So, what do I do if an FFL straight up loses my rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Would also appreciate any recommendations on a new FFL in the Bloomington area. Really want to make the move to dealing with a kitchen table FFL for $15-20/transfer and no "gun shop" BS. I know what I'm looking for and don't need to browse, chat, or be upsold, I just want someone to sign for packages and do a 4473.

Not in Bloomington, but up in Greenwood, U.S. Defense Solutions is my FFL, even I'm up further north in Hamilton county.

They used to host and teach AK building classes at their shop. Give them a call. These guys are top notch.

Last edited:

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    While it's not in Bloomington, it's close enough. Martinsville Guns LLC is fantastic and about as close to a kitchen table FFL as you'll get for an FFL that actually has a store. I've used them for the past 3 years exclusively and have always loved dealing with them.

I like that store.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Wow, what a cluster! I’m glad it finally was resolved and you got your property back. Having been on the opposite side of the counter I could relay some nightmarish stories of things customers have done and put the blame on us. I’m not saying that your situation qualifies as one of those stories by any means but I’ve learned to look at both sides. Definitely check with Allen and he’ll let you know if he can help or not. Very honest guy and an exceptional gunsmiff.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    JM Gunsmithing in Greenwood sorted the front sight tower for an extremely reasonable price. He pointed out that the gas block is also crooked, although this is mostly cosmetic and does not affect usability. The gun now sports a Russian AKM front handguard set, bake grip, and Romy G buttstock. Just waiting on a Magna-Matic sight tool from Midway for final zeroing later this week.

Coming to the end of this project!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    As far as a fix, I'd check with AllenM (Avon/Diamond Collision) , Havlin's ( Brownsburg https://www.indygunsmith.com/ ) , or ZR Tactical (Noblesville I believe). I'd start with Allen first.

Glad you got it worked out!

As far as recommendations, AllenM is great recommendation and absolutely the read deal...and he's a great guy to work with!
    He did some work for me on a 1911 that was second to no one and actually looked better than some of the OEM work I've seen on other pistols!
    I would definitely recommend AllenM for gun smithing work for anyone who's needing work done!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    JM Gunsmithing in Greenwood sorted the front sight tower for an extremely reasonable price. He pointed out that the gas block is also crooked, although this is mostly cosmetic and does not affect usability. The gun now sports a Russian AKM front handguard set, bake grip, and Romy G buttstock. Just waiting on a Magna-Matic sight tool from Midway for final zeroing later this week.

Coming to the end of this project!

Cool. Glad you got it sorted. Need some pics.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    IMG-20200514-111537231.jpg

Best and final group of the day at 50. Good lord, I hate zeroing on the AK. MOA-based click adjust is far superior to "okay maybe 1/16th of a turn on the tool this time".

IMG-20200514-111637953-HDR.jpg

In the dirt where trash belongs.

IMG-20200514-111605105-HDR.jpg

At least the wood is cool.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Didn't know they made Tech Sights for AKs, that's pretty neat! Nice wood btw.

I'm just griping for fun. About 100 yards is the furthest shot we ever take at 2-gun and most people don't make those. It's what it is and performs basically to my expectations. Also, Tula soft point is probably not an accuracy monster of a cartridge to begin with. JM went ever so slightly too far with the straightening, but the post is quite near to center and has plenty of adjustment on both sides. :yesway:

Ran 100%. Goal of the project was to put together a reasonable imitation of an "off the rack" combloc AKM like I've been watching in Iraq/Syria/etc combat footage since forever, and I think this rifle will fill that role nicely. I'm planning to run it at the next match with one of those ****ty shoulder slung mag purses as part of my "flugaloo conscript" theme. :rockwoot:I'd love to run it alongside my P-83 or M-57 but I don't have enough mags yet.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My front sight was canted pretty badly at first too. Clay (from INGO) drilled, straightened and pinned it an one of the AK build parties they used to have here. Vitamink installed my Red Star adjustable trigger and it's sweet now. Had really bad trigger slap originally. Like "hurt to shoot it" bad. Installation was challenging to say the least. I think he still wants to kick me in the nuts if he ever sees me again. :):

Top Bottom