• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I bought a Dalton Baby Seal for $150. Great knife, very solid.

Baby_Seal_186230_1.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Dean's suggestions are solid, for a few bucks more $160-180 if you shop around, Benchmade's AFO-II is an unbeatable tool! I've had mine for yea...I mean since they became legal, it's a workhorse that doesn't mind abuse!

Benchmade AFO II Family

Be aware though, even though you're legal, Benchmade takes the position that if you personally send in an auto to them, you won't get it shipped back to you. You MUST send it through a BM Black Label Authorized dealer for any warranty or sharpening services!(I've beat mine to hell and back, and never used any warranty.)

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I have a kershaw launch 6 that I like. As mentioned above, they are available for well under $150. Also have a dalton cupid otf that I got for a song, but I don't carry it. Chances of finding one for $150 aren't as likely.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    as almost everyone else has said, the Kershaw launch is a great buy and a great quality knife, one of my weekend carry's is a launch 1 blue handle with a stone wash blade, for christmas one year I bought my dad one dark earth handle with a silver blade, I don't think any one has said a sog sogtac that's my other weekend carry knife, it hits your price point also,

the reason I carry those on the weekend and not daily the company I work for would :poop: bricks if they knew I carried a "switchblade". so I carry a h&k scortch (its a hidden release auto knife!)

but as someone else said most company's wont take a auto for repairs, unless it is shipped from a licensed dealer, that said, ive never had a problem with any of my quality made auto's (I've had problems with flea market crap, but for the prices I expect that)

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Cedartop,

The first thing you need to decide upon, is if you want an automatic OTF or an automatic folder. I know very little about automatic folders, but have a Microtech Ultratech OTF automatic. The next decision will be double-edge or single edge, especially if you're considering OTF style.

The nice thing about the Microtech OTF is that the spring that extends/retracts the blade remains in the relaxed state, whether extended or retracted. It's your thumb pressure on the button that loads the spring and ultimately launches the internal mechanism to move the blade. This means that there is no risk of the blade accidently extending in your pocket. It takes a very deliberate action on your part to make the blade actuate, but when it does it is lightning-fast.

The Microtech OTF is also automatic in BOTH directions (extend and retract). Very useful if your other hand is otherwise unavailable.

The Microtech OTF knives are premium-quality and sometimes difficult to find. They might be a bit out of the $150 price range, but take a look. They are fantastic in my opinion and worth saving up your pennies!

Our Knives - Microtech Knives

Last edited:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    From a Blog that I wrote a few years ago:

The OTF (Out The Front) design is susceptible to failure as far as the blade locking up when fired (deployed), and not fully retracting when desired. The opening at the end where the blade fires out is susceptible to dirt, crud, and pocket lint migrating inside the knife where springs and mechanisms are located. This can cause lock up problems during deployment and retraction of the blade, and is the number one reliability issue with an OTF design.(Note: Some of the internal tolerances on your higher quality OTF knives are thousands of an inch.)
    The other reliability issue with OTF knives is lubrication. OTF knives require more maintenance than any other knife. Each individual OTF knife will have it’s own requirements regarding the amount of lube/oil to keep it functioning properly. As an owner, you will have to determine how often lubrication is required to keep your knife functioning.

OTS (Out The Side) automatic knives are much more reliable than OTF knives simply because the spring in most designs is totally enclosed inside the knife handle, which (almost) eliminates the risk of contamination that occurs in OTF knives. It is very rare for a lubrication problem to occur with OTS, however, in very harsh and dirty environments, the OTS auto will require occasional cleaning around the pivot area, and re-lubing.

I would never recommend an OTF auto if you are LEO, Military, First Responder, or absolutely have to have your knife be a 100% reliable in opening.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    Can be.

Chris Fry at MDTS had an interesting FB/YouTube video about waves the other day and how they're not all equal.

His point was that the procedure on how to open a knife with a wave feature can be counter-productive in a "need it right this instant" instance. His argument was that if you have to swipe the knife backwards out of a pocket to get it to work - that may very well be counter to your interests at the time you need it most.

Modern Defensive Training Systems - MDTS | MDTSTraining.com - MDTS

If you do the FB - look him up

I have never been a fan of the "wave the knife back" draw. I carry my wave knives blade forward tip up for a quick reverse grip draw straight up and zero grip change to get a good purchase. Once deployed I can stab all I want because it is part of the draw. Draw up and stab forward/down.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I really like the Microtech Ultratechs that I own. Solid, reliable, tough steel (Elmax), feels good in the hand, good grip surface.
    But I actually carry a Benchmade Infidel. D2 is good steel, fits my hand better, a bit longer blade. But it has misfired several times. A good flick of the wrist will usually correct this, but I many have to reconsider.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Another vote for the launch. We lost power one night at work, and were told to replace hoses. The "tubing cutters" they gave us were crap. Fortunately, my launch was up to it. It's no gentleman''s Sunday penknife, but it is a sturdy and well made tool.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I really like the Microtech Ultratechs that I own. Solid, reliable, tough steel (Elmax), feels good in the hand, good grip surface.
    But I actually carry a Benchmade Infidel. D2 is good steel, fits my hand better, a bit longer blade. But it has misfired several times. A good flick of the wrist will usually correct this, but I many have to reconsider.

Rem Oil is your friend. 95% of the time misfires are due to lack of lubrication. Assuming that there is no contamination inside the knife, the other 5% can't be explained....it's an inherit problem with all OTF designs.

Latama40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2017
    Kendallville
    Another style or action type automatic you might consider are lever locks. These knives use a lever to act as the actuator and the lock release, when the lever is pushed forward (except for Mikovs) it lays flat on the scale and all but eliminates the possibility of accidentally deploying the blade in your pocket or when handling.
    The same thing applies when the blade is opened and locked, flipping the lever forward and its not closing with out flipping it back and pressing down to release.
    Also lever locks (typically) don't have pocket clips so they are carried like an old school pocket knife, which can be more comfortable for some folks and also seems to be less "intimidating" to the public as compared to many of the tactical OTS or OTF's.
    There have been many companies who have produced lever lock knives and at least a handful that still do. I personally would recommend Hubertus a German company with an extensive selection of models, materials and a great history of quality.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I just bought a ProTeck Godfather from the local sharp pointy cutty things enabler "Brad"
    You want one of these. You really do.

The casual observer should note that following the high end knife infection, the need to become a co-dependent enable ensues shortly thereafter.

Top Bottom