• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    As a recent shopper of bicycles myself ( https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-my-journey-into-indiana-mountain-biking.html ), here is my noob opinion on the matter.

A $250 Performance Bicycle gift card isn't anything to sneer at, but it's not enough IMO to sway you into a bike purchase there. The $250 could quickly and easily be spent on ancillary gear. The "issue" I have with PB is that they didn't carry what I felt were the bigger/better brands of bicycles. I also wasn't impressed with their sales staff or business model.

You could explain to the wife that they simply don't carry Brand X that is a better value, so you went to another shop that carried Brand X and then spent your gift card on gear. Of course all this is moot if your budget is tight. But I'm with gregkl that skimping on the bike is less-than-ideal.

As for bike style, you may be disappointed in a "jack of all trades". It'll end up sucking at everything. Keep in mind that a MTB can be pressed into service on the road with minimal effort, while a road bike will never be trail capable. An entry-level 29er MTB with an extra set of slick tires might be the way to go in terms of versatility.

The best piece of advice that I got when looking was to try, try, try everything. Test ride every bike you're interested in, regardless of brand. Fit should be your #1 priority. From there you can then consider things like component quality, warranty, etc. The cure for paralysis by analysis is test riding.

As your search continues, I'll say I've been very impressed with the staff at Gray Goat Sports at 135/Stop11. They've been more than helpful, even after my initial purchase. And their 5-years of free tune-ups is awesome for someone who would rather ride than wrench.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I test rode a Jamis Nova at Gray Goat the other day. :-(

Interesting.

So its a road bike with some beefier wheels/tires and disc brakes? Could it be trail-worthy? I'm trying to imagine steering and braking on a trail with those bars (never ridden a road bike).

I like the concept and it seems to fit your "beefier road bike for a bigger guy" criteria.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Light single-track, fire roads, double-track. Gravel/dirt roads, too.

Look up cyclo-cross races on YouTube. Neat sport.

The more I think about it the more I realize that I'm not a big fan of trail riding / actual mountain biking.

Riding a MTB, yes. Riding it as intended...not so much.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The more I think about it the more I realize that I'm not a big fan of trail riding / actual mountain biking.

If your use won't include lots of trail time, then that Jamis (or something similar) looks pretty neat. Have you looked at any other brands/models of similar styles?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If your use won't include lots of trail time, then that Jamis (or something similar) looks pretty neat. Have you looked at any other brands/models of similar styles?

The Schwinn posted above.

I know Surly makes a good one.

Most of the major players have at least one model. Sometimes 2-3 spread across several price points.

Thing is - there's "cheap" stuff in my budget....then there's the decent stuff that's way outside it. LOL

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The Schwinn posted above.

Everything I've read recently about Schwinn indicates that they aren't nearly as nice as they once were, and that quality and QC has taken a huge dive in recent years. I'm not well-versed enough to break down that link by components, but I'd be weary of a $500 Schwinn.

Did the Jamis have the road bike geometry that you said you disliked in an earlier post? Or do you still think that MTB geometry is the way to go?

In looking around I do see what you're talking about in regards to cyclocross pricing. Basement looks to be around $850. Ouch.

Here's a Specialized hybrid bike at $579. Looks like a light-duty MTB with traditional rim brakes.

2013 - Specialized Crosstrail - Gray Goat Sports: Indianapolis: Bicycles Fitness Running
    2014 - Specialized Crosstrail - Gray Goat Sports: Indianapolis: Bicycles Fitness Running

At $629 you can get the same bike with disc brakes.

2013 - Specialized Crosstrail Disc - Gray Goat Sports: Indianapolis: Bicycles Fitness Running
    2014 - Specialized Crosstrail Disc - Gray Goat Sports: Indianapolis: Bicycles Fitness Running

At some of these prices, it may just be easier to get an entry-level MTB and add some smooth road tires. Here's the entry-level version of my bike at $520.

Specialized Hardrock Disc SE 29 - Gray Goat Sports: Indianapolis: Bicycles Fitness Running

The next step up at $579.

Specialized Hardrock Disc 29 - Gray Goat Sports: Indianapolis: Bicycles Fitness Running

And then another step up to $700. The main benefit here is a fork you can lockout, which can be helpful on the road.

Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29 - Gray Goat Sports: Indianapolis: Bicycles Fitness Running

Keep in mind that Gray Goat will come down from those prices a bit.

Here's a Trek hybrid at BGI for $519. The prices go up from there as you add better components.

Trek 8.1 DS (Gary Fisher Collection) - Bicycle Garage Indy - Indianapolis and Greenwood, IN

Here's a Cannondale hybrid at $579. Has rim brakes, but also a lockout fork. The prices go up from there as you add better components.

Cannondale Quick CX 5 - Bicycle Garage Indy - Indianapolis and Greenwood, IN

Here's a Giant hybrid at $639. Even has hydralic disc brakes and a lockout fork.

Giant Roam 2 - Bicycle Garage Indy - Indianapolis and Greenwood, IN

How many bikes did you ride at Gray Goat? Been to BGI yet?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Oh yeah, forgot to ask. . . . do you know what size frame you're needing? You're tall so I'm guessing a L (21") or XL (23")?

If by chance you fit on a 19" frame this bike has been on CL for a while and would be nice. It belongs to an INGOer. It didn't suit me but its a good deal to the right person. Has a rigid fork and only 9 gears, which would be great for your intended purpose.

Jamis Exile III Men's 19" MTB with TONS of upgrades

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Oh yeah, forgot to ask. . . . do you know what size frame you're needing? You're tall so I'm guessing a L (21") or XL (23")?

If by chance you fit on a 19" frame this bike has been on CL for a while and would be nice. It belongs to an INGOer. It didn't suit me but its a good deal to the right person. Has a rigid fork and only 9 gears, which would be great for your intended purpose.

Jamis Exile III Men's 19" MTB with TONS of upgrades

Yeah, I've seen that. I think that 19" is a bit too small for me.

Also - I saw one of these this weekend. ZURIGO DISC sram apex | Bianchi USA

:drool:

I'd settle for this: http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road/steel/lupo/ or this: http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road/steel/volpe/

Or this... http://www.konaworld.com/jake.cfm *sigh*

Top Bottom