• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Due to the Performance Bike gift card I was given, I'm kind of locked into Performance Bike.

I know there are several other great shops around Indy...

Guess I could always buy somewhere else and use the card to purchase accessories / kiddy trailer...

That might be a better route. I bought my Trek used, and added some good quality wheels and tires, seat, bar-end grips, and changed the shifters for newer ones. Don't forget flashing LEDs for riding in traffic and night-time. I can't begin to tell you the number of times I've seen people on bicycles while on my way to work in the dark, and I think they must have no idea how invisible they are with no lights and reflectors! A good pair of gloves is a nice investment, too.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I see they aren't a Trek dealer. Wonder how the Fuji 29er would be? I see they are having sales right now.
    One thing I really didn't like about the hybrid I had was the suspension. it was made more for comfort, but it seemed to come at the cost of losing cranking power.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yes, I'm well versed in "buy once, cry once".

But I'm also keeping in mind that I have to weigh the budget vs. intended use and usage.

I'd LOVE a $2000 bike.

Practically speaking, a $500-700ish bike will have to do.

I get that. I am there with a lot of my purchases. If you consider used, you could score a $1500 bike in your budget and $1500 is a sweet spot for bikes these days.

Some people buy a nice bike, then end up not riding it much, or they need some cash, or they upgrade to a better bike. This benefits the guy in the market for a nice used one.

Mister K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Central IN
    I'm in no way shape or form an expert in the field of bicycles. I am not a skinny guy that wears spandex. I am a middle-aged guy that wanted to lose some weight and to accomplish that task I bought a bicycle. What I went with may not be for you, but take a look at my setup and possibly it will help you make a decision:

View attachment 29614

I bought a Trek MTB 3900, this is my first "real" bike, I've had it since 2009. My receipt says it was listed for $400, I paid $600 total with some of the accessories (rack, bag), installed. Add a couple hundred more for the rest of the accessories on there. I have never had a problem with it and it rides great. I call it my grocery getter or SUV. I use it around town to go to the store or post office. I also use it to ride out in the country for more scenic rides. I don't take it "off-road", but do drive over some rough terrain on occasion so in my opinion a road bike would not fit the bill. I like the front shocks and am glad it is a hardtail. I feel rear shocks would have made it too "squishy" not to mention the loss of cranking power you get from rear shocks. I replaced the seat post with a spring post, so while I'm sitting the ride is more comfortable. I also added a better seat and lights, mirror etc. I don't ride very fast but on occasion I will out pace the MTB gearing. When the tires eventually wear out, I will probably replace them with a road tread. But the current knobbies are not annoying. The baskets on the side fold in / out and can haul a good deal of stuff. The bag unzips two larger compartments that attach via bungee cord to the rack frame; it removes easily and has a shoulder strap. Happy bicycling!

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Once again Indy_Guy_77 suffers from analysis paralysis...

On another note, I "researched" and booked a hotel room for a mini-getaway in about an hour. It honestly usually takes me DAYS to make a decision...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Once again Indy_Guy_77 suffers from analysis paralysis...

On another note, I "researched" and booked a hotel room for a mini-getaway in about an hour. It honestly usually takes me DAYS to make a decision...

I get that often.:) I try to work on getting better by choosing my meal selection fast when at a restaurant. I try to pick in 30 seconds or less.:)

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    I commute to work almost every day and pick my cyclocross bike unless I need to carry cargo or the snow or ice is really heavy. Cross bikes generally offer a great combination of drop bars, frame clearance that allows 35ish mm tires, and gearing that works well in a lot of circumstances. Frames are usually tougher than road counterparts but lighter than touring.

Don't get hung up on brand names. Choose the best components you can for your money and take whatever frame comes along with it.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Be careful pinching pennies for a bike. Low end bikes can cause enough frustration to make people give up riding after awhile and the bike collects dust in the garage and it has little resale value.

You want to buy more bike than your ability is to extract every bit of performance out of it. Always make sure you, the rider is the limiting factor, not the equipment. Lower end bikes make you "fight" with them to make them go. Lower end components groups tend to be noisy, fall of adjustment easier and break faster. Also if you buy a more expensive bike, if you decide you don't want it anymore, it will sell faster, just like better guns do!:)

Figure out what you want and buy used if the entry price is too high. Use the Performance Gift Card for accessories. You can easily spend it on tubes, helmet, shoes, gloves, lights, bags, pumps, tires, tools, lubes, etc. etc.

Oh, and I'm not sure how old your Schwinn SS was, but Schwinn is not what is used to be.

This^^. Every word.

And consider Specialized. They make GREAT bikes!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Totally understand folks... I really do.

I know that I pretty much got rid of everything I had cycling related not too long ago.

re-investing in most of that will take up the bulk of the $250 in the gift card (tool kit, CO2 inflator, spare tubes/tires, would need a new helmet, possibly clipless pedals and shoes, etc)

Still working through this. I also gotta keep mamma happy - as she's the one who got the gift for me. If I go with another store for a bike there's the potential for hurt feelings.

*sigh*

-J-

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Speaking of buy once cry once, I sold an AR15 and a few other items to invest in my bicycle.

Spent $1400 for the bike, and a bunch of more money for the pedals, shoes, shorts tools and accessories.

Best investment I ever made.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've had clipless before. On my road bike. Put some agressivly studded BMX platform pedals on my MTB. Let me tell you what a bright idea THAT was...

I had seen that Fuji cross bike - but wasn't too terribly interested. I'd really rather have a triple chainring because I'm fat. Heh.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I bought a Specialized Roubaix last year and have been riding it a lot. I don't know which model I have, but it is the low end of the Roubaix models, it's amazing how much you can drop on a bicycle. My goal was to lose some weight. I lost a lot last year, gained a lot back over the winter. Here we go again.

Good luck!

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    I had seen that Fuji cross bike - but wasn't too terribly interested. I'd really rather have a triple chainring because I'm fat. Heh.

That is a valid consideration, but 36/30 is about 31 gear inches. Lower than typical road bike gearing without the hassle of a triple. I've gone up some big climbs turning more gear, but I am a skinny lycra type.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    th
    I like these type of shoes with my MTB, they aren't hard to walk in.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I bought a Specialized Roubaix last year and have been riding it a lot. I don't know which model I have, but it is the low end of the Roubaix models, it's amazing how much you can drop on a bicycle. My goal was to lose some weight. I lost a lot last year, gained a lot back over the winter. Here we go again.

Good luck!

Me too. For some odd reason, some of my clothes aren't fitting so well! :scratch:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TiffanieArcher
    Top Bottom