• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should Sobriety Checkpoints be commonplace?

• Total voters

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    If you're for "anything", how about random searches of your house?
    How about someone like Bloomberg making the decision of what's dangerous?
    Are you only willing to give up Other People's Rights?

I feel peoples losses but the cries for safety after a tragic event rings completely hollow.

Like Gabrielle Giffords clamoring for more gun control because she got shot and other many others were murdered.

Sorry for your loss / suffering but it in no way justifies violating the Constitution.

There is no difference between those in MADD and those in the Brady campaign. Emotion over logic. Fear over the Constitution.

It's an irrational and dangerous way to live life.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My daughter was hit by a drunk driver in South Bend. The guy was at the bar drinking all day before he got in his car. He was so drunk that he thought the gas pedal was the brake pedal. He slammed into her leaving her with possible permanent injuries. Im for what ever it take to get them off the road

I do understand how you feel sir. I really do.
    Unfortunately, as stated elsewhere in this thread, the moron that did this will never, ever be effected by any law or threat of punishment by said law. I have lived a long time and seen how folks care only for themselves and are sorry only when they are held before the man. If they skate then any repentant feelings are soon forgotten and it is party on Garth. Not all folks but enough that we all suffer the consequences of their stupidity. The man that did this to your family should have been cut off by the bartender or owner but he was tipping well and buying rounds I am sure. Base greed and lack of caring for what happens are the root cause here.
    Of course if cut off he would have rolled elsewhere. How could a law have stopped this. It is base human selflessness. You can not fix or change that.
    Again, I am sorry for your pain.

-CM-

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I do understand how you feel sir. I really do.
    Unfortunately, as stated elsewhere in this thread, the moron that did this will never, ever be effected by any law or threat of punishment by said law. I have lived a long time and seen how folks care only for themselves and are sorry only when they are held before the man. If they skate then any repentant feelings are soon forgotten and it is party on Garth. Not all folks but enough that we all suffer the consequences of their stupidity. The man that did this to your family should have been cut off by the bartender or owner but he was tipping well and buying rounds I am sure. Base greed and lack of caring for what happens are the root cause here.
    Of course if cut off he would have rolled elsewhere. How could a law have stopped this. It is base human selflessness. You can not fix or change that.
    Again, I am sorry for your pain.

-CM-

Don't make this the servers fault for the person drinking, that would be like me getting liquored up and driving and blaming my local liquor store

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Don't make this the servers fault for the person drinking, that would be like me getting liquored up and driving and blaming my local liquor store

Not my intent at all. Just saying it is a combination of things. I have seen waitresses and bar tenders come on at a shift change and someone has been there all day. They try and get them a cab. Some patrons will and most get mean. Once mean these folks would get LEO involved. Just saying....many things fall into this pot.

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    I didn't read all the pages, but I will tell you there are very strict rules for checkpoints. One is that signage must be present forward of the checkpoint that warn the checkpoint is ahead, and there must be turn offs between the sign and the checkpoint. You cannot be forced to go through the checkpoint, in other words.

They do catch drunks, though. It never failed to amaze me how someone who HAD to know they were going to reek of alcohol and be over the limit could drive past two huge orange signs, not turn off and bypass the checkpoint, then wonder how they got caught. I worked them a few times for overtime when I was a rookie, but found them pretty boring and quickly found it was much more interesting to sign up for mobile DUI enforcement and troll Broad Ripple.

They are about revenue in one sense. That's federal money is used to fund most of them. Not in the sense of writing tickets. Its cheaper and easier just to pull people over if you want to write tickets. I used to run radar in a school zone for an hour each day when the kids were getting out of school. I could write 4 in that hour only stopping cars going 15+ over, and the limiting factor wasn't speeders, it was how long it took to handwrite the tickets.

Good information there, and as well at trolling Broad Ripple. Being a LEO must be an interesting job. I couldn't do it as I think I'd really dislike the general public even more. :D

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I feel peoples losses but the cries for safety after a tragic event rings completely hollow.

