• printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    From a Blog that I wrote a few years ago:

The OTF (Out The Front) design is susceptible to failure as far as the blade locking up when fired (deployed), and not fully retracting when desired. The opening at the end where the blade fires out is susceptible to dirt, crud, and pocket lint migrating inside the knife where springs and mechanisms are located. This can cause lock up problems during deployment and retraction of the blade, and is the number one reliability issue with an OTF design.(Note: Some of the internal tolerances on your higher quality OTF knives are thousands of an inch.)
    The other reliability issue with OTF knives is lubrication. OTF knives require more maintenance than any other knife. Each individual OTF knife will have it’s own requirements regarding the amount of lube/oil to keep it functioning properly. As an owner, you will have to determine how often lubrication is required to keep your knife functioning.

OTS (Out The Side) automatic knives are much more reliable than OTF knives simply because the spring in most designs is totally enclosed inside the knife handle, which (almost) eliminates the risk of contamination that occurs in OTF knives. It is very rare for a lubrication problem to occur with OTS, however, in very harsh and dirty environments, the OTS auto will require occasional cleaning around the pivot area, and re-lubing.

I would never recommend an OTF auto if you are LEO, Military, First Responder, or absolutely have to have your knife be a 100% reliable in opening.

Of the 2 autos I have from you the Launch2 has been effected by pocket lint, wouldn't open fully, a quick clean and lube fixed it.

The Microtech, carried in the same pocket environment and used every day, has never misfired. :dunno:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Of the 2 autos I have from you the Launch2 has been effected by pocket lint, wouldn't open fully, a quick clean and lube fixed it.

The Microtech, carried in the same pocket environment and used every day, has never misfired. :dunno:

Carry 1000 Launch 2s and 1000 Microtechs in the same conditions over the same time and report back!

Heh!

Top Bottom