• Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Great article, as always.
    I agree 100%.
    Trigger finger discipline is the only safety you need on any gun.
    With enough training it's a safety that will never fail.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Oh, snap. You called glocks "safetyless", and here comes Kirk.

Ok, how many times has a gun fired itself without someone pulling the trigger? Right, I think we can agree that guns don’t pull their own triggers so if you have an AD/ND it’s likely because you pulled the trigger when you weren’t intending to.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    How in the world did you manage to break a grip safety in such a way that it no longer allowed the pistol to fire?

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    How in the world did you manage to break a grip safety in such a way that it no longer allowed the pistol to fire?

I didn't purposely break it, but it was bent internally and pressing it in didn't disengage the safety anymore. It had to be replaced by the gunsmith at Range Masters (before they closed up shop). It was a Colt too.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Rob doesn't know a lot of Marines, obviously.

LOL.

Well, what I was told is that if you slightly depress the grip safety then pull on the trigger right at the point where grip safety frees the sear up... and pull harder and harder on the trigger until it releases it can cause the deformation. Did I do this? Perhaps. At one time I was guilty of fiddling around with that gun a lot while watching my favorite tv show of the time. I don't recall doing it, but I was told the damage looked as though this was the culprit. Or it could have been the fault of poor heat treating at the factory. I'm going with this.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I dislike manual safeties on defensive handguns. I not only dislike them because they're pointless (IMHO) but also because they can be dangerous to the operator.

Let me explain:

Someone take my safety, please! | The Bang Switch

Flame suit on. :rockwoot:

Very nice writeup. I agreed with everything you said.

Now, since you have your flame suit on, what's your thoughts on aftermarket triggers on defensive carry pistols?
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...609-legal_ramifications_of_a_trigger_job.html

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    In a perfect world I would agree. Of course, in a perfect world we wouldn't have need of a defensive weapon on our person.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008

I avoid them.

Not because of any legal issues that some claim might arise. I don't fiddle with the triggers on my defensive guns because I don't want to mess with OEM parts that were designed specifically to operate in the firearm. Does that mean the OEM trigger is the absolute best? No, but I trust it (Glock).

Now, with that being said, I have a Travis Haley Skimmer trigger coming. I wanted to give it a try because it's built using OEM parts that are cleaned up to produce a superior trigger that's more 1911 in feel. Ok, I'll try that.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    heh. Former 0341/8152 here. I'm pretty good at breaking things as a result. But never a grip safety.

Ah, so your question was more as a learning point or comment of respect and admiration, rather than incredulity or shock. Tone is sometimes lost on the internet. My apologies, sir.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'll save kirk the trouble.

Have you heard about the 870 at shoot-rite?

*kicks rocks, crosses arms*

Can't even do my own material. *kicks more rocks, hands in pockets* Still gonna try . . .

we can agree that guns don’t pull their own triggers so if you have an AD/ND it’s likely because you pulled the trigger when you weren’t intending to.

Hey, have I told you guys about the 870 at Shootrite?:D

Eez gon, eez not safe.

Each to his own, just follow The Four Rules and we'll be fine.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I avoid them.

Not because of any legal issues that some claim might arise. I don't fiddle with the triggers on my defensive guns because I don't want to mess with OEM parts that were designed specifically to operate in the firearm. Does that mean the OEM trigger is the absolute best? No, but I trust it (Glock).

Now, with that being said, I have a Travis Haley Skimmer trigger coming. I wanted to give it a try because it's built using OEM parts that are cleaned up to produce a superior trigger that's more 1911 in feel. Ok, I'll try that.

Good point.

Thanks for the reply.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Great, another "what I have or do is best post".

Last ND/AD I saw posted occurred when the user shoved his Glock into his hip holster and the trigger caught on the edge of the leather holster. Hole in the floorboard and hot seat in the pants never would have happened with a safety equipped firearm.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Great, another "what I have or do is best post".

Last ND/AD I saw posted occurred when the user shoved his Glock into his hip holster and the trigger caught on the edge of the leather holster. Hole in the floorboard and hot seat in the pants never would have happened with a safety equipped firearm.

It's just a poor designed holster or one that should have been replaced.
    Just like carrying a Glock in a purse without any holster with pens and other stuff in there who could activate the trigger.Just not a smart thing to do.
    That's user's fault here.Not gun's fault. :dunno:

Top Bottom