Like Gabrielle Giffords clamoring for more gun control because she got shot and other many others were murdered.

Sorry for your loss / suffering but it in no way justifies violating the Constitution.

There is no difference between those in MADD and those in the Brady campaign. Emotion over logic. Fear over the Constitution.

It's an irrational and dangerous way to live life.

That is what I thought of too. There is an increasing tendency in our society to lend more weight to victims than logic. In a debate it is not what is right and wrong that matters to some people, but who has been injured more.

They trot out Giffords and noone has the guts to tell her that we are sorry that she got shot, but she's still wrong and needs to stop hurting our country.

Sheepdog2305

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you haven't been drinking then you'll be on your way, if you have then you had it coming. IMO, It's a public service and if it keeps one more person alive then it's worth it. Unless that person is an Obama voter....OOOOOOO:D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If you haven't been drinking then you'll be on your way,

Well, no, not really. It is all kinds of hassle.

Like I showed upthread on the Lafayette checkpoint Friday night, the cops don't get many OWIs on them, but they get many more other offenses.

It is an outrage that checkpoints are magically constitutional for drunk driving, but illegal for general crime and drugs. Those darn Four Amendment footnotes that the demigods in black keep finding.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If only the General Assembly would require police checkpoints where Indiana Supreme Court Justices live! Checkpoints would be unconstitutional overnight!

There is a reason the checkpoints are always carefully designed to be out of their neighborhoods.

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I remember pre-2000 when they would setup checkpoints outside of Deer Creek. Once the concert got out, you'd drive a few miles back to 37 and be pulled into a church parking lot for inspection. They had another one setup out in the country inside a poll barn.

Like shootin' fish in a barrel. I expect they'll be out in force this year.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    If you haven't been drinking then you'll be on your way, if you have then you had it coming. IMO, It's a public service and if it keeps one more person alive then it's worth it. Unless that person is an Obama voter....OOOOOOO:D

Same logic as increasing gun control because of Sandy Hook.

Sheepdog2305

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Not in my opinion sir. I have lost a family member to a drunk driver so my opinion is also biased. Checkpoints are random and only effect the drunk drivers. Driving is also a privilage not a right.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Lafayette, IN

:coffee:

Checkpoint nets arrests, but not for drinking and driving | WLFI - Lafayette, Indiana

checkpoint_20130308230243_640_480.JPG

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Checkpoints are random and only effect the drunk drivers. Driving is also a privilage not a right.
    Untrue, no matter how much you try to say it isn't. These checkpoints seldom gig drunk drivers. They catch far more people for equipment infractions and the like than they ever do drunks. The stats just don't back you up. And, even though it is not enumerated, (other than in the 9th Amendment) it is indeed a Right to be able to travel freely. Just because the state has chosen to license this Right and deny it to many doesn't mean it's any less a Right.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Not in my opinion sir. I have lost a family member to a drunk driver so my opinion is also biased. Checkpoints are random and only effect the drunk drivers. Driving is also a privilage not a right.

According to Justice Louis Brandeis, the Fourth Amendment can be summarized as the right to be left alone--as in barring sufficient cause to justify a stop, leave me the hell alone. The Feinstein/Schumer/Bloomberg school of safety through unlimited government doesn't go over very well with those who understand the concepts of liberty and limited government.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I'm not against locking up drunk drivers but what's next gun check checkpoints? We need less government intrusion. on all levels from small pd's to our big brothers in the higher up postions. America land of the free, I don't think so!

Sheepdog2305

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I work checkpoints every now and then and yes, they are only after DUI's. Could care less about any other infractions at all. In fact, we are told to let everything else go. In my town anyway, maybe yours is different. I know the stats because I work them. There must be a bunch of sovereign citizen nutjobs in here. If it's illegal then why are they still going on and holding up in court?

Top Bottom