• ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Release the hounds....hunt them down...................:):

Seriously, I do not want to be bothered by such things. We buy our GS cookies from a neighbor...donate to charity of our choice...volunteer when we can...do our own home repairs. I do not want to be solicited. If I need something I/we are fully capable of finding what ever we need.
    Most door to door sales are scam based (not all but most) and I do not want those people on my property eye balling my stuff.

How about just not opening the door? I'm surprised INGO hasn't [STRIKE]devised[/STRIKE] demanded a National Do Not Knock list.

Probably read something like...
    Probably.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Out of principle alone I'd refuse whatever appeal an unwelcome solicitor made simply due to the fact that they cannot abide by a simple No Soliciting sign and I'd state that outright. With regards to opening the door, I do think I'd chalk the bottom of the door with my foot and peek through the peephole before opening the door. Alternatively, you can now get these handy-dandy peephole cameras which replace peeking through a viewer with a small LCD display on the interior of the door.

and if you are REALLY lazy, you can pipe it to your TV on an unused cable channel with a $100 gizmo. Door bell rings? Switch to the front door channel and you can see if its the neighbor or somebody else worth getting up for. ;)

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    The most important lesson in this whole thread is what you did really well. After you learned it was a 7 year old girl, you called your wife to deal with it. You may or may not be aware, but 7 year old girls can and will take your firearm away from you and shoot you in the nuts. If your firearm is displayed anywhere in the open, you would have been screwed. You saved the lives of your family and neighbors from this psycho 7 year old. If not their lives, at least their nuts.

Apriliaguy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2013
    Pendleton
    I may get beat down for this. And I know it's an apples to oranges argument. But do we pay attention to a sign when it says no weapons allowed. No. As long as thier not pushy or casing the joint. They only take five minutes of your time. I live in a sub division one of the largest in Indiana. Bout 800 homes and we had a soliciter for childrens books she was Russian or Slovakian. She would ask if you had kids which neighboor had kids ect. A lot of sheeple thought she was trying to steal kids for slave labor or sex trade. Fortville police picked her up. Talked to her and cleared her. Then informed the community that she was harmless. Never fined or gave her a trespass warning. Cops aren't going to do anything. The property owners or neighboorhood association is responsible for that. Don't answer and don't buy they will stop coming

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I may get beat down for this. And I know it's an apples to oranges argument. But do we pay attention to a sign when it says no weapons allowed. No. As long as thier not pushy or casing the joint. They only take five minutes of your time. I live in a sub division one of the largest in Indiana. Bout 800 homes and we had a soliciter for childrens books she was Russian or Slovakian. She would ask if you had kids which neighboor had kids ect. A lot of sheeple thought she was trying to steal kids for slave labor or sex trade. Fortville police picked her up. Talked to her and cleared her. Then informed the community that she was harmless. Never fined or gave her a trespass warning. Cops aren't going to do anything. The property owners or neighboorhood association is responsible for that. Don't answer and don't buy they will stop coming

I don't usually feel sorry for solicitors, but I felt sorry for that lady. Even after the CLEO posted a picture of him and her on Facebook and said that she checked out and is GTG, people refused to believe it. Also, ordnances vary from community to community, so there might be nothing law enforcement can do about it.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Not shot,but they would have messed themselves for opening my door without an invitation.You don't just walk in unless you live here.

Younger children can have boundary issues, sometimes exacerbated by the excitement of the moment. It is entirely plausible that the little girl was excited and just forgot her manners. It's also not necessarily a reflection of their parents or values, it is simply a 7 year old. Amazing the same website that defended a woman who intentionally hit a USSS officer with her vehicle can condone shoving a gun in the face of a 7 year old selling easter seals.

Apriliaguy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2013
    Pendleton
    Yes I got off that community page. We have some asshats that live here. Actually I got banned cause I said I was going to camp out and shoot the kids with paintballs. The kids causing all the mischief this summer. Lol

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Amazing the same website that defended a woman who intentionally hit a USSS officer with her vehicle can condone shoving a gun in the face of a 7 year old selling easter seals.

No one other than the guy who posted that is condoning that...

-----------------------------------------------------------;

And for the record, I am not angry with the 7 year old... I posted this to learn from the situation. It was the first time I ever felt the need to draw a weapon in my home or anywhere for that matter...

I also was looking for ways to keep solicitors out of my life... my sign was clearly not working... I had never given a peep hole a thought and I think that may be the answer...

Oh and if any neighbor of mine told a stranger anything about my children... there would be problems. I take it you don't have any children...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Younger children can have boundary issues, sometimes exacerbated by the excitement of the moment. It is entirely plausible that the little girl was excited and just forgot her manners. It's also not necessarily a reflection of their parents or values, it is simply a 7 year old. Amazing the same website that defended a woman who intentionally hit a USSS officer with her vehicle can condone shoving a gun in the face of a 7 year old selling easter seals.

