So much for freedom of speech and expression.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    "Right" or "wrong is subjective. Sometimes cruelly so. Oh, and EEOC should no longer exist. People aren't equal.

While I agree that people are not "equal" I do believe they should be treated equally, within reason. Sense of fair play and all that.

If we throw out EEOC, do we still get to use Title VII of the Civil Rights Act?:p

Like I said before, most employers win NOT because they are on strong legal ground, but because employees are ignorant.

Regards,

Doug

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

Just to clarify, where do you stand on the fact that she did NOT say it in public? According the the article she sent him a private message and he then made it public.

Any thoughts on that line of thinking?

I am not arguing here, just wanting your thoughts.

Doug
    Was she representing herself as an employee of the company when she sent the message? If I write something offensive/inflammatory on INGO or some other social media site and represent myself as a member of IMPD while doing so, I can face consequences from my department even if I wasn't actually working at the time.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Was she representing herself as an employee of the company when she sent the message? If I write something offensive/inflammatory on INGO or some other social media site and represent myself as a member of IMPD while doing so, I can face consequences from my department even if I wasn't actually working at the time.

I was wondering if someone would get around to this question.

In this case it would be hard to say. I would guess that she was expressing her own, personal opinion regarding the guest. I come to this simply because I cannot see a talk show host of a political program presuming to speak for the entire radio station.

Then we could ask "what time did she send the message" hoping to catch her "on the clock", except that we could then rebut that she was "on break" while sending the message.

Regards,

Doug

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    But if he's going to say that a company doesn't have the right to fire an employee because that employee said something in a very public way that doesn't reflect the values of the employer, he should expect that to be challenged.

Again, at the risk of filtering gregr's commentary through my own myopia (I'm not as Jung as I used to be), what values is such an employer espousing: the opposite of the 1A. No one doubts (seriously) her right to speak her vulgar mind, nor her employer's right to employ (subject to applicable civil right legislation). But what about the larger value? The value of [strike]free marketing[/strike] acceptance of that which makes us different? Protecting places where diversity of opinion is elevated above adherence to norms?

We should all strive to such acceptance. Those that do not - including the employer - violate the spirit of 1A just as the gov't would.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

While I agree that people are not "equal" I do believe they should be treated equally, within reason. Sense of fair play and all that.

If we throw out EEOC, do we still get to use Title VII of the Civil Rights Act?:p

Like I said before, most employers win NOT because they are on strong legal ground, but because employees are ignorant.

Regards,

Doug

The US won't be throwing out the EEOC anytime soon. I don't think government does that great a job at telling us what is equal.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You're complaining that her insulting remarks lost cost her her job? Isn't that the price of freedom?

gregr, either you refrain from your line of attack or you start wearing Levi's again.

tumblr_static_4o6eagqk0lgkso4ko4so4c0ck_640_v2.jpg

I'm going to skip over 4-eyes and go straight to POINDEXTER!

I recently wasted a perfectly good Poindexter on someone apparently too young to understand the implications. They just looked at me like a dog watching a card trick.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Once again, WRONG. Our Constitution guarantees freedom of expression and speech. It`s only negotiable if sheep lay down their rights. What`s right is NOT right only when/if, it fits some predetermined criteria.

Let me put this up to you.
    You are in a private Forum. Owned and operated by an individual that has set rules that are to be followed if you are to remain in the Forum.

Now, say you step outside the lines and are called out for it. In this call out are we stepping on your freedom of expression.

Post #9 my friend. He gets it.

I am just saying to you, stay inside the lines and nothing is said. Go outside and yes, action taken.
    It seems she went outside a set line in the sand.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Again, at the risk of filtering gregr's commentary through my own myopia (I'm not as Jung as I used to be), what values is such an employer espousing: the opposite of the 1A. No one doubts (seriously) her right to speak her vulgar mind, nor her employer's right to employ (subject to applicable civil right legislation). But what about the larger value? The value of [strike]free marketing[/strike] acceptance of that which makes us different? Protecting places where diversity of opinion is elevated above adherence to norms?

We should all strive to such acceptance. Those that do not - including the employer - violate the spirit of 1A just as the gov't would.

Post 156 kinda says the same thing.

Morally I think the company is on safe ground to fire her. Aside from the obvious SJW virtue signaling, they're taking the position that it's not commensurate with their values to call homosexuals offensive names. However I think it would have been a better outcome if after it went public, they'd have just said that they'll let the market decide about what she said.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Oh, and to Actaeon277, the Constitution LIMITS me, as an individual, to being age 30 to run for Senate. Minor, I know, but it is a limit on my power to seek office, gain power, and affect a positive change on my fellow Americans.:p

Regards,

Doug

Being in the Senate, removes you from "Citizen" to "Government".

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Let me put this up to you.
    You are in a private Forum. Owned and operated by an individual that has set rules that are to be followed if you are to remain in the Forum.

Now, say you step outside the lines and are called out for it. In this call out are we stepping on your freedom of expression.

Post #9 my friend. He gets it.

I am just saying to you, stay inside the lines and nothing is said. Go outside and yes, action taken.
    It seems she went outside a set line in the sand.
    Sometimes peoples emotions boil over and they cross a line which usually leads to consequences. It's happened plenty here on Ingo.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sometimes peoples emotions boil over and they cross a line which usually leads to consequences. It's happened plenty here on Ingo.

Ingo was just an easy example. Yes, emotions can and do get the best of us. Happens to me at times.

This is an ever changing world.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    This has turned into an intellectual discourse. I thought it would stay a good old fashion dog pile thread. I've got a wallet to find and doughnuts to buy.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    This has turned into an intellectual discourse. I thought it would stay a good old fashion dog pile thread. I've got a wallet to find and doughnuts to buy.

I know, I was pretty disappointed to see a successful derail, umm, derailed. We need to unban someone or beg them to come back, because we are clearly not as good at this as we used to be.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    tumblr_static_4o6eagqk0lgkso4ko4so4c0ck_640_v2.jpg

I recently wasted a perfectly good Poindexter on someone apparently too young to understand the implications. They just looked at me like a dog watching a card trick.

Are you related to Felix? I thiught you were Secret Squirrel.

Top Bottom