So, You've had a negligent/accidental discharge....now what?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I bought a used gun from a fellow that had the magazine disconnect feature disabled. Nothing was said when I bought it about the diconnect unhooked but I did notice a funny looking part in the pistol box when I got home. Luckily I figured it out without anything going bang.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    In my case:

Round exited the house.

I called the local constabulary.

Lost lots of sleep over the "what iffs".

I don't know if I made the police blotter in the paper or not.

-J-

m4lover

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Me and my grandpa were getting ready to go to the range one day when his 1911 accidently went off... we just put some drywall patch on it and thanked God Grandma wasn't home

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    There is no such thing as an ACCIDENTAL discharge they are all out of NEGLIGENCE because if i load a gun and never touch it it will never go off it requires my interaction to fire or my NEGLIGENCE.....and who the hell is playing with a gun they are not toys :twocents:

Bull CRAP! I am 72, been around, owned, shot and collected firearms most of my life. I have seen one new 45 acp handgun go full auto and fly into pieces! I have seen semi-auto firearms get dirty on the range and the firing pin stuck causing repeat or auto fire.

In the 1950's saw one shotgun fall over (my cousin's) when leaned against a fence post (post moved when we climbed the fence) and it fired - it was a very old firearm, new ones would not fail in that mode.

But there are many mechanical defects that can occur that are beyond the control of a person even if the person follows all the rules. IF they are following all the rules the AD does not normally cause harm to anyone.

As an aside, even automobiles can cause their own accidents. My son had a vintage Camaro show car. He had started it up in his driveway, left it to warm up and went into the house, a couple of minutes later the car jumped into gear and rolled into a neighbors house. It was professionally inspected to determine the cause and it was a mechanical defect.

11-B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Bull CRAP! I am 72, been around, owned, shot and collected firearms most of my life. I have seen one new 45 acp handgun go full auto and fly into pieces! I have seen semi-auto firearms get dirty on the range and the firing pin stuck causing repeat or auto fire.

In the 1950's saw one shotgun fall over (my cousin's) when leaned against a fence post (post moved when we climbed the fence) and it fired - it was a very old firearm, new ones would not fail in that mode.

But there are many mechanical defects that can occur that are beyond the control of a person even if the person follows all the rules. IF they are following all the rules the AD does not normally cause harm to anyone.

As an aside, even automobiles can cause their own accidents. My son had a vintage Camaro show car. He had started it up in his driveway, left it to warm up and went into the house, a couple of minutes later the car jumped into gear and rolled into a neighbors house. It was professionally inspected to determine the cause and it was a mechanical defect.

all your talking about is old crap and guns from the 50's

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town

A gun goes full auto while being pointed downrange? Accidental, but only because the 4 rules were being followed.

A loaded shotgun, left unattended, fell over and discharged? Negligent.

Unattended automobile left running in driveway? Negligent.

2 of 3 were negligent, regardless of the mechanical cause or how old you are.

11-B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I have seen one new 45 acp handgun go full auto and fly into pieces! I have seen semi-auto firearms get dirty on the range and the firing pin stuck causing repeat or auto fire.

that is NEGLIGENCE keep your weapons clean and properly maintain them

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thunder Ranch's Triad (2 days each of rifle, pistol, shotgun) at Shootrite in Langston, Alabama (Jenny). I am down behind cover shooting off side (left for me) one hand drills.

Shotgun--Scattergun Technologies, FBI Model, Rem 870 12 ga.
    Ammunition--Remington #00 buckshot

With left hand I load one round with right hand behind back. I drop in round and close action, weapons discharges clipping side of cover and going down range into mountain in Alabama (Jenny).

Witnesses (partner doing safety officer duty) confirm that safety on and nothing touched the trigger when weapon discharges.

Stuff happens. I agree that 98% or more of "accidents" are actually better classified as negligence. HOWEVER, we as gun owners need to understand that this stuff (weapons malfunctions especially with 870s, 1911s, ARs inter alia) does happen. That way we are prepared with sand barrels or mountains as backstops.:D Rule #4 and all.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I was getting ready for a New Years Eve shift on the PD. I was checking my ankle gun. I sent a round into the bedroom wall and it impacted the tree outside. Kinda shook me up. And the wife and kids too. I learned to count the rounds on the bed and the empty holes in the cylinder before dry firing.

My dog slunk away everytime I had a gun in my hand after that. I think the noise hurt his ears. I know it hurt mine.....Smart dog.

If you are around guns, either you have had a NG or you are going to.

Notify someone of my stupidity? I don't think so. My wife still reminds me of that night. I don't need anymore than that.

John Titor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Try telling that to an AR-15 "enthusiast"! :):

The NRA and it's followers are allowed to practice what ever they like .

In my opinion they set the stage for Negligent discharges and do not deal with handling for their main intended purpose .
    To be used in a gunfight .

Jeff Cooper

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
    RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
    RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
    RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

safetyrules

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    If no one is injured I forget about it and never post about in on INGO!

Um, isn't it in the INGO rules that you MUST post about your ND as soon as it happens and you verify that nothing, other than your pride, is too damaged?

Not at all. I follow Kirk's directive to "Stop touching it!", so I've never had one. However, everyone is only one ND away from their first ND.

That's not true. Some people are 3 and 4 away. :):

Personally, fix what needs to be fixed, make sure no one is injured, and post on INGO to remind people that stuff happens and that we all need to be careful.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Thankfully, my only NDs were on the range. But I know someone who had one in his basement. 9mm round penetrated one card table and two 1/2" sheets of plywood before becoming lodged in the third. No harm, no foul, no cops. Even property damage isn't worth a call to LE IMO, assuming the responsible party owns up to the damage and an agreement can be made for repair/replacement.

I thought all GSW required a call to LE from hospital staff these days.

What about if you aren't on the bottom or top floor? Apartment dwellers should have a sand bucket, but they never do. When I was on the street, I'd say I got dispatched to a shot through apartments once a year on average. Luckily, only once did the ND hit someone.
    1 per year? Hardly worth writing home to mom about. Curious how many of those were, um, showing off their new piece.

that is NEGLIGENCE keep your weapons clean and properly maintain them
    He said it got dirty at the range. I took that to mean fouled from usage, not dropped in the dirty and stomped on just for good measure. Are you trying to say that it's negligent if he doesn't clean it after every shot just to keep it clean?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom