So.. what are you reloading at the moment??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    100 pretty bullets all in a row!

My first "large" batch of 9mm after loading small workup and test batches. All fired great, so now it is time to start cranking out some ammo that I can actually start stocking rather than just shooting right after making it!

Excellent!!!!

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I like your Joe Walsh rreference.

Subconsciously for sure, but I am a huge JW fan, and love that song! As great an album as that was, I hear the same songs over and over again on the radio, but Pretty Maids all in a Row is one of those songs that just makes you stop and listen still.

I keep trying to decipher your avatar... Mark Farner? Looks like him, but I don't think I ever saw him play a Strat.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Subconsciously for sure, but I am a huge JW fan, and love that song! As great an album as that was, I hear the same songs over and over again on the radio, but Pretty Maids all in a Row is one of those songs that just makes you stop and listen still.

I keep trying to decipher your avatar... Mark Farner? Looks like him, but I don't think I ever saw him play a Strat.

Yep, that whole album is a masterpiece, but it's a real treat to hear one of the less-often played ones, namely "Try and Love Again" and "Pretty Maids All in a Row."
    My personal favorite is the closer, "The Last Resort," mournful thought it may be.
    As for the man holding the Strat, that's Dave Gilmour circa 1971.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Yep, that whole album is a masterpiece, but it's a real treat to hear one of the less-often played ones, namely "Try and Love Again" and "Pretty Maids All in a Row."
    My personal favorite is the closer, "The Last Resort," mournful thought it may be.

Joe Walsh is one of the nicest & coolest people you will ever meet. I had the honor of doing some work for him. And did a really cool a ham radio project about 12 years ago with him and Bob Heil, the owner if Heil sound. I'll have to dig out the autographed mic he gave me as a than you gift. There is an article in the September 2004 QST magazine. Page 42. My ugly mug is in a pic on pg 43 and 44.

Here is a blurb about it. Vintage Station QRV at W1AW

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Joe Walsh is one of the nicest & coolest people you will ever meet. I had the honor of doing some work for him. And did a really cool a ham radio project about 12 years ago with him and Bob Heil, the owner if Heil sound. I'll have to dig out the autographed mic he gave me as a than you gift. There is an article in the September 2004 QST magazine. Page 42. My ugly mug is in a pic on pg 43 and 44.

That's awesome.
    I've heard plenty of other folks say that Joe is a regular guy, not at all full of himself and with a great sense of humor.
    Mark Knopfler, Billy Gibbons, Sammy Hagar, and Alice Cooper are four others I've heard are equally cool.
    How strange that Don Henley has a reputation as such an ass.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    He is the kind of guy that when they get to a city to do a gig everyone else in the band rents limo's to get around he wants to rent a pickup truck lol.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield

I agree, the mainstream songs are great in their own right, but when you hear them 3-4X per week, it is time for a change. The Last Resort is a great song, agreed, but not sure that I really have a favorite on the album. It is powerful in context, and "mournful" as you call it. The whole album is a masterpiece from one of the most talented bands ever (like them or not, they are masters).

I have never been a Pink Floyd fan (blaspheme, I know) even though I have been a musician all of my life. I respect their talent (see comment above about The Eagles), but they were always too dark for me. My favorite album believe it or not, was Animals. My son (also a musician, and quite successful at it I might add) things I am nuts. We debate the merits of Pink Floyd all the time!

That is seriously amazing! I have been a Joe Walsh pretty much my entire life, and one of the first songs I covered in a garage band back in the 70's was Rocky Mountain Way, which is simple on the surface, but complex underneath with the great slide guitar playing and singing.

I have heard many interviews with him, and watched a ton of his online videos. He is an amazing man.

