So, what did this winter storm teach me about my preps?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    I have been wanting these two items, but now I promise to have at least one by next year. 1) a generator, probably propane and 2) fireplace insert.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    For me...
    More toilet paper on hand.
    I probably should get a kerosene heater to have on hand.
    Should clean out a spot in the garage to put a generator. It would be harder to get from the barn.
    I started a new get home bag for winter for our other car. Wife and kids may need some supplies if stranded without me.
    This is the first year in a newer to me house. I should probably have some window film to keep down some drafts.
    We are still working on curtains and stuff, those would be good too!
    I want to get some more candles (power and some heat).
    I am thinking more about a Silverfire hunter stove. I have a rocket stove, but not good inside. This one can be vented through a chimney (I believe) Amazon.com: SilverFire Hunter Chimney Stove: Sports & Outdoors
    I have been working on food stores. We are pretty good considering I am new, but more is better.
    Wow, neighbors are not even close to prepared. This is very obvious! Hopefully they can get a clue from some of my spring gardening and other efforts.

What else did you learn?

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    i learned that just my fireplace insert will not heat my house without power to run fans. lost power for six hours monday night, house got down to 55 degrees. had the whole family camped out in front of the fireplace sleeping that night. kids had fun. i was worried. My house is set up for generator hook up. had that done a few years ago. got a plug in outside so i just have to plug the generator in. problem is i dont have a generator. my dad does and he lives ten miles away.
    at least i got the wife wanting to get one now.:):

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I learned that my purchase of a 4WD capable vehicle last summer was a solid investment. (Family thanked me for buying it.)
    I learned that my 4WD vehicle can be trusted to perform in the most adverse conditions.
    I learned that I need to come up with an alternative heating plan when the power goes out.
    Storing my large BOB in the Jeep had us ready to evac within minutes since we lost power just before we lost light.

Proper Preparation Prevents **** Poor Performance.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    SGT-- these are not "the most adverse conditions' and as a Marine, you know that to be true.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The doors (all 5) froze shut on my 4x4 and I broke two handles trying to get in. Had to drive my 2wd Explorer to work but it has all terrain tires and did fine (not much snow in Evansville mind you.)

I want a generator and at least one wood burning appliance before next winter.

My furnace was running a LOT just to keep a modest house at 68* so some more insulation is also on the list.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    *ADDED-

I LEARNED that I need to keep at least one ice scraper in the house that has a plastic pry tool to get into frozen doors instead of pulling on them. And that I should have used some vasoline on the weather stripping to prevent freezing. For some reason the inside of it ices up when it gets below 20*.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    SGT-- these are not "the most adverse conditions' and as a Marine, you know that to be true.

True, was referring to rough weather conditions. Getting your ride stuck and not being able to regain mobility is definitely a detriment to ones safety. Being so cold that it affects the operation of your equipment or your own body is a detriment as well.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    A set of (Carhartt) coveralls is really nice to have. Keep a second scraper on these icy storms so when you break one... I need better tires on my car. I need to invent an E-tool that folds out to a more normal size shovel. I am blessed to have a wife that supports our preparedness efforts, and has a few up her own sleeve. Solar pathway lights make great emergency lights, as long as you get them charged up. Keep your cell phone >50% charge and have a battery pack (solar charged, of course). Keep food stocks at a high enough level so you don't have to do any panic buying like the rest of the sheep did.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    *ADDED-

I LEARNED that I need to keep at least one ice scraper in the house that has a plastic pry tool to get into frozen doors instead of pulling on them. And that I should have used some vasoline on the weather stripping to prevent freezing. For some reason the inside of it ices up when it gets below 20*.

punching the outline of the door (not with your knuckles) will often break the ice up.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yeah, but are those indoor-safe?

I always recommend people use smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors, whether it is normal day to day, or running genny's and makeshift equipment.

As long as they are used for stoves, and not heating a house, and they are in good repair, they should be okay.
    As usual, do not leave unattended.
    Make sure flame is not near anything.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And I recommend the camping stove. More stable, more burners.

There are backpacking stoves. Also useful, but only one burner, and to me they seem more likely to tip.
    My backpacking stove is low to the ground, and the bottle goes to the side. More stable.
    There is one that goes on TOP of the bottle. Higher center of gravity. If you're paying attention, no problem. But why risk the high center of gravity?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yeah, but are those indoor-safe?

To be sure, I'd have to see the instructions.
    But what is necessary to be "indoor-safe"?

Complete combustion, to prevent CO.
    Monitor with a battery powered CO detector.

Propane leaks around bad joints.
    I think that would be a problem even while camping.

Unstable.
    Make sure to get one that won't tip over at the drop of a hat.

Flame.
    If you use it on your stove top, you should already have a flame safe area.
    If not, maybe the garage floor.

If you have another worry that I haven't covered, maybe I can come up with something.

I've been using camping equipment for around 35 or more years.
    I've been working on various sensors, including CO detectors for little over 20 years.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    To be sure, I'd have to see the instructions.
    But what is necessary to be "indoor-safe"?

Complete combustion, to prevent CO.
    Monitor with a battery powered CO detector.

Propane leaks around bad joints.
    I think that would be a problem even while camping.

Unstable.
    Make sure to get one that won't tip over at the drop of a hat.

Flame.
    If you use it on your stove top, you should already have a flame safe area.
    If not, maybe the garage floor.

If you have another worry that I haven't covered, maybe I can come up with something.

I've been using camping equipment for around 35 or more years.
    I've been working on various sensors, including CO detectors for little over 20 years.
    I ask because I already have an outside grill with a burner. But in the event that the actual air temps are sub-zero, I don't want to be trying to cook food outside. We have an open box fireplace, plenty big for a dutch oven or skillet. I've just never done it before.

Top Bottom