So, You've had a negligent/accidental discharge....now what?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    There is no legal duty to report it. City ordinance may require (have not seen one but one may be out there).

Given that we just had an INGO produce a video showing how bullets whip through houses, would it not be a good idea to check?

Perhaps reduce your civil liability by calling the police?

I will note if you have a sand barrel and are using it, you know where the bullet lands instead of four houses down the block.

Ken Campbell tells of a Marine student at Gunsite who was "dry practicing" at a noted hotel in Paulden. He fired his M14 through the bathroom mirror. IIRC Ken told me they had to check 11 hotel rooms. No one was injured.

another possible situation - youre in a parking lot or structure and are exiting (or entering) your vehicle and somehow your firearm falls out of your holster and discharges

Call the police, wait for them with your hands away from your body and your LTCH ready. Pray that the bullet did not hit anyone.

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Live out in the Country in an older 1 story farm house. If nobody gets hurt, I guess, NOTHING! ( 'Cept maybe CUSS a lot! )

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    So I recently watched an iraqveteran8888 video where they talk about the neg/accidental discharges they respectively have had over the years. I have also read many threads on this forum and others with people talking about their own AD/NDs. I have not read anyone talking about the aftermath of an unfortunate accident so here goes.

so heres a possible scenario - you're at home or work, you're alone and you're cleaning (or playing with) your firearm. you accidentally pop a round off into the floor or wall. What do you do now?
    1) do you call the police and report the incident?
    2) do you do nothing and wait to see if you hear sirens?
    3) do you go bat crap crazy try to hide the evidence and hide?
    4) in this scenario what else might YOU do?

another possible situation - youre in a parking lot or structure and are exiting (or entering) your vehicle and somehow your firearm falls out of your holster and discharges

same questions as the above scenario...

Firstly, I wouldn't never post the event on this forum as many have.
    Second, I would never post here or reveal to anyone the steps I would take.

I can see no benefit to me or my situation in doing any of the above unless it was just to get some attention. No offense intended to those who do or have done any of the above. Those actions are not something I would do.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    There is no need or requirement to report an accidental discharge. If it happens go on with your like and repair any damages you've done. I had to repair the floor and refrigerator just a couple of years ago.
    If you do damage to another's property you should take responsibility and if you damage another person you will be held responsible but this is normally not a criminal matter just go on about your business.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    If you have to goto the ER they will call the police for you...

Only if they feel you knowingly put someone in harms way or were likely to do it again. I had an acquaintance ND into my hand. I went to the ER. Cops were never called. Shortly there after, karma caught up to him and he fell face first into a door... then down a flight of stairs.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    1. Don't play with your firearm
    2.When doing "dry fire practice" or any other practice, do it in a safe location.
    3. If you load the gun then leave it loaded and quit touching it, move it only from your holster to the nightstand or wherever you may keep it at night.
    4. If you carry with a decent holster then you shouldn't have to worry about it falling out.

all of the reasons for an AD/ND are your fault alone, pay attention and get your head out of your ass and think about the effects that not being safe and paying attention could have.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I had one with a rifle. Not inside but outside on my 'range'. Thought I'd sent all the rounds downrange. Dropped the mag, pull trigger to hammer down. BOOM. 4 rules were obeyed, so I sent a round into the target. Surprised the hell out of me, but happy I go through that rhythm each time.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    1. Don't play with your firearm
    2.When doing "dry fire practice" or any other practice, do it in a safe location.
    3. If you load the gun then leave it loaded and quit touching it, move it only from your holster to the nightstand or wherever you may keep it at night.
    4. If you carry with a decent holster then you shouldn't have to worry about it falling out.

all of the reasons for an AD/ND are your fault alone, pay attention and get your head out of your ass and think about the effects that not being safe and paying attention could have.