Oh yeah. I loaded some 9 mm rounds. (Just to keep the thread on track before we get too far off!!! Oops! Too late!)

autogun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 30, 2016
    NWI
    I'm loading 175 gr 40's so I have something to shoot in the great buys coming up as people trade their 40's for 9's ( this happened around 1985 also but then it was 45's for 9's as the military left the 1911 for the 9mm). Seems like I heard they want to go back to the 45acp.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Still moving the powder charge around on the 50-95 looking for that sweet spot.

I've been doing the same thing with 9mm Largo. I'm finding that my Star Model B and my two Astra 400s have very different tastes. Also, the Astra 400s have very violent and unpleasant recoil with hot ammo. The Star Model B has been more accurate with each load variation so far, so in addition to playing with the powder charge, I'm going to try a slightly larger diameter cast lead bullet for both of the Astra 400s and see if that helps the accuracy - being fixed barrel guns they should group better than what they have been. I have not slugged the bores even though in hindsight I probably should have.

Recipes I hope to test in the next week or so:

Star Model B (with fresh Wolff recoil spring)
    5.3gr Longshot
    122 - 124gr lead conical sized .356"
    CCI 300 primer
    W-W 38 auto brass

Astra 400 and Astra 1921 (early gun, no "400" marking), original springs in both guns
    5.3gr Longshot
    122 - 124 gr lead conical sized .3575"
    CCI 300 primer
    W-W 38 auto brass

Previous efforts were 5.1gr Longshot with the .356" bullet.
    Did not cycle the Model B with 100% reliability, but accuracy was OK.
    Cycled the 400s OK, but accuracy was pretty poor.
    Large fireball on some shots but not others indicating the powder isn't real happy at low pressures. Hoping that bumping up the charge a little will even things out; if not, will try a magnum primer next.

6.0gr Longshot with the .356" bullet was WAY too hot for the Astra 400s (very violent and unpleasant recoil, cases thrown into the next county), worked OK in the Model B but still NOT a good idea (I consider this load to be over maximum and unwise for 9mm Largo, the recoil impulse in the Model B was smooth but felt way too stout). No fireballs with the 6.0gr load in any of the 3 test guns indicates good powder burn, so I'm hopeful that this powder can work well in 9mm Largo. The 6.0gr load was suggested by someone else as a "good load" :rolleyes: and was the first load I did with this powder (glad I only loaded a few rounds just to test function). Research that I conducted beforehand predicted the pressure was supposed to be around 25,000 CUP (velocity of around 1,150 fps) which makes it seem like a reasonable load for 9mm Largo considering that original 9mm Largo has a velocity of around 1,150 fps and that .38 ACP (not Super) ammunition has a SAAMI P-Max of 26,500 CUP. There is not a pressure specification for 9mm Largo so I went with .38 ACP which is well-known to function safely in Astra 400 pistols.

Anyway, this all just illustrates the fact that everything is theoretical until you pull the trigger so you had better think long and hard before doing so.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    It has been a busy couple days for me prepping for loading. Actually probably a normal day for some of ya'll. I managed lean about 1500 pieces of brass through a mix of walnut and corncob in my budget Cabelas tumbler. Needless to say I am happy with the outcome as I had not used walnut up until that point. After that was done, I set up the single stage with the Redding G-RX die and pushed about 700 pieces of 40 cal brass through. Some people may not do this, but it is just one extra precautionary step that I take. During this step I am also able to check my brass for irregularities. Upon completion of that, I had to change my 550b from 45 LPP to 40 SPP which was very easy with the extra toolhead. I'm now ready to load some quantity for my Glocks and then work up a load to shoot through my CZ. Happy Holidays INGO Loaders!

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I hope to roll an .30 cal can of .38s this Christmas Day. New book on CD, fresh coffee and a pile of clean brass!

I loaded 700 rounds of 158 gr .38's a couple weekends ago. They basically filled a .30 cal ammo can.

The next weekend I finished loading about 750 rounds of plinking .308 ammo and now I'm working on stocking up on some 245 gr .300 blk. After that, I'll do some 125 gr .300 blk and then get started on a hood bit of 9mm

Top Bottom