Somebody on Gunbroker is asking for trouble, ATF style!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    So what would be the legallity on something like this. I know I always figured if ya had to ask and you feel its is illegal it probably is a good idea just to so with it being illegal. I am not wanting to buy one but if it is not made to put on a firearm then would it still be a silencer.
    "The term “Firearm Silencer” or “Firearm Muffler” means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for the use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication."

Pretty much, if it decreases the sound at all, and can possibly be attached to a firearm, it can be declared a silencer. If the ATF comes to your house and says the bottle full of coke in the fridge is a silencer, unfortunately, you're probably going to have to fight it out in court.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    He must have some idea about the legality because he states that he ships the insides first and then the outer tube separately to "Avoid issues", or something similar. Scary situation for some innocent slob ordering one thinking they are legal.

That's to save on shipping cost/weight

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    I can tell who didn't read what we are talking about. We are talking about the silencer on ebay that is made in Cyprus so no its not in the USA.

If you go back to the two posts mentioning seller outside of U.S. you'll see that "EBAY Silencer" was not mentioned in either of those. The way threads become disjointed and split off in myriad directions it is difficult at best to know which item one is talking about. So when in doubt, one goes back to the actual topic the thread was started on.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    If you go back to the two posts mentioning seller outside of U.S. you'll see that "EBAY Silencer" was not mentioned in either of those. The way threads become disjointed and split off in myriad directions it is difficult at best to know which item one is talking about. So when in doubt, one goes back to the actual topic the thread was started on.

Sorry, didn't think that my post was going to "jack" the thread. Maybe I should have put, "better muzzle break" (on ebay) to replace fake can on ninja rifle on GB! :rockwoot:

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    *UPDATE*

Got a reply from the "Lady" seller on gunbroker.com, I think she was YELLING at me?

She said it is "WELDED" and it is like a "BUTT STOCK FOR GLOCK!"

Alrighty then, now I understand completely :n00b:

Here is her reply;

Linda Holbrook
    Subject: RE: Question regarding GunBroker.com Item 223706896

IT IS A CHARGER 10/22 THE SUPPRESSER IS FAKED WELDED, IT IS LIKE BUTT STOCK
    FOR A GLOCK!

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    A butt stock for a glock is illegal too though.... (assuming its not a sbr that is...)

Yep, I know that, and you know that, but I don't think she, knows that :dunno:

Wonder if she knows this;

(M8) What can happen to someone who has an NFA firearm which is not registered to him?
    Violators may be fined not more than $250,000, and imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both. In addition, any vessel, vehicle or aircraft used to transport, conceal or possess an unregistered NFA firearm is subject to seizure and forfeiture, as is the weapon itself.
    [49 U.S.C. 781-788, 26 U.S.C. 5861 and 5872]

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    key word: AIR RIFLE

they make air rifles in all the calibers listed on that ebay page.

You can put them on an air rifle as long as you adhere to the ATF requirements.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    key word: AIR RIFLE

they make air rifles in all the calibers listed on that ebay page.

You can put them on an air rifle as long as you adhere to the ATF requirements.
    That is a silencer any way you slice it. Weather you claim to put it on a air rifle, air gun, and or a .22.

"any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm"

"Numerous paintball and airgun silencers tested by ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch have been determined to be, by nature of their design and function, firearm silencers"

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    there are provisions in place for using the device on an air rifle or 1/2 the people on air rifle forums would be in jail.

Top Bottom