Woah woah woah woah.............. Hold on there........

They still sell Easter seals?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I keep asking my self why I opened the door too... I definitely learned a few things tonight...

I think I rushed the door because it wasn't locked (first mistake) and I wanted to get between whom ever was at my door and my family. This is probably why also felt so Dumb when there was a little girl on my porch.
    JMHO, correct, the first mistake, and you will have nothing else to worry about !!!!!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Pocket carrying in my PJs and holster flew across the room when I pulled out my gun...plus I was pretty jacked up from thinking some one was breaking into my home... I couldn't do much at the time...
    I have a question for you, but I don't think I should post. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So....an ordinance says no soliciting w/o a permit.

If an ordinance said no lemonade stands w/o a 100 dollar license....people on here would be screaming bloody murder.

I hope there's an exemption for charity. I have done many door to door sales as a kid in Boy Scouts and the like. My daughter does it for girl scouts. My 'assumption' is you mean the annoying hail damage guy...not a 8 yr old girl in her uniform.

That said...she'd knock...she wouldn't open the flippin door.

On the down side...if our door tried to open unexpectedly...sadly I'd probably expect it was our neighbor girl coming over to play(yah, we need her to knock but we're working on it....she and my daughter are like sisters)...

I have a daughter who is a girl scout and we skip houses, even for people we know, with no soliciting signs. It is soliciting and kids and parents should understand this.

I don't want the scouts (Let's remember, they OWN that word. :rolleyes:) knocking on my door either. It makes no difference to me whether they're profiting or raising money for charity; I give to the charities of my choice, and they aren't the ones who pound on my door during dinner hour and try to cute my checkbook open.

Agreed!

Release the hounds....hunt them down...................:):

Seriously, I do not want to be bothered by such things. We buy our GS cookies from a neighbor...donate to charity of our choice...volunteer when we can...do our own home repairs. I do not want to be solicited. If I need something I/we are fully capable of finding what ever we need.
    Most door to door sales are scam based (not all but most) and I do not want those people on my property eye balling my stuff.

Exactly.

Most are scam based. Even the kids can be seen being picked up and dropped off by the carload in neighborhoods. These are often not the kids in your own neighborhood.

If I don't know the caller, I don't answer the phone. If I don't know the person at the door, I generally don't answer it, if I am home alone. If my wife is home, she'll make me answer the door, but the person on the other side gets "I am not interested", and then the door gets closed. No additional discussion is had.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

This is an example of us living in two different demographics.I'm from what most call the middle of nowhere.You're taught here that barging through someone's closed door can lead you directly into a situation that you'd rather not be in.We also don't have that many solicitors around here.

I have a family to protect first and foremost and if someone is not aware that you're coming,you better knock.If someone just opens the door and comes on in,they'll have a barrel ready and waiting on them simply because I know that my family is inside and I don't know what's trying to come at them from the outside.Once you're determined not to be a threat,as in this case,the gun will be put away but not until.I didn't say that I'd shoot through the door or open fire once it was fully open,I said a barrel would be at the ready.The whole "tickling the brain" was purely an expression.

Furthermore,for the record,my opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent the opinions of INGunOwners.com as a whole,its moderators,or other members.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    This is an example of us living in two different demographics.I'm from what most call the middle of nowhere.You're taught here that barging through someone's closed door can lead you directly into a situation that you'd rather not be in.We also don't have that many solicitors around here.

I have a family to protect first and foremost and if someone is not aware that you're coming,you better knock.If someone just opens the door and comes on in,they'll have a barrel ready and waiting on them simply because I know that my family is inside and I don't know what's trying to come at them from the outside.Once you're determined not to be a threat,as in this case,the gun will be put away but not until.I didn't say that I'd shoot through the door or open fire once it was fully open,I said a barrel would be at the ready.The whole "tickling the brain" was purely an expression.

Furthermore,for the record,my opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent the opinions of INGunOwners.com as a whole,its moderators,or other members.

Well said and I agree. We teach our kids to respect others and their property for a multitude of reasons. Not only to build character, but to keep them safe. This may prove to be an up hill battle with the current climate in the US of entitlements and most people thinking they deserve what others have worked for...

Maybe its time to pack it in and move out to the sticks...

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    signs dont have weight of law

First, Disregarding my privacy is disrespectful and only sets the person up for an unpleasant experience on my door step.

Second, its $100 fine for soliciting at a residence with a "No Soliciting" sign posted in my County... so it actually does have the weight of the law...

Third, see my post above about people now days feeling entitled to other peoples property... its Tough raising kids with morals in this country as of late...

Top Bottom