• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I can't imagine a house being humid enough to cause that much trouble with rusting of stored guns. Do you keep them in the basement, or maybe an unheated garage? I've never lived in a house where the actual living space was that humid. Even the houses that didn't have central air were fairly dry, especially in the winter.

And, guns that you carry may tend to rust faster more due to perspiration (even if you don't see it) than from the oil rubbing off. I have always wiped my guns down with an oil cloth (3 in one) any time that they are handled before I put them away, and that's all that's generally been needed, I mean, aside from cleaning after use or having them out in the weather.

Springer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    My safe is stored in the basement and I have yet to have any problems. I have a golden rod in the bottom and an eva dry unit in there to absorb any moisture. I take it out and recharge it about once every 3 weeks or so. Other than that I oil my guns after I shoot them and put them in the safe.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    It's just strange I never had this issue for almost two years and then suddenly I'm having it with two separate firearms [but the rest are fine].

Trying to figure out what has changed.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Got all of the handguns out... I mean er... I lost them all in a boating accident or something.

Only the Sig had rust on it's sights [surface rust] and the Wilson [my edc] had a little on the front sight - since I removed the tiny bit of surface rust that was there and oiled them they've stayed free of rust.

As far as the steel wool removing the finish - I can see no damage to the finish - I was very light and it's the finest steel wool I could find. Once the rust was 'gone' you can't see where it was [still looks black].

I'm trying to find an oil that won't evaporate quickly so that I can give those in storage a liberal coat and not have to worry about them for a while.

I may just slather them in some grease... Although I don't look forward to cleaning it off when I want to shoot them.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Dehumidification is probably the best thing you can do. Also, most corrosion on carbon steel is galvanic. It is an electrochemical process that happens when an anode, a cathode, a metallic pathway, and an electrolyte are present. In this case, the steel of the gun make up the first three. The electrolyte is made up of the moisture in the air or on the surface of the gun mixed with some kind of soluble salts (such as nitrates from gun powder?) to make it conductive. (We're talking on a microscopic scale here.) The oils and finishes work by separating the bare steel from the electrolyte. The dehumidifier works by reducing the moisture and removing the electrolyte.

You might try giving your guns a thorough cleaning with deionized, demineralized, or distilled water and reoiling them and see if that increases the interval between rust recurrence.

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I dumped all my blued and wood guns and slowly converted my collection to all stainless and plastic. What a differance! Couldnt be happier with my decision. So much nicer and dont have to be in a hurry to clean them after a range trip. My wife still has traditional guns and I bought some gun socks for them. They are a silicone impregnated cloth.

WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Corrosion X, Breakfree CLP, and Eezox have all worked well for me. Eezox has the benefit of being dry to the touch but is stinky to use. Corrosion X seems to be least hazardous to human and materials.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    CLP break free on a qtip once a week before i go to bed, takes 5 minutes. Apply to all rust prone areas, throw qtip in trash, allow to sit on bed side table over night, good for another week or so.

Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    I bought a dozen of silica bags off of Midway to throw in my gun cases and safe. I basically pack my guns with them when they go to the range. It has helped tremendously after shooting corrosive ammo in the humid woods and I can't get the cleaning done until a day or two later.

As far as getting the rust off, I've been successful just soaking the problem areas in CLP and scrubbing with a toothbrush. Then after I've been doing kind of the Froglube method and warming up my guns before putting a coating of oil.

Top Bottom