• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redacted

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Westville
    My EDC is a SOG Flash II and I like it but I'm not in love it. For the price it's a pretty decent knife. I might purchase more of SOG's products in the future. Does anyone else carry a SOG or has owned a few of their knives? And what is your input?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    they use to be a lot better. and imo there are much better folders out there. Kershaw cryo, leek, skyline, ect ect for the money and a better company. the only sog product I care for anymore is their powerlock multitool. spyderco is another company you can find solid folder for cheap prices and benchmandes too. obviously your not getting the American made products but they do stand behind them.

what is your budget and wants for length, locking mechanism ect and we can probably be even more helpful!

Redacted

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Westville
    Well my budget should stay around $60 for a folder. I want spring assist. Blade length around 3 1/2" - 4" Not too bulky. Would prefer American made. I like the idea of my things being made by fat, sweaty, overpaid American fingers.

PMPORTER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have carried the Flash 2 (to big and bulky for my taste), the Flash 1 is awesome, but a bit small and the Mini Aegis is just right for me. I think SOG makes a pretty good lightweight knife for the money, but I can not stand the safety on the Flash series. Just my 2 cents

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I EDC'd a SOGzilla for a few years, and still do occasionally. It was CHEAP! $24 or so at Bass Pro. It required numerous resharpenings, but I put it through some pretty rough use, too. It held it's finish on the blade and handle very well, never a speck of visible wear. I also have a Seal pup and mini pentagon that I really like.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    It was a little more than $60, but one of my favorite SOG's is a Vulcan. Has a San Mai blade (not sure if that is a good thing or not, knife steel isn't my forte), and opens and closes like it pivots on a ball bearing.

Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    I'm a welder so my sog is always being used not the way it was intended. I use it for everything. If I get 6 months out of a knife I'm happy. Of course those are all crappy cheap knives. So I can't bring myself to spend more money on a knife I don't treat well. I picked up this sog about 2 years ago and it is still going strong. I'm sure there are better knives. But I can't argue with what this thing has gone thru. If this one ever breaks I will replace it with the same thing.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    For $60 you absolutely cannot beat a Keshaw Blur IMO. I have one and I would honestly say it is not too far off from my $100 benchmade

But if you dont mind spending a little more money you cannot go wrong with a Benchmade.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    It your willing to break the 100 dollar mark IMO your best option is the zero tolerance 0350. It should be right at 100 dollars or so. It's assisted open. Right size but just plain beefier. On top of that it comes with zt's amazing warranty. It's absolutely one of the best bang for your buck in the knife world.

However the the kershaw blur as I mentioned is a great knife and serve you well.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Get something from KAI (the company that ownes Kershaw AND Zero Tolerance) if you're looking for sub $60.

Kershaw makes a lot of American made knives. Just check out their site, and you can see what ones are USA made, and which are not. The Blur is USA made, and is a great choice in your price range as mentioned above (in fact, I think it's probably your best choice at your price). They've got some good steels to choose from too. Some limited editions of Elmax, S30v, and D2. And they've also got D2/14c28n composites as well as strait 14c28n, which I don't think you can beat for the price. Most other brands, you're just going to get Aus8 or the like in the sub $75 knives.

Best part is KAI's customer service. They're great. Just do a bit of research on google, and you'll hear nothing but praise for them. If you ever break a bolt, pocket clip, torsion bar, scale, etc... they'll just send you a replacement one. If you snap your blade because you beat on it too hard, they'll replace it for cheap, and you won't have to buy a whole new knife.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    SOG makes decent functional fixed knives and great multi-tools. For folders, I prefer Kershaw and Benchmade (not in that order). I've carried a Kershaw Blackout for years and works great. The assisted opening is nice. Current Amazon pricing is under $60 . LINK

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    I have a Vulcan I used to edc. Still rotate it into my weekly carry. Can be found on ebay for about your price range.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    You could probably do better than Sog, but you can also do much worse. Bang for buck, they make a decent blade. But as the consensus has already said, Kershaw is hard to beat. The Blur is a great knife. Personally, I really prefer the non tanto, plain edged ones though simply because they are much easier to maintain and I'm lazy.

It doesn't meet hardly any of your criteria you're looking for so take this with a grain of salt, but the best knife for around $60 IMO would be a Spyderco Delica. Zero frills, but a real performer for the price and a very iconic knife.

Top Bottom