• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TRLREDY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've got a 1st generation one in .40 and can't say enough good about it. Fit and finish are great and also quite accurate. Don't have any experience with the newer generation ones. Surely someone with one can give you the low down on them soon enough.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    A little flippier than some guns in 9mm, but it shoots well and feels good in the hand. A lot of people are split between the AS trigger and the QA. I prefer the AS myself, but those can be harder to find.

61482zane

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    BFE
    Does any one have one for sale?:dunno: and what is the exact name of the smith verson of the gun. I cant find a used one any where at a good price.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I highly recommend taking a look at the Smith & Wesson M&P 9. This is the gun that is winning more new LE agency "issued sidearm" contracts than any other brand.

I finally got my son to look at the M&P line. The result was that he sold off one Glock G22 to fund the M&P 9 Pro Series, and is about to sell his Glock G33 to fund the purchase of a M&P 9c.

Here is a link to what the famous shooter/trainer Massad Ayoob had to say abut the M&P the first time he shot it... Long story short, he beat his all time best IDPA scores the first time behind the trigger.

GUNS Magazine August 2008 Feature

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My nephew is now the owner of my P99. It is a very well made an accurate shooter. It should be in eveyones collection of fine firearms MHO.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have an early all German made Walther P99 and it is great. It is a black frame with a stainless (coated?) slide. I don't want to break any rules by listing it here but it will be for sale as soon as I post it up. I've mentioned it to a few folks on here in PMs but nothing official. They are great guns and very versatile. The S&W version was also called the P99 was it not?

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I have an early all German made Walther P99 and it is great. It is a black frame with a stainless (coated?) slide. I don't want to break any rules by listing it here but it will be for sale as soon as I post it up. I've mentioned it to a few folks on here in PMs but nothing official. They are great guns and very versatile. The S&W version was also called the P99 was it not?

The S&W version was called the SW99.

61482zane

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    BFE
    sw99 cool is there a big price diff in the to and can u get a silver slide on a black frame any easer than u can a walther cause I have had a hard time finding a good priced walther with the silver slide.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    S&W 99?

I think the originals were the S&W mod. 99, were they not? Half the gun was S&W and the other Walther. A few years later it became the P99... all Walther. When I finally bought a decent carry gun I was looking closely at the 99 but decided on an XD sub compact in .40. I liked the 99 but the XD had tactile loaded chamber and cocking indicators. (Glocks don't fit my hand well) Also, the XD was getting (and still is) great reviews.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I believe that the Walther P99 is one of the most under-appreciated and underrated pistols on the market today.

Their ergonomics are simply outstanding; they were offering interchangeable backstraps before that was a gleam in anyone else's eye!

Fit & finish are impeccable.

Accuracy is beyond my capabilities.

Decocker is quite handy and easy to manipulate (At least for me).

The SW99 is a CLOSE approximation of the P99...but not entirely identical. The frames ARE identical, it's the "fire control" stuff that's different. I've not fired a SW99, but I've read that you can definitely tell a difference between the two.

The "AS", or Anti-Stress trigger should be featured on the show Modern Marvels. There are several articles out there on the 'net that explain much better, but here's a Q&D synopsis: With a round in the chamber, you can carry the pistol in any one of THREE ways (As far as trigger goes).

A) can carry with the striker fully de-cocked, in which the first trigger pull will be "long and heavy". Each subsequent shot will be "short and light". This is kind of like your traditional DA/SA pistol.

B) can carry with the striker cocked and with the trigger fully forward. In this manner, the amount of force used to move the trigger rearward is a fraction of what it is when the striker is cocked (you're not having to cock the striker with the trigger). About halfway through the travel, you'll come to a slight "hitch" in the trigger, pressing fruther will discharge the weapon. Subsequent shots will reset the trigger to this "hitch" point.

C) can carry with the striker cocked and the trigger at this halfway "hitch" point. In this method, which isn't really encouraged (you must depress trigger on a live round to get to this point) means that you have a VERY short trigger pull to discharge the weapon. Think "Glock-like". Each subsequent shot resets the trigger to this point.

But they're not without their "faults":

They're expensive. Mags are expensive and not easy to find (interchangeable with SW99, so that helps. a little.)

Not the easiest to find holsters for.

Earlier production weapons, like my 1st Gen 9mm, don't have a standard Pitcatinny rail, but a Weaver design. This can make finding lasers/lights that fit a little interesting.

Tend to be a little more "flippy", as someone has said, than other polymer-framed pistols like Steyr and Glock

All in all, I'd recommend a Walther P99 to just about anyone...with my preference going towards the older ones with the "ski hump" in the trigger guard. They look the coolest. hehe

Hope this helps.

-J-

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I believe that the Walther P99 is one of the most under-appreciated and underrated pistols on the market today.

Their ergonomics are simply outstanding; they were offering interchangeable backstraps before that was a gleam in anyone else's eye!

Fit & finish are impeccable.

Accuracy is beyond my capabilities.

Decocker is quite handy and easy to manipulate (At least for me).

The SW99 is a CLOSE approximation of the P99...but not entirely identical. The frames ARE identical, it's the "fire control" stuff that's different. I've not fired a SW99, but I've read that you can definitely tell a difference between the two.

The "AS", or Anti-Stress trigger should be featured on the show Modern Marvels. There are several articles out there on the 'net that explain much better, but here's a Q&D synopsis: With a round in the chamber, you can carry the pistol in any one of THREE ways (As far as trigger goes).

A) can carry with the striker fully de-cocked, in which the first trigger pull will be "long and heavy". Each subsequent shot will be "short and light". This is kind of like your traditional DA/SA pistol.

B) can carry with the striker cocked and with the trigger fully forward. In this manner, the amount of force used to move the trigger rearward is a fraction of what it is when the striker is cocked (you're not having to cock the striker with the trigger). About halfway through the travel, you'll come to a slight "hitch" in the trigger, pressing fruther will discharge the weapon. Subsequent shots will reset the trigger to this "hitch" point.

C) can carry with the striker cocked and the trigger at this halfway "hitch" point. In this method, which isn't really encouraged (you must depress trigger on a live round to get to this point) means that you have a VERY short trigger pull to discharge the weapon. Think "Glock-like". Each subsequent shot resets the trigger to this point.

But they're not without their "faults":

They're expensive. Mags are expensive and not easy to find (interchangeable with SW99, so that helps. a little.)

Not the easiest to find holsters for.

Earlier production weapons, like my 1st Gen 9mm, don't have a standard Pitcatinny rail, but a Weaver design. This can make finding lasers/lights that fit a little interesting.

Tend to be a little more "flippy", as someone has said, than other polymer-framed pistols like Steyr and Glock

All in all, I'd recommend a Walther P99 to just about anyone...with my preference going towards the older ones with the "ski hump" in the trigger guard. They look the coolest. hehe

Hope this helps.

-J-

Agreed. Thank you. I think I'll keep mine now. You won't believe the test target that came with it! I better pick up a couple more 16rd mags at the show though.

Top Bottom