is not pulling for sunday sales.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Because for a lot of the "Mom & Pop" liqour stores that is their only day off. Not saying I agree with the prohibition, just giving the reasoning why the Liquor store lobby is not pulling for sunday sales.
    If the law changes that they can sell liquor on Sunday, it doesn't mean they have to open on Sunday. :dunno:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Can't sell carry out booze on Sunday...but you can sit in a bar and get hammered senseless and drive home. Makes a lot of sense, not. Can't sell cars in Indiana on a Sunday either...when I was kid, NOTHING was open on Sunday...and I liked it that way.

kman1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    but soon you will able to buy weed on any day of the week
    at least that's what the government wants to do ( tax revenue and all )
    myself I prefer my Busch Light 30 packs

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Can't sell carry out booze on Sunday...but you can sit in a bar and get hammered senseless and drive home. Makes a lot of sense, not. Can't sell cars in Indiana on a Sunday either...when I was kid, NOTHING was open on Sunday...and I liked it that way.

And you had to walk up hill to school, both ways, in the snow, while fighting off bears with your loose leaf binder. I think everyones parents went to the same school. Haha

Seriously though, I would like to see car lots open on Sundays. I only get two days off a week and if I want to go buy a car that leaves me with only one day a week to do it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    If the law changes that they can sell liquor on Sunday, it doesn't mean they have to open on Sunday. :dunno:

See now this has always confused me too...plenty of stores that are legal to be open 7 days a week close on weekends or close early on Sundays or whatever to give people a bit of a break. Why do they oppose being able to run their business as they see fit?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    And you had to walk up hill to school, both ways, in the snow, while fighting off bears with your loose leaf binder. I think everyones parents went to the same school. Haha

Seriously though, I would like to see car lots open on Sundays. I only get two days off a week and if I want to go buy a car that leaves me with only one day a week to do it.

You can't be trusted with the freedom to choose whether you want to buy a car on Saturday or Sunday. That's why those more educated than us have made that choice for us.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    but soon you will able to buy weed on any day of the week
    at least that's what the government wants to do ( tax revenue and all )
    myself I prefer my Busch Light 30 packs

Say what? The government wants to legalize marijuana sales? Maybe the pesky citizens should stop getting in their way.

A legal "drug" escape vs. an illegal one. :dunno:

Top Bottom