• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I may stop shooting altogether if component prices don't come down but for now I am okay.

I consolidated calibers a long time ago and other than .35 Rem, ammo is not out of this world expensive. And as often as I shoot my .35, what I have will last the rest of my life.
    "Once fired" brass for .470 nitro express was at least $5. EACH for years. Hornady decided to make it, each piece is is only $5, but it is new, never saw any in stock. The bullets are over $3 each. Add 100 or so grains of powder.

The guy I sold my .340 Weatherby to does not sweat ammo price. $120 a box of 20, if you can even find it in stock. He shoots one shot before he goes hunting, one shot to get an elk, then puts it away until next year.

I like shooting way too much to afford calibers like that, and I never was able to go elk hunting.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have to say this thread took off better than I thought it would with responses. A day has passed and I made all of you wonder what I could possibly be selling...or not...it is my Marlin 336 chambered in .35 Remington (gregkl mentioned it earlier). I stumbled upon this gun at an estate auction in 2019. It wasn't the gun I went there for but I was happy with my bid and taking it home. Wasn't my first lever gun and won't be my last (pending the new Marlin 1895 SBL). Lost Californian mentioned the local gun shop for reloading and I believe I know which shop you're talking about. A coworker mentioned this to me a while back (before the whole pandemic started) and I hadn't even thought about that. I'm going to Texas soon for a hog hunt and the 336 was one of my options that I want to take. I'm not taking an AR; I want to use either a lever or bolt gun. The bolt gun I'm pondering to take is my Remington 722 chambered in .300 Savage and yes, I have plenty of ammo for it.
    If you reload, keep in mind you can load some soft shooting 158 gr .357 bullets and have some fun at the range. I haven't done it yet, but one day I might.

Mine was my dad's and when I starting hunting whitetail he let me use it so it has sentimental value to me for sure. It feels familiar and right in my hands though I probably haven't shot more than a box out of it. It was used strictly for hunting. A few rounds before deer season to check zero and then mostly sitting in Michigan woods waiting.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    "Once fired" brass for .470 nitro express was at least $5. EACH for years. Hornady decided to make it, each piece is is only $5, but it is new, never saw any in stock. The bullets are over $3 each. Add 100 or so grains of powder.

The guy I sold my .340 Weatherby to does not sweat ammo price. $120 a box of 20, if you can even find it in stock. He shoots one shot before he goes hunting, one shot to get an elk, then puts it away until next year.

I like shooting way too much to afford calibers like that, and I never was able to go elk hunting.
    My oldest brother has my dad's 300 Weatherby Magnum. I imagine those rounds are kinda pricey too!

Reactions: Leo

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have to say this thread took off better than I thought it would with responses. A day has passed and I made all of you wonder what I could possibly be selling...or not...it is my Marlin 336 chambered in .35 Remington (gregkl mentioned it earlier). I stumbled upon this gun at an estate auction in 2019. It wasn't the gun I went there for but I was happy with my bid and taking it home. Wasn't my first lever gun and won't be my last (pending the new Marlin 1895 SBL). Lost Californian mentioned the local gun shop for reloading and I believe I know which shop you're talking about. A coworker mentioned this to me a while back (before the whole pandemic started) and I hadn't even thought about that. I'm going to Texas soon for a hog hunt and the 336 was one of my options that I want to take. I'm not taking an AR; I want to use either a lever or bolt gun. The bolt gun I'm pondering to take is my Remington 722 chambered in .300 Savage and yes, I have plenty of ammo for it.
    35 remmy is a joy, as is a JM marlin lever gun.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Absolutly! Iv peddeled most guns off including my big safe. Looking at dumping my Dillon 650 and range membership next. Prices keep going up and its not worth it anymore. Add the panic and lack of availability. Not happy!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Absolutly! Iv peddeled most guns off including my big safe. Looking at dumping my Dillon 650 and range membership next. Prices keep going up and its not worth it anymore. Add the panic and lack of availability. Not happy!
    lol. I'll buy your 650...

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    BKniK82.png
    Those look like pretty good prices even for the early '90's! I regularly bought 9mm 124/115g LEAD RN RELOADS from a training instructor at $100 for 1000 rounds. Now he did throw in a .30 ammo can, but he expected you to bring it back as much brass as you could police up and return it with your next purchase.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I'm pretty much all shotgun nowadays. Still can't find much ammo for a 12 gauge either :(
    Its hard to find much of anything. When I do the price is double what I think its worth. Im also headed in all shot gun ditection. Made my own press to load 410 on. Im at $3 a loaded box. Putting a little meat in the stew pot too!

