• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    So then the extra day of being open and additional costs are strawmen. Got it.

The extra costs are only associated with the current regulations. Those regulations go away and so do those costs. Make the other side play by the same rules and incur the same government regulation burden (and the costs associated with it), or remove them completely and the argument no longer exists

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    FAQ's on other state laws from ChangeItIndiana.org:

Questions and Answers About Indiana

"A statewide poll showed that 58 percent of Hoosier consumers believe that retailers should have the right to sell alcohol on Sundays and 70 percent believe cold beer should be sold by any licensed retailer."

Since 2005, when it comes to retailers selling to minors, liquor stores account for 71 percent of the violations, compared to 29 percent for drug, grocery and convenience stores.
    A two-year study by the Indiana Excise Police that looked at the ability of minors to obtain alcohol from various establishments showed that restaurants, which currently have an exclusive right to sell alcohol on Sunday, have the highest non-compliance rate at 44 percent.
    The same study also showed that minors were able to purchase alcohol at liquor stores four out of 10 times, a 73 percent increase in non-compliance over the combined rates of drug, grocery and convenience stores.

Another straw man bites the dust.

According to the excise police, we need to increase regulations on package stores.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    FAQ's on other state laws from ChangeItIndiana.org:

Questions and Answers About Indiana

"A statewide poll showed that 58 percent of Hoosier consumers believe that retailers should have the right to sell alcohol on Sundays and 70 percent believe cold beer should be sold by any licensed retailer."
    I bet they leave out the part that the other retailers do not want to have to follow the same stringent laws that the liquor stores are required to follow.

Liquor stores are the only business in the State of Indiana required to card every single person that tries to purchase alcohol under threat of heavy fines. No grocery stores, convenience stores or any other stores are required to card every single person. Just saw the sign in a local convenience store 10 minutes ago that said if you do not look 30 we need to see ID.

Funniest thing though, I just bought beer on a Sunday from a gas station.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Since 2005, when it comes to retailers selling to minors, liquor stores account for 71 percent of the violations, compared to 29 percent for drug, grocery and convenience stores.
    A two-year study by the Indiana Excise Police that looked at the ability of minors to obtain alcohol from various establishments showed that restaurants, which currently have an exclusive right to sell alcohol on Sunday, have the highest non-compliance rate at 44 percent.
    The same study also showed that minors were able to purchase alcohol at liquor stores four out of 10 times, a 73 percent increase in non-compliance over the combined rates of drug, grocery and convenience stores.

According to the excise police, we need to increase regulations on package stores.

Intresting they don't include a source

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

Guess who they were targeting? Do they have stats on who they were targeting more often? Liquor stores. The card every single person rule has benefited the liquor stores, everyone gets carded regardless. Excise was even in the hotel earlier that I am staying at trying to sting them. Hmmmmmm, wonder why, because they closed the gap on liquor stores.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    I bet they leave out the part that the other retailers do not want to have to follow the same stringent laws that the liquor stores are required to follow.

Liquor stores are the only business in the State of Indiana required to card every single person that tries to purchase alcohol under threat of heavy fines. No grocery stores, convenience stores or any other stores are required to card every single person. Just saw the sign in a local convenience store 10 minutes ago that said if you do not look 30 we need to see ID.

Funniest thing though, I just bought beer on a Sunday from a gas station.

Wrong! I've seen you post this two or three times in this thread, This very stupid law was changed awhile back.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Because for a lot of the "Mom & Pop" liqour stores that is their only day off. Not saying I agree with the prohibition, just giving the reasoning why the Liquor store lobby is not pulling for sunday sales.

Nobody is forcing them to open on Sunday. That's what I've never understood about that argument.

ricochet22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Pssst, over here
    I understand about the price difference both in what they pay and what they charge. I always considered it my choice to pay more for the added convenience of obtaining my barley sodas ready to tip. So would that be a benefit that the grocery store would have if they all played by the same rules?

Top Bottom