:nono:

Most AD's are usually not the user's fault unless you didn't take care of your gun or tried to make some gunsmithing yourself and made the gun dangerous.
    You can have a brand new gun and have it go off if there is a decoker failure for example.That happened with some models.
    If you had your finger away from the trigger and that's an actual AD (and not a ND) then it's not your fault. :dunno:

:twocents:

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    :nono:

Most AD's are usually not the user's fault unless you didn't take care of your gun or tried to make some gunsmithing yourself and made the gun dangerous.
    You can have a brand new gun and have it go off if there is a decoker failure for example.That happened with some models.
    If you had your finger away from the trigger and that's an actual AD (and not a ND) then it's not your fault. :dunno:

:twocents:
    I should clarify a bit, if it is truly a firearms malfunction then I understand and no one is at fault. I do hear a lot of people classify their ND as an AD to save themselves embarassment or avoid the fact they didn't want to take personal responsibility for their mistake.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I should clarify a bit, if it is truly a firearms malfunction then I understand and no one is at fault. I do hear a lot of people classify their ND as an AD to save themselves embarassment or avoid the fact they didn't want to take personal responsibility for their mistake.

Yeah, that's true.True ADs are quite rare I guess but they do happen.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    In chronological order...

Thank the Lord it is 2:00 in the a.m. and the parents are out of town for the weekend. Run upstairs into the walk-in closet and try to find the exit hole in the floor (never did). Thank the Lord (again) for 24 hr. Wal-marts. Go buy spackle and flat white ceiling paint. Patch hole, let dry a while then paint entire sunroom ceiling. Next morning open up all the windows, though it is July, and air out paint smell for 48 hours. Never EVER mention it to the parents though it has been 25 years almost.

Fredo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    In A Yellow Submarin
    Just follow the rules and no one gets hurt.:

1.) Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

2.) Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

3.) Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
    These are the 3 NRA basic safety rules.

The NSSF has a list of 10 rules they have been publishing for years.

1. Always Keep The Muzzle Pointed In A Safe Direction
    2. Firearms Should Be Unloaded When Not Actually In Use
    3. Don't Rely On Your Gun's "Safety"
    4. Be Sure Of Your Target And What's Beyond It
    5. Use Correct Ammunition
    6. If Your Gun Fails To Fire When The Trigger Is Pulled, Handle With Care!
    7. Always Wear Eye And Ear Protection When Shooting
    8. Be Sure The Barrel Is Clear Of Obstructions Before Shooting
    9. Don't Alter Or Modify Your Gun, And Have Guns Serviced Regularly
    10. Learn The Mechanical And Handling Characteristics Of The Firearm You Are Using

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just follow the rules and no one gets hurt.:

1.) Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

2.) Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

3.) Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
    These are the 3 NRA basic safety rules.

The NSSF has a list of 10 rules they have been publishing for years.

1. Always Keep The Muzzle Pointed In A Safe Direction
    2. Firearms Should Be Unloaded When Not Actually In Use
    3. Don't Rely On Your Gun's "Safety"
    4. Be Sure Of Your Target And What's Beyond It
    5. Use Correct Ammunition
    6. If Your Gun Fails To Fire When The Trigger Is Pulled, Handle With Care!
    7. Always Wear Eye And Ear Protection When Shooting
    8. Be Sure The Barrel Is Clear Of Obstructions Before Shooting
    9. Don't Alter Or Modify Your Gun, And Have Guns Serviced Regularly
    10. Learn The Mechanical And Handling Characteristics Of The Firearm You Are Using
    Try telling that to an AR-15 "enthusiast"! :):

11-B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    neg/"accidental discharges" they respectively have had over the years. you're at home or work, you're alone and you're cleaning ("or playing with") your firearm. you "accidentally" pop a round off

There is no such thing as an ACCIDENTAL discharge they are all out of NEGLIGENCE because if i load a gun and never touch it it will never go off it requires my interaction to fire or my NEGLIGENCE.....and who the hell is playing with a gun they are not toys :twocents:

vwfred69

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    noblesville
    One of my friends had one in Ky. He was handed the rifle with no mag he pulled the bolt then dropped the trigger and it went off and into the next apartment. He went next door to make sure everyone was ok and they didn't even realize what happened until he told them. they called the police and he was charged with a discharge in city limits which kept him out of the marines.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    There is no such thing as an ACCIDENTAL discharge they are all out of NEGLIGENCE because if i load a gun and never touch it it will never go off it requires my interaction to fire or my NEGLIGENCE...

So, um, have I told you about an 870 at Shootrite?:D

Top Bottom