• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Impressive. Haven't seen much of these in my 47 years. Do remember one of my karate instructors flipping his around, it slipped, he jerked to grab it, in his leg and back out an inch or so down. Think of a really big sowing needle maneuver.

To his credit, he just looked up, said Sh$& and asked to be taken to hospital. No scream, no panic, even the word was said kind of offhandedly.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The flipping techniques are cool and fun to watch and for some, fun to practice and perfect. They also have limited if any martial application, but that's beside the point. No one is asserting that such displays are martial in nature.

It's a lot like 98.3% of the moves you see people do with nunchaku. It looks cool, but most of the whirling around has little and sometimes negative martial utility. A lot of people who are really, really good at the flashy stuff have never actually hit anything solid with their nunchaku. Some of them learn some interesting lessons about collisions and changes in momentum when then do.

Again, the lack of combat or defensive utility in the flourishes is irrelevant. It's a cool and fun skill.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Again, the lack of combat or defensive utility in the flourishes is irrelevant. It's a cool and fun skill.

Not necessarily...

Coordination enhancement, muscle strengthening, in-hand positioning skills from odd angles/positions, KNOWING the balance and weight transfer of it, dexterity, etc. All of these things can be gleaned (knowingly or not) from things like this.

-J-

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Cool video.... What a great display of brilliance and coordination. Is this what I should have said? Was that interesting choice of words....

Not as interesting as wanting to end his demonstration with gunfire, but far more appropriate.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm not sure the authenticity of this video, but it illustrates what Rhino is saying.

[video=youtube;SncapPrTusA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SncapPrTusA[/video]

And with over 11 million views, I think it shows his point, that such things are interesting.

Thanks for posting, Brad.

Blessings,
    Bill

The flipping techniques are cool and fun to watch and for some, fun to practice and perfect. They also have limited if any martial application, but that's beside the point. No one is asserting that such displays are martial in nature.

It's a lot like 98.3% of the moves you see people do with nunchaku. It looks cool, but most of the whirling around has little and sometimes negative martial utility. A lot of people who are really, really good at the flashy stuff have never actually hit anything solid with their nunchaku. Some of them learn some interesting lessons about collisions and changes in momentum when then do.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I'm not sure the authenticity of this video, but it illustrates what Rhino is saying.

[video=youtube;SncapPrTusA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SncapPrTusA[/video]

And with over 11 million views, I think it shows his point, that such things are interesting.

Thanks for posting, Brad.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bruce Lee died in 1973 and this is an ad for a cell phone...

snopes.com: Bruce Lee Ping-Pong

And yes the Bali video is interesting because it is real. The Bruce Lee video...not so much.

CQB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Central North Forty
    This winter has made my hands look like I tried to demonstrate these skills... And failed miserably. That's as close as I'll get.

Regardless of the subjective value one might see in ANY hobby, it is admirable to see someone put forth the effort to be good at something they enjoy.

Top Bottom