Attachments

• 20210513_122236.jpg
      20210513_122236.jpg
      627.4 KB · Views: 16
    • 20211005_093134.jpg
      20211005_093134.jpg
      852.4 KB · Views: 16

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    I did the opposite — 1.5 years ago, when the ammo prices went crazy and 9mm was close to $1 a pop, I brought a CZ82, as the commie 9mm was still under $0.30/round, brass cased.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Back before I reloaded, I decided to consolidate calibers and got rid of a couple of guns that were chambered in things that were expensive and not very practical for me at the time. There was a Beretta Bobcat (model 20, not 21) in .25 ACP, a Mossberg 100ATR in .30-06, and a Taurus Model 44 in . 44 Magnum.

I've since started reloading, and have acquired new guns in all pf those calibers except for .25 (because .25 ACP is just stupid), as well as a lot of other calibers.

I don't regret the decision, though. The Mossberg was a good shooter, but it was a cheap gun and I put the money towards a Marlin 1894 in .357.

The Taurus was a piece of junk with timing issues. It needed to go. I now have a S&W 69 which is a much better gun, and a lot more practical for me (2 3/4" barrel makes it a good trail gun...something I could never do with a 6" Taurus).

The Beretta wasn't a bad little gun, but I got sick of spending crazy money on hard to find ammo for what was basically the ballistic equivalent of .22 LR. I sold that gun to my BIL and he still has it. It works for him because he just wanted a gun to have a gun, and he rarely actually shoots it. I've since acquired some .32s, which IMO is a more useful cartridge. When I couldn't find bullets for it during the panic, I decided to cast them. I couldn't find any molds for anything under 100 GR, so I bought a cheap Lee 100gr mold and ground it down to below the first lube groove. It now drops 85gr bullets that work great in my KelTec P32 and Beretta 81.

I did also have an AR in 6.5 Grendel at one point. It was expensive to feed, particularly the brass, and being an AR it was kinda hard on it, and you'd lose a certain percentage in the grass. I eventually decided that what I was doing with it (shooting paper at 100 yards) could be accomplished just as well with .223, so I sold it along with all my brass and reloading components. Yes, the price of ammo was a factor on that one, but it was more my use-case that convinced me to move it. If I actually had a practical use for the cartridge, I'd have kept the gun.

Reloading is really the answer if you want to shoot a bunch of calibers. You can customize your ammo to what you want to do, and aren't limited by what's available at the time (which in a lot of cases lately is nothing). I'm currently trying my hand at casting for .303 British. If I can get them accurate, it'll let me feed a gun that's getting very difficult to find ammo or components for, and it'll be easier on the shooter, the brass, and the rifle.

Rong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    NE Indiana
    I have gotten rid of a few because of ammo. I have also bought some due to ammo. The whole reason I bought an sks back in the day. And a ciener conversion for my AR all those years ago.
    I have definitely passed on some deals because of ammo availability. 300 win mag, 16 gauge, 32 rimfire ...

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    About the only gun I briefly contemplated selling because of "ammo" was my Smith 629 44 Mag. And I'm not talking about factory ammo as its never fired one round that was not reloaded. But the price of its favorite bullet - Hornady XTPs - has increased pretty significantly - Midway has 100 rounds at $37.99!

But I don't take it out and fire hundreds of rounds so I decided to keep it for now as it would cost much more than I paid to replace it. And a big plus it is one of my most accurate revolvers.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    About the only gun I briefly contemplated selling because of "ammo" was my Smith 629 44 Mag. And I'm not talking about factory ammo as its never fired one round that was not reloaded. But the price of its favorite bullet - Hornady XTPs - has increased pretty significantly - Midway has 100 rounds at $37.99!

But I don't take it out and fire hundreds of rounds so I decided to keep it for now as it would cost much more than I paid to replace it. And a big plus it is one of my most accurate revolvers.
    I would be fine with one of those sitting in the safe. I had a Model 29,"dirty Harry" model that was my brothers who sold it to a friend who I traded a 629 Classic for. After owning it for over 20 years, I felt like it should be with the rightful owner; my brother. So I made him an awesome deal on it and he has it back home now.

If it wasn't for that, I would still have it. Though I didn't put 100 rounds through it in the 20 years I owned it.

Top Bottom