• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Excuse me while I go wait for my testicles to drop back down and my toes to uncurl.

Not NO...but HELL NO!!!!!

I am have severe acrophobia, and I was getting queasy just looking at the video.

I came to post the video below. I made the mistake of watching it on a big screen TV. Wow.

Strap on your seat belt before you click on this video.
    Every last person I've showed this to has squirmed in their seat until the end of the video or they decide to quit watching.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_obCDVHIQE

And the craziest thing? I cant stand ladders, etc, but I skydive. :dunno:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Ok Mark, my daughter just returned from a five year sentence at a Chicago university (Rush Medical University) and we are trying to figure out what building that is. She who claimed to know most buildings thinks she knows which it is, but can't be sure. So, which is it please? :D

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Strap on your seat belt before you click on this video.
    Every last person I've showed this to has squirmed in their seat until the end of the video or they decide to quit watching.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_obCDVHIQE

Amen to that.
    I first saw this one at least five years ago, and it's Incredible footage.

This one is also incredible, certainly another pucker factor vid:

[video=youtube;SkFH8lLvKZ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkFH8lLvKZ0[/video]

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Meh, if the pay is good I'd do it.

I was on top of a building in San Diego during an earthquake. This particular building was on rollers, as is required of all new buildings out there. What no one tells you about it is that the building doesn't shake as much as sway, and continues to sway for several seconds after the quake is done. If you don't have some frame of reference (like window shades moving back and forth) with which to orient yourself, it's a dizzying experience in a literal sense.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I used to regularly go to the very top of the bank bld. in Indy (whos name is on it now???) and climb about halfway up on of the antenna's to change out a series of sensors for the building automation system. It was an experience. Especially in the winter.

SCREW (Not the word I really want to use but this one probably won't be censored) THAT!:scared:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have never been that high without jumping out of an airplane. The heights I worked, I really did not mind if the weather was cooperating. Even 300 feet is pretty impressive as a visual vantage point.

I was an apprentice at the time the EPA was really getting strict on smoke stack emissions. Because of that, monitoring equipment got installed along with bleed burners on the top of smoke stacks. With rare excerption, the young guy in the crew always makes the climb to service the equipment. We were required to do the double lanyard climb, so it was a slow process. It was always harder with a caged ladder than it was with open rungs, due to not being able to freely move my legs. There were a couple of really tight ones at Amoco, Whiting plant, that banged my knees the whole way up. It also would catch as I dragged my tool bag behind me on a rope. Since we still had to double lanyard, I prefered open rungs. In the back of my mind I always wondered what would happen if I did get in trouble 150 feet up the ladder. The fat old guy on the ground who was chain smoking Camels would not be able to come help me. I never saw any corpse hanging from a safety harness, so I figured it could not be too bad.

I did like the view at the top. There is a mental high when working at heights. Once you are above 100 feet in the air, it is ALWAYS windy. Chilly weather on the ground becomes miserable in the air. Wet weather was even worse. The higher you go, the worse it is. By the time you put on enough clothes to stay warm and dry, you feel like you cannot move. Having to keep your hard hat on was plain stupid. I "accidentally" dropped one from 150 or so feet. When the forman talked to me I asked him if I should abort the climb next time, he just walked away. It becomes very frustating to try to hear and talk on your radio to the ground man because of wind roar. The nice thing was if anyone thought I was going too slow I would just offer that they climb up and show me how it should be done and they would shut their mouths.

The side benefit is that while the older men got fatter on the ground, I was in pretty good shape.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom